Ultra Runners

Ultrarunning tragedy in Chinese 100K race (Read 16 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

nOOky

Incredibly sad and unfortunate. Sounds like a brutal exposed climb and rapidly deteriorating weather. Some races going forward I bet will increase the gear requirements. Perhaps having someone out on the course with communication may have helped? I don't want to second guess things yet, so many of us know the extyreme risks, and don't always take them seriously enough I bet.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Feeling the growl again

Reading around I see some questioning how this could happen, but I get it.  Years ago 7 miles into a marathon I had a good lead in 1st and was getting warm so I threw the shirt under my race jersey to a friend at the 7 mile mark.  At around mile 13 a cold front hit WAY harder than any forecast....30mph wind, freezing rain/sleet.  By mile 17 when my wife tried to hand me a gel it slipped right through my hand because I couldn't hold it, my hands were froze.  At mile 23 2nd place caught me, being young and stupid I wouldn't quit because I was on the podium.  I finished, delirious, and spent the next three hours on a hotel couch under a pile of blankets with hot soup being force-fed to my by my wife who is a nurse.  She considered whether I needed to go to the hospital, worst hypothermia I've ever had.

Now add altitude, probably 60mph winds instead of 30, terrain, and zero help available even if you want to stop...I can see how this could happen.  I've been in bad conditions in the mountains with full gear to the point we were concerned and we had fully adequate gear.  Can't imagine being in that perfect storm only equipped for a normal race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills