Ultra Runners

May 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 35 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

No harm no foul beryl.  I want to and need to learn and since I live in such a rural area you all are a godsend.  You are correct in that yes I would like to be faster but I think that if it comes it will take time and patience.  Sometimes I have no patience but my body reminds me.

i should re-write that report now. my thoughts have evolved some. one thing i didnt talk about much was i do have a criticism of my pacer but i was so grateful and honored that he even wanted to pace me i felt like i shouldnt say anything. but it's this: he told me he was reading a book about pacing. i thought he was kidding but then he later mentioned not having finished it. if there really is a book on pacing i mean forget the book and engage me -your runner- in some conversation instead! should i tell this to the very nice person who plans on pacing me in sept? i gotta make sure to do some long runs with her before then.

Here's an good topic, pacers.  Working at aid stations, I've seen some interesting scenarios: runner & pacer no longer speaking to each other.  Runner & pacer who don't speak the same language.  Runner abandoning pacer at the aid station.  Pacer wanting to leave injured runner at the aid station and continue on his own.  I've never considered using a pacer for a 50 miler.  Have heard they can help at longer distances, especially when it's dark and the runner's brain is tired and it's easy to get off course.

Funky, I think your instincts are right.  Go for some long runs with your pacer before the Sept. race.  Talk about expectations, what you need, what you don't need, your pace, what you usually eat.  Hopefully that person has paced before and hasn't just read a book about it!

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I can't  imagine an entire book on pacing, a chapter maybe in a book on ultra running, but how much more can you say than find out what your runner needs and expects, then do your best to follow that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

.  I've never considered using a pacer for a 50 miler.  Have heard they can help at longer distances, especially when it's dark and the runner's brain is tired and it's easy to get off course.

ya mostly he's family and we just wanted to hang out...plus he got to run for free. all in all it was a good experience. my pacer for the 100 is a regular running buddy so that's good.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

i should re-write that report now. my thoughts have evolved some. one thing i didnt talk about much was i do have a criticism of my pacer but i was so grateful and honored that he even wanted to pace me i felt like i shouldnt say anything. but it's this: he told me he was reading a book about pacing. i thought he was kidding but then he later mentioned not having finished it. if there really is a book on pacing i mean forget the book and engage me -your runner- in some conversation instead! should i tell this to the very nice person who plans on pacing me in sept? i gotta make sure to do some long runs with her before then.

the other thing i didnt mention were some of the details that came back later. like the group of bikers who made me stop about 7 times t\for them all to pass me and then stopping in front of me in a line at a rocky section to pick up their bikes. i was like 'no fing way, this is what i am out here for!' and ran past them over the rocks. and one of them was yelling ahead "runner!" i really hate it when i see a good section, set a line and then get stopped!

on the revovery: i dont know...but what i do know is that i know myself better than anyone else (i am in pretty good shape and i take care of myself and the bette4r i profuse the quicker i will heal and running = profusion+! and i think most people are f'ing lazy and out of shape and that's why recovery time is so long for most) and i am the only one who can listen this closely to my body. just went 8M and back in the 9's and feels good! Smile

I think I'm not quite understanding the criticism - did he not talk to you while you were running together? You definitely want to have a pacer you can be honest with while you are running - who will be quiet when you want to be quiet, or will talk up a storm with a million topics if you need it, or who will run ahead of you or behind you or whatever. My mother's cousin paced his brother in an ultra (I think Superior/Sawtooth) and at one point he had to turn his flashlight off because this brother was so annoyed by the light bouncing around. Did you tell him anything about what you expected out of a pacer?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just checked in on live tracking at the EMU 6-Day in Hungary where bhearn is making his debut. 38:30 into the race and Bob is in second. Many ultra runners consider this race to be the effective world championships for the 6-Day because it draws such a competitive field.

2024 Races:

T Hound

Slower but happier

I wouldn’t be a good pacer unless the person wanted someone who is not chatty at all.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Good luck to Bob, and dhuffman at your races and Paul in the Grand Canyon.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I think I'm not quite understanding the criticism - did he not talk to you while you were running together? You definitely want to have a pacer you can be honest with while you are running - who will be quiet when you want to be quiet, or will talk up a storm with a million topics if you need it, or who will run ahead of you or behind you or whatever. My mother's cousin paced his brother in an ultra (I think Superior/Sawtooth) and at one point he had to turn his flashlight off because this brother was so annoyed by the light bouncing around. Did you tell him anything about what you expected out of a pacer?

he was right on my heels. I didn't need to chat. I mean I could have...or not but I didn't need him right behind me. it made me nervous and he had to constantly adjust his pace to mine. it made me feel like a baby with a helicopter parent lol. anyway what I needed more of was just the knowledge that someone was watching out for me but maybe more from a distance. (when I was a kid we went on many hikes and my Dad would just leave me behind esp is I was whiney...but as soon as I thought I was lost there he was waiting for me!) it would have been fine with me if he waited for me at the aid stations and was able to run at his own pace and enjoy the day...or wait behind me and catch up. idk....but what I meant about conversation I meant prior to the race. when I do these things I switch my brain off when I get very fatigued and am not too good at conversation.

TMH, sounds good to me! sometimes I feel like I need to chat for the other person or just by habit but prefer not to

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just checked in on live tracking at the EMU 6-Day in Hungary where bhearn is making his debut. 38:30 into the race and Bob is in second. Many ultra runners consider this race to be the effective world championships for the 6-Day because it draws such a competitive field.

Bob posted this on his FB page yesterday.
                      "For those watching the 6-day race at home, FYI I’ve torn my left tibialis anterior muscle. Again. I’d have thought that would end my race — and it may well, but not immediately."
                      Despite what the medical team was able to do, it looks like he is out of the running. It's been 9 and a half hours since he recorded a lap.

2024 Races:

Crap, bummer about bhearn.

I saw SeattleMax and Obtuse yesterday when I was at the Bolinas Ridge AS at Miwok 100k. They were chugging along nicely. Way better than they had any right to be, given SMax’s bum hamstring and Obtuse’s BOS-Big Sur-Miwok Trifecta.  No biggie, apparently!

I did 19 today, 46 for the week. About 3300 elevation gain. Signed up for a marathon next weekend for a training run. Should get some hill work there.

Huh, for Western States-o-philes, this is sort of big news.

https://www.wser.org/lottery/one-time-lottery-bye/

dhuffman63

Trails

WC would you put me down as a DNF for my Heartland 50k on May 5th.  I had to drop due to heat exhaustion.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC would you put me down as a DNF for my Heartland 50k on May 5th.  I had to drop due to heat exhaustion.

Sounds like you've been having a tough year so far with your races. We've had a sharp spike in temperatures here and I'm worried about the same thing happening at my 50K on Saturday. It also doesn't help that a sore heel that has been plaguing me for months has kept me from training well. If it weren't that this is one of two races I try to run every year I'd probably skip it.

2024 Races:

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

too bad about Bhearn but great for Seamax. sounds like he did pretty well on very low effort. sry about the dnf dhuffman but heat exhaustion is serious!

my week last week was almost 40 miles. lingering soreness at the surgery site and i know it is still healing but running doesnt seem to bother it...or at least there is no sharp pain. going to see surgeon today for a follow-up. i am so looking forward to using my abdominals again! suppose it's going to take some retraining

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24