Ultra Runners

2012 Western States 100 (Read 537 times)

Trying not to sound paranoid but there are some ppl that get drawn frequently. It is supposed to be weighted for those that are not drawn. I'm hoping 3rd time is charm. Hardrock has new system. I like it. I think WS should require a previous 100 finish to narrow pool... flame away Smile

There are probably some people that this will be the only 100 they will ever run, e.g. they see it as the Boston of ultras.  When I first heard people talking about WS100 I assumed it was very hard to qualify for, e.g. there were time limits for age categories etc.  IMHO, the qualifying standards are easy for <40 males and become increasing difficult for masters, etc.  I have no violent reaction about narrowing the pool, but I do think it should be slightly more fair.  I think they can find a way to do this and not need to leave the course open for 40+ hours...

Kalsarikännit

WS closes in 30 hours. Hardrock is kept open for a long time for a simple reason, it is supposed to encourage people to seek shelter or not go above the treeline in case of lightning, which is standard during the afternoons in the high country in summer.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

There are probably some people that this will be the only 100 they will ever run, e.g. they see it as the Boston of ultras.

It is true that many folks consider it "the Boston of ultras", and that to me makes it even more reasonable that it shouldn't be someone's first... just like Boston, for someone going the BQ route, isn't their first marathon.  And you can't qualify for Boston by running a half.

They've fiddled with the races that they do/don't allow for Western States qualifiers, I think.  But I don't remember what they removed.  I know I qualified via American River (same area, nothing at all like challenges in WSER).  I could have with White River perhaps... that's a little more compatible.  Up here, similar to Ms Girl's Chicago example, folks qualifty via a race called Autumn Leaves.  Flattish and mostly paved.

bhearn

I agree.  It isn't an intro to 100 running kind of a race.  Give more people a chance to finish.   

They've fiddled with the races that they do/don't allow for Western States qualifiers, I think.  But I don't remember what they removed.  I know I qualified via American River (same area, nothing at all like challenges in WSER).  I could have with White River perhaps... that's a little more compatible.  Up here, similar to Ms Girl's Chicago example, folks qualifty via a race called Autumn Leaves.  Flattish and mostly paved.

For 2013, they have winnowed the list of qualifying runs a fair amount. Javelina 100K is no longer on the list -- nor is Autumn Leaves.

I read an old article by Laz (Barkley RD).  He made a good point about not making WSER your first.  He pointed out that both your first and WSER are really special moments.  Why combine two special moments into only one?

It is true that many folks consider it "the Boston of ultras", and that to me makes it even more reasonable that it shouldn't be someone's first... just like Boston, for someone going the BQ route, isn't their first marathon.  And you can't qualify for Boston by running a half. 

I read the same article a few years ago. That's one reason I ran another 100 first. Yes, in a sense WS is the Boston of ultras, certainly in terms of its history.

So everyone highly recommends that you do at least 1- 100 miler before WS100?  How about HURT100 as an intro?Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

WS is cool, but I think they get the benefit of hype (like Boston)... much like Leadville does.  The story of WS getting started is a really great part of the lore of ultra running, but I don't think what they have today resembles much of that original spirit.  FWIW, I have only been out there once and then as a pacer... I did get admitted through the old two time loser rule... 5 years after I started trying to gain entrance... by then, I was no longer physically able to run.Sad 

That said, a couple of things stick in my head as I read through this thread... 1) There are some really cool 100 mile races out there that are not hard to get in (Bear, Bighorn, etc.) AND are just, if not more of an epic race!, 2) I felt that the whole WS deal had a pretty elitist, and unwelcoming especially to crew/pacer-people and 3) all the attention at the aid stations is cool, if that is what you need/want.  One of my favorite 100's was Cactus Rose the first year... they had aid stations, but except for very few of the AS, there were NO PEOPLE... you were on your own!  But I like not having a pacer/crew... not a lot of questions/talk/chatter when I need to concentrate on what to do at the AS... but that's just me.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You'll ruin your knees!

So everyone highly recommends that you do at least 1- 100 miler before WS100?  How about HURT100 as an intro?Big grin

For me, as I branched out and did other 100's, I fell out of lust for WS.  Hardrock almost ruined me fro all others...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

I have "run" (far different from actually running) pieces of the HURT loop. It is most excellent.

bhearn

Ellie Greenwood beat Ann Trason's old record of 17:37:51.  With a freaking 16:47:19

Patience: Ellie Greenwood’s 2012 Western States 100 Race Report

DoppleBock

50 or 100 - I have been thinking this would be a most excellent adventure

Bighorn

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You'll ruin your knees!

50 or 100 - I have been thinking this would be a most excellent adventure

I've done both...

Given the out and back nature of the 100, the 50 puts you in the "night section" of the 100, which is the most scenic.  You are also overtaking the back of the 100 mile pack (maybe even the middle 1/3 of the pack) in the 50 which can be kind of cool, too.  That said, the 100 is quite epic!  Either way, you win!

MTA: I have race reports on both if you're interested.

DoppleBock

That wold be nice - Race reports. 

I've done both...

Given the out and back nature of the 100, the 50 puts you in the "night section" of the 100, which is the most scenic.  You are also overtaking the back of the 100 mile pack (maybe even the middle 1/3 of the pack) in the 50 which can be kind of cool, too.  That said, the 100 is quite epic!  Either way, you win!

MTA: I have race reports on both if you're interested.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

3) all the attention at the aid stations is cool, if that is what you need/want.  One of my favorite 100's was Cactus Rose the first year... they had aid stations, but except for very few of the AS, there were NO PEOPLE... you were on your own!  But I like not having a pacer/crew... not a lot of questions/talk/chatter when I need to concentrate on what to do at the AS... but that's just me.

It wasn't "all the attention" though.  It was one person's undivided attention.  You roll in and you have someone on your side.  You don't have to fight to get a bottle filled, and they were all very knowledgeable.  Do you have blank, and how many miles until blank?  Were all met with answers by people who knew what was going on.  They had your drop bag ready for you, too.  No time lost.

I have never used a crew, and have only used a pacer once.  Aid stations like they have at WSER means you don't need a crew.

I guess everyone keeps talking about the hype of it, but when I was in the mountains, it was just me and it felt like any other race.  (Well, it was busier on the trails.  I remember because there were a lot of times there were long stretches where I couldn't any alone time to pee!)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

You'll ruin your knees!

That wold be nice - Race reports. 

Www.NTTR.org - reports tab... scroll down to Bighorn and look for me...Lynn Ballard. Sorry no clickey, working from tablet.