Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50M (Read 719 times)

DoppleBock

I guess I am only going top 3 for Ladies - My heart wants to pick Cassie 1st ~ But since she pulled out of the WC100k with re-occuring injury issues, I think it would be odd to be ready to go all out by IA50.

Sandi - For the repeat (7:21)

Denise Bourassa for the 2nd spot at Western States (7:33)

Christine Crawford - Running a smart race for 3rd (7:42)

Anyone help recognize the top ladies?

Cassie Scallon

Sandi Nypaver

Christine Crawford

I see Shannon McGinn ~ Really nice woman - But not at the level of the other 3 I mentoioned

Tracy Hoeg won Mad City 50k ~ But has been injured most of the time since

Looks like http://ultrasignup.com/results_participant.aspx?fname=Denise&lname=Bourassa&age=0 Denise Bourassa is up with the top 3

I just do not recognize and / or want to take the time to look up all the women ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I do believe all 3 top men with run under 6:20 this year.  I do not see the course record broke (Andy Jones 5:53:41) ~ But I do see a 6:0x being run to win.

Women's record 7:00 ~ Donna Perkins is not in jepardy.  I do believe somewhere in Cassie Scallon is a 7:05-6:55 but with the injury not this year.

They say Glacial 50M is @ 45 minutes slower than Ice Age = Cassie ran a course record 7:45 in 2010 and a 50k course record of 4:15 in 2011.

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm rooting for my friend Sean (and also Cassie, because they's like peanut butter and honey), but my money would be on Shaun and Cassie.

Sean's out.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DoppleBock

Do you have a link?  

Sean's out.

DoppleBock

I see you ran Carmel - Looks like you ran a good race! 

Sean's out.

Kalsarikännit

So here's my question:  With a race like this that has a beautiful course, is well organized, is one of the oldest races in ultrarunning, great after race party, and tough course records, why aren't some really, really elite runners coming out here?  Do they not think much of the course record even though the men's record is 16 years old, because it is in Wisconsin, so they don't think it must be that tough?  Is the race too close to WSER?  Is it because lodging is a bit of a pain?   I don't understand it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I belive the Mountain guys believe any race worth doing is at Elevation in the Mountains ... Where all other runners are at a disadvantage to them.  It is more of a fair fight when a mountain runner comes to sea level - They still have a O2 carrying advantage ~ but sea level runners are not disadvantaged/  What does this mean = A sea level runner know exactly how to run their best race.  At altitude a sea level runner has many questions and is not comfortable in hammering or does not know how to pace etc - So they not only have a O2 carrying disadvantage, but a disadvantage in knowing how to properly pace.  The mountain guys are not stupid - They have a good thing going ~ making the rest of the USA come to them to race - On their turf where they have the biggest advantage.  This way they continue the perception of dominance.

I also believe that the rythm of running 5 miles straight up and then 5 miles down etc is completely different than 1-3 minutes up - down, repeat 100 times or so.  They bodies are tooled in a way to have a significant advantage on these big power climbs.

Why does Duke play all their pre-season games on their home court in basketball?  The only reason to play away from home is if the money is good enough or the brand exposure (Marketing value) is great enough.  It does not mean that Duke does not have a great team - They just make sure they stack the deck.

Just my humble opinion

DoppleBock

They force Midwest - Southern runners to go to their Home Court to prove themselves - It really is a racket

Imminent Catastrophe

I see you ran Carmel - Looks like you ran a good race! 

Yes, it went well--PR and BQ, finally.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

Yay!  Congrats.   

DoppleBock

Jill Perry - I forgot when I picked my top 3.  I do not know what shape she is in ... but she runs hard.  I hold the right to finalize (Change my mind) on my men's and women's picks before the race.

Kalsarikännit

I always see her as being more of a non-technical, flattish ultrarunner.  I think that is where she excels.  In a 24 hour she would easily beat the rest of the field.  Of course when you are a good runner you can do anything.

She absolutely destroyed me at Umstead.  I thought I had a good race there and put down a respectable time and she beat me by something like three hours.  Nothing like getting lapped in your PR race to put you in your place.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Country in and Suites in East Troy

Anyone else staying here?  

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

That's where we stayed last year.  They were nice and put out a super-duper early breakfast for the runners.  (I'm not there this year).

Feeling the growl again

Dang.  Sorry we missed you there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills