Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 - USA Championship Race (Read 698 times)

Btw...a great place to find 24 hour (and all other) stats is realendurance.com.  If you go to the summary section you can waste a ton of time looking at results.  It is useful to see where everyone is at for the year in the 24's.

I have run a few races with #40 (Jess Mullen) including the first 12 miles at  Where's Waldo last weekend and Pac Rim where she ran 116 miles.

I also met #49 at the same race (Pac Rim)

Ultrarunning is truly a small world

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

DoppleBock

My guess is there are some holes in Real Endurance lists - But looks failry accurate

2009 RACE RESULTS

Lone Ranger Ultra Marathon: (20 in 24 - 2009 results)

Serge Arbona: 1st Place Male 146.28 Miles- 1st Overall

I do not find him on the list in 2009.

Apparently I am going the wrong direction -

2008 = 72

2009 = 6

2010 YTD = 12

I have a feeling I will move a couple of spots futher down after Northcoast - Weather permitting

I couldn't believe this girl at Umstead.  I thought she was just some youngster that went out way too fast.  Boy, was I wrong.  She did great.

She has the highest mileage in a 24 on American soil this year (125+ at 20 in 24).

Btw...a great place to find 24 hour (and all other) stats is realendurance.com.  If you go to the summary section you can waste a ton of time looking at results.  It is useful to see where everyone is at for the year in the 24's.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

On On

USATF will not allow headphones to be worn because it is a championship race.  They have said nothing about putting up an AC/DC tribute band in the middle of the park...

USATF waived this rule for this race.  Feel free to wear headphones.

Kalsarikännit

You beat me to it!  I am so happy and excited.  I'm not a big music person in real life, but during a run it can really pull me out of dark spots and get me into a rhythym.  This makes me crazy happy.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

Jen - this would be a big deal for me too. I rarely (almost never) listen to music while training - but in a long ultra it can really haul your ass out of a bad patch.

You'll ruin your knees!

Funny, I have carried an mp3 player on more than a couple hunnerds and NEVER used it!  I always think... I can use it when I go through a tough spot... but when I get to the anticipated tough spot, putting earbuds in my ears just doesn't sound like a good idea...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Kalsarikännit

Funny, I have carried an mp3 player on more than a couple hunnerds and NEVER used it! 

Me too.  On trails I really enjoy the quiet.  But on roads or loops I love it.  This sounds terrible, but there are times that it feels like it would be just too much effort  to put headphones on and push play.  Major effort.  But when I do, I find myself running faster and with less (perceived) effort.

I know I won't use it early on.  It is nice to chat with the other fools.  But around hour 15...I will need help!

DoppleBock

Wow - 5 days away

I am very excited to be able to crew 2 runners and help another.  It will be great to see a lot of familiar faces and witness the race unfold.  We will know 3 men and 3 women from the 2011 US team for the World Championship in Brugg Sunday morning.

Low 50s at start - High in low 70s - mostly sunny - A bit breezey - But what do you expect on the shores of Lake Erie - Looks pretty decent.

How many new faces will emerge with their time to shine?

Will there be a new Men's or Women's US National Record?

Will Wrigleygirl smile a lot?

Will I have to use my 14 foot bullwhip to "encourage" her to keep moving?

All I know is it will be a ton of fun!

I was talking to Anna Piskoska on Sunday and I mentioned  that a "friend" of mine would be there as well. For the life of me the only name I could think of at the time was Wrigley Girl. Talk about  embarrasing.  

Anyway GOOD LUCK AND KICK ASS!!! 

MTA: embarrassing as I couldn't for the life of me remember WG real name. 

GO WG!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

Anna is one tough cookie - Although I think she needs top 3 to make sure of making the 2011 team which kindof sucks as she finished 10th in the world and top US finisher at the World Championship.  I currently have the list for the 3 open spots at:

Jamie Donaldson = 136.83 - 2009 World Champs race

Jill Perry = 136.3 - 2009 NorthCoast

Susana Bon = 134.7 - 2009 San Franciso 1 day

Of course if Jill Perry hits top 3 that would open her "open" spot and Anna is next with 133.23 @ 2010 World Champs race.

Who will be the 3 men and 3 women who punch their ticket this weekend?

The rest of us will have to sweat it out until New Years Day.

The King of Beasts

Jamie Donaldson = 136.83 - 2009 World Champs race

she was a no show at Leadville.

maybe she was saving it for NC24 or maybe she is still off her game from her spring races.

I know who I will be cheering for.

GO WG !!

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Kalsarikännit

Will I have to use my 14 foot bullwhip to "encourage" her to keep moving?

Wait one minute...I think I missed something...

I met Anna at Umstead.  I thought she might be having a bad day because of her expression, but I guess she is one of those runners that just maintains a really focused look during the races.  She is focused, and I'm off telling dirty jokes to aid station volunteers.  I have no idea why she beats me.

We will have the top four women from Umstead battling it out.  Fun.

You in, Roots?

Good luck!

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Go WG!!! You're going to kick ass. Have fun and as someone wise once told me, "just keep moving". Smile I think you should just keep moving faster than those other ladies.

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

No, not in.

If you asked me a month ago, I was in. But not this year. Some year I will run a 24.

DB, WG, and any others coming to Cleveland: Let me know if you need any gear (coolers, tents, chairs, etc) or any questions about getting around town. I can meet on Friday.

I won't be on site for the entire duration but will come to watch for part(s). Perhaps I can even give DB a little relief from crewing sometime through the night.