Ultra Runners

RWOL Ultra marathon forum.... (Read 89 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

RWD

also for sleep i think running with some intensity the during the taper and not too many days off during the taper help. I do strides at a maybe 5k pace to get the feel of a little workout.  A short run the day before the race too may help.  And a beer or two but earlier in the evening not right before bed. Which is also carb loading.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Seattlemax - I think that is the best route, you get to see the 3 main trails.  Although I have done the SK up on other outings and love climbing that trail.  Knowing you, throw in a couple extra repeats on that while you are waiting for your group.  Also strongly recommend the side trip to Ribbon Falls.  320 group?  So speedy marathon types?  Probably the types that worry the park service the most.  Hope they can downshift the gears.

FSocks - Great post, agree completely.  Lots of trail users and respect and trail etiquette trumps time.  Lucky you get to spend so much time there.

RunningDenver - Should be a good time to go.  You might have some snow, but the trail will be clear.  Wind gets cold on the north, so light jacket, beanie, and gloves.  Depending on the time before the marathon, it should be ok.  You will have sore legs for a while.

Trailhound - Spur of the moment race.  I like it.  No time to overthink things.  Have a good race.

FTYC - Welcome.  Anyone who posts a pic of beer has my attention.  Eyes are too bad to see what kind it is.

RWD - Sorry about the DNS.  On to the next, right?

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

Sending good luck to the racers this weekend!  Hound at Hennepin 50, Obtuse at Cuyamaca 100k and Centurion (if you're here?) at Sri Chinmoy 24 hr.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

good luck racers! i have a friend doing baker lake 50k tomorrow and our first real storm of the season just blew in. the summer may have made us slack. i hope everyone is ready for fall & winter weather!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Finished Hennepin 50, great race,  Denver ensure worked great, no nausea/ vomiting,  did that, mini payday bars, and cliff ginger chews. FNKYD, inspired by you I did try some bacon at aid station was good, like the salt,  RWD.  I didn’t sleep much at all, so I guess ignore my unsolicited advice.  I will sleep tonight.  Full RR to follow.

RWD

Finished Hennepin 50, great race,  Denver ensure worked great, no nausea/ vomiting,  did that, mini payday bars, and cliff ginger chews. FNKYD, inspired by you I did try some bacon at aid station was good, like the salt,  RWD.  I didn’t sleep much at all, so I guess ignore my unsolicited advice.  I will sleep tonight.  Full RR to follow.

Congrats, and glad to hear your stomach behaved. Sorry about the sleep. I did try something similar to your advice, I actually ran a 5 mile race 2 days before my marathon in July. It didn't work.

Beryl - next race is in 2 weeks! And it's local so I can do it sleep or no sleep. I am considering doing a 12 hour race in North Dakota on October 29th, too.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Kudos to Obtuse, who finally got that elusive WS qualifier yesterday at Cuyamaca 100k.  A Seattle friend who ran it (also to get his qualifier after a rough year of injuries) said it was really hot.

Beryl, thanks for the R2R2R advice.  I don't think anyone in our group plans to move quickly.  My DW may come along too, if she trains a little and doesn't psych herself out about being old and slow.

Finishing up packing for Moab.  I'll start driving tomorrow - trying to avoid really long days in the car.  Eyeing the weather cautiously each day.  Looks good through Saturday, hopefully it will stay good through Monday.

drock69

I can't take credit for the table website, Seamax is the one that posted about it originally. It is a really handy tool.

37.6 miles with walks, only 4 runs this week, caught a cold last weekend, so didn't start running until Thursday. Going for a long trail run with someone from my work tomorrow. A little nervous about it, he's almost an elite, he's won or placed top 3 in a lot of local ultras. He said he's fine with running slow, so we'll see if he's okay with it. 3 weeks out from the trail marathon, that's really a 38k trail race. Think it could take me up to 6 hours, it's not an easy course, hoping there's no snow on the higher parts of the course, if does go through the bottom of a ski resort

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Oct 02, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 08, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                  Mon 1.2 16:56 Lunch Walk 64 strava
                  Tue 2.3 16:09 Lunch Walk 182 strava
                  Wed 1.2 15:47 Lunch Walk 55 strava
                  Thu 2.2 15:45 Lunch Walk 176 strava
                  Thu 1.4 13:47 Evening Walk 73 strava
                  Thu 4.1 8:53 6.6km — Mountainview — Easy Run 236 strava
                  Fri 6.4 9:53 10.2km — QE Park — Easy Run, beautiful morning 410 strava
                  Fri 2.2 15:58 Lunch Walk 172 strava
                  Sat 9.4 9:34 15.1km — 2x QE Park — Easy run 669 strava
                  Sun 7.2 9:41 11.5km — QE Park — Easy Run 436 strava
                    37.6 11:18   2473  

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

breadnatty08

Nabbed a new 50k PR at a local fatass yesterday finishing in 4:04.  I was ambitiously hoping for sub 4 which could have been possible if it was cooler than the upper 70s that it was.  Effort was pretty hard the whole way so I'm not sure if I had anything left to push.  Works out to be a solid long effort leading up to Richmond.  Have a couple more weeks of hard training before taper but taking an easy week after this race.  The rest of the week:

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Oct 02, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 08, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                    Mon 5.9 7:43 Afternoon Easy 436 strava
                    Tue 9.0 7:50 Taper Tempo 3x6min 1164 strava
                    Wed 6.1 7:55 Morning Easy 521 strava
                    Thu 5.2 7:35 Full Moon Ez w/ strides 226 strava
                    Fri 3.3 7:35 Morning Shake 183 strava
                    Sat 30.8 7:49 PB&J 50k 2725 strava
                    Sun 3.0 8:20 Swampy Recovery 180 strava
                      63.3 7:48   5435  

Trail hound, glad to hear Hennepin went well.  Looking forward to the RR. 

Find me on Strava

RunningDenver

Woo hoo !!  Some great racing.

First off - MASSIVE congrats to Obtuse.  Persistence pays off.  Very nice.  You must be very happy ?

Beadnatty too.  Very solid 50K in warm temps.  High 70s ?!!  That must have been tough.

Trail Hound - congrats as well.  Thinking it was warm there too ?  One of my friends dropped from the 100.  Glad the ensure worked Smile

Seattle - what's the race in Moab ?  I've done a few there - both road and trail.  Amazing little town.  Even with their funky drinking laws...

Back on the roads for me, so not a whole lot of elevation.  Ran 71 for the week, with a couple of faster miles.  Did 12 progressing yesterday (7:30 to 6:40), which definitely felt harder than it should.  Seeing a doc tomorrow to get blood tests - but then I did something this morning that I haven't done since April.  Got on the scales....  ahh.  I'm 10 pounds over race weight...  no wonder my 'race pace' is really hurting me.  I've read each pound is 4-5 seconds / mile, so that makes me feel a little more relieved.  Now I just need to lose 10 pounds in the next 8 weeks...  Smile

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                      Tue 12.1 7:29 12 with 8 x half mile repeats in the park 139 265 strava
                      Tue 3.0 8:24 Running the Dog.... 0 45 strava
                      Wed 9.3 8:17 9 before 9am conference call 133 226 strava
                      Wed 4.7 8:18 Evening Run 0 114 strava
                      Thu 10.4 8:05 Ten for Thursday 129 321 strava
                      Fri 7.0 8:50 Podcast recovery run 122 170 strava
                      Sat 2.6 8:50 Warm up 117 59 strava
                      Sat 12.0 7:08 12 progressing with the gang 148 242 strava
                      Sat 2.5 8:48 Cool down 142 45 strava
                      Sun 7.6 8:10 70s today, snow tomorrow. That's silly. 128 200 strava
                        71.2 8:00     1687  

______________________________________________________________________________

17:50 ('11) 37:23 ('16) 1.23:02 ('13) 2:53:22 ('13) 

2019: Leadville 50, Leadville 100, CIM

skim1124

Running to eat

Adding my big congrats to Obtuse and Breadnatty.  Impressive feats to be proud of.

Finished a 45-mile week yesterday.  The week was mainly 6- or 8-mile runs with some tempo or hills on three of the runs.

I'll probably run three more times this week before the race for a total of just 15 miles, stretch regularly, and try to eat well without gaining weight.  The forecast is not great: one says a low of 60 with a high of 70, another says 67 and 81; both say a chance of rain.  I would prefer 45 to 55, so I'm hoping the forecast is wrong.  More than anything, I think the weather will dictate my pace and goal.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Obtuse, Bread & Hound congrats! i kinda got  sucked into fb lately and in a great group of people but they are mostly fast road people, which is cool but not much ultra talk and zero on the rwol page. also feel just a bit nauseous from trying to read with little video clips moving in the periphery all the time. lots of nice photos too though. guess you gotta take the bad with the good as they say.

trying to figure out the weekly table thing. it keeps giving me an "aw snap" error.

had a good week. actually feeling great today after 64.3 miles with one lr and one workout. it's about where i want peak miles to be. i dont think im going to do the half that i dropped down to from the full. i just feel like if i go out there ill race it. i just dont think i want to go to a race just as a training run. esp a road race. i would go and say f'it and race it damn the consequences. but the consequences are high. i have an intuition or my body is telling me or something after a 5k two weeks ago (or was it 3?). and running right now is very important to me and i want to keep doing it. i dont want to have dead legs for 2 weeks. i'd rather focus on the 6-hour in 3 weeks and then ahead to black canyon in feb. and i know this one well it's on perfect trails with lots of vert and hiking and eating and no sustained anything just up and down, up and down. ive done this one 4 times now and so far recovering well from each one.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Congrats Bread on the 50K PR and Obtuse for the long sought after 2018 ticket.

Denver - wasn't hot, maybe mid 60s-70s, but with clouds, strong wind and rain it evened out to

not be too hot.

Max  have fun at Moab.  Look forward to hearing about it.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Moab 240 tracking info here:  https://pointlenana.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/moab-240-tracking/

I think it's 240 meters, or thereabouts.  Oohhh.... well, it looks like I'm wrong on that.

These long races are completely different beasts.  Half my house is packed into plastic drop boxes.  My plan has 30-75 minutes in every aid station just for eating and dealing with equipment.  The weather looks good for the first 2 days but it's too early to know about my second two days and if things don't go well there's a 5th day in the offing.  Still, I'm really looking forward to it - a very very simple life in a beautiful place.  I have to be one of the luckiest people in the world to get to do that.

Congrats to TrailHound and Bread!

berylrunner

Rick

Congrats to Bread, Hound, and Obtuse!!!!

Some nice training weeks logged from others.

I had a great week of 50 quality miles, 3000 gain.  Two highlights, a pr of a peak scramble that I do often, topping out at 11,307 and later in the week a 11 mile run at a pace of 8:10.  Fast for me, but surprisingly didn't feel like I was pushing it.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100