Ultra Runners

May 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 35 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

New month, so new thread. Temperatures should be warming up. Forecasts here to reach 80s this week. Not much time to get acclimated for the upcoming races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I feel like all my treadmilling would help acclimation cuz it’s so hot but it’s the humidity that really kills me.  I should get a vaporizer

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Ive Gotten an idea that I should register for a 100 miler in November 1 mont after the INdianna trail 100 mile in October.  The reason would be if I would DNF the Oct one, at least I would have a shot at keeping WS tickets.  I don’t have any big dream to run it, but it seems like it would be fun so why not start the process.  I’m trying to remember how I felt 1 month after my last and only 100 mile run, would I be up to it.  I honestly can’t remember, but I wasn’t running much.  But if I did that then the first 100 wouldn’t be “all in”, and I feel like that alone might be an extra little something to keep me going.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Ive Gotten an idea that I should register for a 100 miler in November 1 mont after the INdianna trail 100 mile in October.  The reason would be if I would DNF the Oct one, at least I would have a shot at keeping WS tickets.  I don’t have any big dream to run it, but it seems like it would be fun so why not start the process.  I’m trying to remember how I felt 1 month after my last and only 100 mile run, would I be up to it.  I honestly can’t remember, but I wasn’t running much.  But if I did that then the first 100 wouldn’t be “all in”, and I feel like that alone might be an extra little something to keep me going.

lol. is your logic going in circles?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

so i 'ran' 9.5 M today at a 12:00 pace and can now attest to what Beryl was talking about. it is just as tiring as running in the 9's. and i was afraid the whole time ill get locked into that !@#$ing pace. there is irony here though with the advice given to Dhuffman about her first 50. i mean the advice seems to suggest evening things out as much as possible, like when they say 'if you think you are going too slow go slower' but i am intrigued by Beryl's performance doing 100 miles of fartleks. when i think back to whiskey basin i have to admit my race was a poor performancebut my spilts werent too extreme. would it have made a difference in my fatigue level if i had gone faster when i could? perhaps not! i was pretty wiped out either way! gotta test this.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Would you dns the second race if you finish the first?  Or still do both?  The second race would have to be on the first weekend of Nov, so only 3 weeks after the IN race.  Sounds a bit brutal to me but I’m sure crazier things have been done.  I do think you might be less motivated to push hard in the first race if you know you have another shot at it 3 weeks later.   Might even be counterproductive, encourage you to drop.

Dunno, those sorts of numbers are like Monopoly money to me....

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Would you dns the second race if you finish the first?  Or still do both?  The second race would have to be on the first weekend of Nov, so only 3 weeks after the IN race.  Sounds a bit brutal to me but I’m sure crazier things have been done. 

There are always a few crazy ultra runners, crazy even for that group, who enter the Grand Slam of Ultra Running which is 4 100 mile races, between June 2 and September 7 this year. They must run 3 chosen from
                Old Dominion 100  - 6/2
                Western States 100 - 6/23

Vermont 100 - 7/21

Leadville 100 - 8/18

then finish the series by running Wasatch 100 on 9/7.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

dhuffman63

Trails

TH, my event on the 21st was rainy and 45, the one this Sat will be 80 and sunny.  Thank goodness for the hot treadmill workouts but the course has zero shade and the sun will be the real problem.  Luckily I think I have lizard DNA.

fnkyhnd, since we are all experiments of one, all I can do it try things and see what works and what doesn't.  My nephrologist has no qualms about my distance runs but with the caveat that if I start to have issues I will drop.  I enjoy the challenge to me and what I can and can't do.  I love reading what everyone else does and I might try some of those things but if they don't work, they don't work.

berylrunner

Rick

Not a good idea because you are not going to DNF your 100.

If you do DNF your 100, the only reason will be injury, then the 3 weeks isn't enough time anyway.

Registering for your November race.  Will that take up a spot in a sold out race?

If you finish your October 100 will you DNS the next?  Be sure to check the race policy if refund, rollover is even possible.

Racing for a qualifier changes how you run the race.  Do you want a "just finish" goal?  I think runners that race for qualifiers are running too conservative which maybe shorting their training investment.

Do you really want to play the WS game if you don't want to even run it?

Good discussion.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

berylrunner

Rick

so i 'ran' 9.5 M today at a 12:00 pace and can now attest to what Beryl was talking about. it is just as tiring as running in the 9's. and i was afraid the whole time ill get locked into that !@#$ing pace. there is irony here though with the advice given to Dhuffman about her first 50. i mean the advice seems to suggest evening things out as much as possible, like when they say 'if you think you are going too slow go slower' but i am intrigued by Beryl's performance doing 100 miles of fartleks. when i think back to whiskey basin i have to admit my race was a poor performancebut my spilts werent too extreme. would it have made a difference in my fatigue level if i had gone faster when i could? perhaps not! i was pretty wiped out either way! gotta test this.

I am going to sound like your Doc and ask if you should be running already.

I am going to read your Whisky basin report again.  You are being too hard on yourself.  Wasn't it a vacation run?  The fatigue was travel related.

Yes.  I contradict myself all the time because it is all about experimenting.  It will become boring if I ever figure things out.  Chalk Zion up to a fluke.  I would never recommend doing fartleks for 100 miles, but it seemed to work.  The key was I know enough about myself to catch a low early and if one does happen how to get through it.  As soon as this recovery is over I plan to experiment more and make those fartleks longer.  I have preached going slow forever, now I want to run more.

5-24  Bryce 100

berylrunner

Rick

TH, my event on the 21st was rainy and 45, the one this Sat will be 80 and sunny.  Thank goodness for the hot treadmill workouts but the course has zero shade and the sun will be the real problem.  Luckily I think I have lizard DNA.

fnkyhnd, since we are all experiments of one, all I can do it try things and see what works and what doesn't.  My nephrologist has no qualms about my distance runs but with the caveat that if I start to have issues I will drop.  I enjoy the challenge to me and what I can and can't do.  I love reading what everyone else does and I might try some of those things but if they don't work, they don't work.

Ha, looks like I was typing at the same time and your "experimenting" beat my post.

I had forgotten about your health issues so that will cause some challenges.  Sorry about that.  I know sometimes I try to be "that experienced one" but I am in the same boat as everyone else, still learning and having fun, and fun still trumps everything else.

Have a great race.  It is heating up way too fast isn't it?

5-24  Bryce 100

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I am going to sound like your Doc and ask if you should be running already.

I am going to read your Whisky basin report again.  You are being too hard on yourself.  Wasn't it a vacation run?  The fatigue was travel related.

Yes.  I contradict myself all the time because it is all about experimenting.  It will become boring if I ever figure things out.  Chalk Zion up to a fluke.  I would never recommend doing fartleks for 100 miles, but it seemed to work.  The key was I know enough about myself to catch a low early and if one does happen how to get through it.  As soon as this recovery is over I plan to experiment more and make those fartleks longer.  I have preached going slow forever, now I want to run more.

i should re-write that report now. my thoughts have evolved some. one thing i didnt talk about much was i do have a criticism of my pacer but i was so grateful and honored that he even wanted to pace me i felt like i shouldnt say anything. but it's this: he told me he was reading a book about pacing. i thought he was kidding but then he later mentioned not having finished it. if there really is a book on pacing i mean forget the book and engage me -your runner- in some conversation instead! should i tell this to the very nice person who plans on pacing me in sept? i gotta make sure to do some long runs with her before then.

the other thing i didnt mention were some of the details that came back later. like the group of bikers who made me stop about 7 times t\for them all to pass me and then stopping in front of me in a line at a rocky section to pick up their bikes. i was like 'no fing way, this is what i am out here for!' and ran past them over the rocks. and one of them was yelling ahead "runner!" i really hate it when i see a good section, set a line and then get stopped!

on the revovery: i dont know...but what i do know is that i know myself better than anyone else (i am in pretty good shape and i take care of myself and the bette4r i profuse the quicker i will heal and running = profusion+! and i think most people are f'ing lazy and out of shape and that's why recovery time is so long for most) and i am the only one who can listen this closely to my body. just went 8M and back in the 9's and feels good! Smile

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

berylrunner

Rick

Just making conversation.  Of course you know how to handle your recovery the best.  Glad it has been going well for you.

5-24  Bryce 100

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Just making conversation.  Of course you know how to handle your recovery the best.  Glad it has been going well for you.

thanks! not being defensive, just prepping for when the dr gets mad at me!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Would you dns the second race if you finish the first?  Or still do both?  The second race would have to be on the first weekend of Nov, so only 3 weeks after the IN race.  Sounds a bit brutal to me but I’m sure crazier things have been done.  I do think you might be less motivated to push hard in the first race if you know you have another shot at it 3 weeks later.   Might even be counterproductive, encourage you to drop.

Dunno, those sorts of numbers are like Monopoly money to me....

I wouldn’t want to dns. .  It fills up so I would feel like a jerk taking someone’s place then DNS.  Although the first time I ran there I got in off the wait list and it was honestly like Christmas morning when u were a kid.  I don’t Think i will do this, I doubt it would turn out well.   I can remember being fine not running much for 2 months so, I doubt I can recover in that time frame.  I think IT has a 30hour cut off so come Hell  or high water I think I can finish it.  It’s enough time to reach the low of lows and crawl out of it if need be.

Fnkyhd.  Reading my comment a second time makes even my head hurt!

Berly. Good point about racing a qualifier.  I think getting a qualifier would be secondary to running a good race after all that training, I agree.  I already have in mind <=24 hrs goal.