Ultra Runners

2023 Tarawera 102k race report. (Read 13 times)

nOOky

I'd copy and paste here, but it screws up the formatting and deletes the attached images for some reason, so opening the link works best, sorry.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jZDumICUJ-750Ne7qX5RmrpAmjzBrjBBI5b5t07_GnA/edit?usp=sharing

General remarks regarding traveling ultras...

Pack all of your critical race gear in your carry on backpack or bag. Shoes, socks, shorts, glasses, spare contacts, shirt, jacket, pants, nutrition, lubes, etc. Drop bags too if they will fit. Poles can only go in a checked bag.

Carry more than the required gear unless you're an elite running fast. Buy expensive, light, durable gear. You can use it in your training throughout the year. Buying cheap stuff just to meet a requirement isn't wise, especially if it's heavier or not comfortable. More and more races are requiring basic survival gear anyway.

Carry your phone in a bag, along with some cash and maybe a credit card. Pack your gear in appropriately sized Ziplocs. They will slide out of pockets easier, stay mostly water-proof, and you can organize and keep certain things together. I've seen people pull something out of a running pack that they stuffed in earlier, and other things fall out with it. You might want that left glove in 5 hours.

Try to carry more and visit aid stations less. Searching for a drop bag, taking stuff out of it, then dropping it off is time consuming. Believe me an extra 2.4 pounds in your pack is not that noticeable.

Be sure race volunteers know what they are doing. I've had a well intentioned volunteer just grab my bladder by the hose and try to yank it out, breaking the hose connection and making water run down my back because I tried to use it anyway. I've had a volunteer fill my entire pack with carbonated water versus still water, yuck.

Wear your most comfy shoes to start with, wearing less cushioned shoes and then changing later on when your feet start to hurt doesn't gain you anything. Don't change shoes and socks unless you actually need to. If nothing hurts, obviously what you are wearing is working well for you.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

dktrotter

Dorothea

Ah! The race report has pictures! Amazing! Look like a beautiful trail. Thanks for sharing Nooky, and also congrats on the race! Those 3 minutes are annoying, but you know you probably had it in you. Cool to see what the work with the new coach is bringing. And those tips about packing and shoes are really helpful.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: April 28, Glass City Marathon, 3:29:53. Saw deer; cried; didn't melt in rain or heat. 

Great report, pics and race tips.  Lucky that the weather didn't impact things too badly, other than the race re-route and bonus kms.  So close to sub-15, but if you gotta poop, you gotta poop!

PS Is that medal as big IRL as it looks in your pic?!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR