Ultra Runners

Leadville (Read 1219 times)

DoppleBock

Just get a little better each week! 

I have 12 weeks to train for this right? No problem. Be afraid

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The King of Beasts

I have 12 weeks to train for this right? No problem. Be afraid

are you feeling pretty good ? how is your AT holding up ?

12 weeks is about right.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Yes, we need reports about how all you leadville crazies runners are doing with your training...  

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Yes, we need reports about how all you leadville crazies runners are doing with your training...  

Training is going good - Flirting with little injuries and legs feel tired when walking up a flight of stairs every night - tired, not sore (knock on wood).  About the line it seems you must walk...

Shooting for my PR in weekly mileage this week ... 90-100.  We'll see.

Hope all is well with everyone else regardless of the the goal race.  This year will be going for the big buckle. Random race day injury or "off" nutrition / hydration is what can break the day....

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)
          Purdey

Self anointed title

are you feeling pretty good ? how is your AT holding up ?

12 weeks is about right.

AT is a bit sore, but not getting any worse. Increasing the mileage slowly but steadily. If this continues I should be in shape to complete within cut off - but I won't expect any more than that. You still tearing it up?

HoosierD - yep, that sounds pretty good to me. Tired legs, but not sore? Perfect. It is those miles that you train on already tired legs which will get you through. Keep listening to your body and adapt your training - but it looks like you have this nailed.

DoppleBock

My training is going according to plan

I had planned on running a lot less miles (For me at least) enjoying non-running life more.  I pretty much feel like a half ass slacker in my running, but I am enjoying it.

I am trying to do these each week

*  Long hilly and technical trail run (4+ hours)

*  2-3 hours of hill repeats

*  Speed workout

I have failed on the speed workouts, so now I have to make them a priority with only 25 days until Grandmas Marathon.

My biggest issue is I am trying to half ass train for 3 very different races

*  Marathon (6/18)

*  Mountain 100 Mile (8/20)

*  24 hour race (9/17-18)

I am hoping that the strength of Leadville training will carry over to the 24 hour race.  But I sure would not be doing hills or trails, but just really long, flat road runs for the 24 hour.

After the marathon is done, I will start adding much more high incline TM walks - 15-30% incline.  I will do more miles of hill repeats - Up to 4 hours and I will start hitting some 6+ hour trail runs.  The problem is summer is not ideal training time - Our family boats a lot and travels a lot in summer. 

If you notices the last couple years, I basically train like a animal to end of spring and then take the summer off of serious training.

It will be a delicate balance this summer between family and running.

DoppleBock

I have managed to avoid any dead legs this year.  Typically I have trained to the level of constant dead legs - Months at a time.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Damn it. I now have a painful left knee. - even on my pathetic mileage.

DoppleBock

If you had wom a few more races, we could put you out to pasture as a stud horse ... But it might be the glue factory (Or McDonalds your choice) for you my friend. 

Up to 4 hours and I will start hitting some 6+ hour trail runs. 

That is a lot of trail running.   For some reason I got the impression that leadville wasn't super technical.  Although, I do get the impression that DB may like to be over prepared!

DoppleBock

trail running is good for the soul + it makes you strong.

I do not have many options for hills - Glacial 50M makes Ice Age 50M look flatish.

Plus night running on trails - Gotta love it

Purdey

Self anointed title

If you had wom a few more races, we could put you out to pasture as a stud horse ... But it might be the glue factory (Or McDonalds your choice) for you my friend. 

If I go to McDonalds, do I get to consume my body weight in burgers before they slaughter me?

If I go to McDonalds, do I get to consume my body weight in burgers before they slaughter me?

I don't even think Chuck Norris DB Wimpy could eat that many McDonalds burgers.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The King of Beasts

any new news ? still hurting ?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

For some reason I got the impression that leadville wasn't super technical.

It's not.  Hope pass is mildly techical.  The CT is buttery single track, but not really technical.  Tabor to Mayqueen, and Mayqueen to Hagerman Pass Road is rocky and technical (especially inbound, it's hard on the legs).  The rest is paved, gravel, or dirt (jeep) roads.