Ultra Runners

November 2023 Ultra Training Thread (Read 19 times)

Pain is my friend

I got in 63 miles last week with 7 k vert. I had 2 long runs. One 12 miles with 2600 ft vert and the other 16 miles with 3700 ft vert.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

"If you have never run a UTMB I would say you don't have an educated say in the matter"

Ha! if that's the case i dont want an educated say in the matter. i hate crowds, plus i dont have that kind of money anyway. i am educated enough to know that i would be miserable, jet lagged and claustrophobic as hell.

40M last week. still fighting a cold that went into my chest. covid tests are negative but i am starting to wonder.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Duke of the Internet

"If you have never run a UTMB I would say you don't have an educated say in the matter"

Ha! if that's the case i dont want an educated say in the matter. i hate crowds, plus i dont have that kind of money anyway. i am educated enough to know that i would be miserable, jet lagged and claustrophobic as hell.

40M last week. still fighting a cold that went into my chest. covid tests are negative but i am starting to wonder.

Yeah I'm glad to have a UTMB supporter in here.  I don't know any different.  I have never done one of there races nor do I have any interest.  To be clear, my lack of interest has nothing to do with the drama in the media.  I just don't like races when you need to carry a bunch of gear (for your own safety).  Plus there races are super expensive. 

Pain is my friend

I got in 70 miles last week with 11,800 ft vert. Ran North Kaibab to So Kaibab on Friday. Had planed to do another crossing of the Grand Canyon but my buddy’s stomach went south going up the north rim. Amazing day.

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

40-some miles last week.

Krash, nice week. i missed the GC post. my Strava feed is getting full of a lot of posts from clubs and ads and such.

ok here's a QOTD for Strava users: on Strava they have a slider scale where you estimate the effort level of an activity. I never really know what to put here since most of my activities contain a variety of effort levels so I try to estimate an average. like on a tough course with a lot of miles i am not going to go into high effort but moderate effort over a long time...is that equal to high effort?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Duke of the Internet

40-some miles last week.

Krash, nice week. i missed the GC post. my Strava feed is getting full of a lot of posts from clubs and ads and such.

ok here's a QOTD for Strava users: on Strava they have a slider scale where you estimate the effort level of an activity. I never really know what to put here since most of my activities contain a variety of effort levels so I try to estimate an average. like on a tough course with a lot of miles i am not going to go into high effort but moderate effort over a long time...is that equal to high effort?

I assume this slider is for people that pay for the premium Strava?  I have the free version and don't have this or am unaware I have it.

Krash-Nice run.  I did R2R2R earlier this year for the third time.  It NEVER gets old.  I would do it every year if I lived in the southwest.

nOOky

40-some miles last week.

I enter the same evaluation in Garmin or Final Surge. Basically I put down the overall effort. If it was an easy run I put that. If it was a run with strides or fartleks I may consider it medium or hard based on the overall feeling and how I feel when I'm done. If the run is long hill repeats with recovery in between if I'm feeling shot by the end I call it very hard etc.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I assume this slider is for people that pay for the premium Strava?  I have the free version and don't have this or am unaware I have it.

Krash-Nice run.  I did R2R2R earlier this year for the third time.  It NEVER gets old.  I would do it every year if I lived in the southwest.

it's there. i have the free version also

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Up early for a 5 mile turkey trot. Haven't ran one for years, maybe a decade. Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate it!

37:55 for 5 miles or 2nd in my age group, the fast guys must have slept in lol

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Happy Thanksgiving all!

training is going better with a major move towards more strength training fewer running days. the only downside is that the excess T changes my personality somewhat 

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had one of my lowest months in a long time. I only ran 165 miles in Oct. I ran 80 miles last week with 5800ft vert.

I put in for WS100. I have 4 tickets. I have a chance. I got in last time with only 2.

Want me to show up to the lottery and pretend I'm you so you can get a 5th ticket? I hear they have card games and additional raffles for entries. If you need assistance during the race just let me know and I'll help out.

I'm probably going to sign up for Tahoe Rim Trail 100 miler. It's my first and I'd like to get under 24 hours. I don't really know how to train and I don't know if I have the athletic ability to do it. I DID get the 50 miler done in 11:1 or something like that, and it (applying to the 100) is mostly due to the 50 miler being a qualifier AND expiring this year. I also think I want the 5 year belt, but mostly a sub-24 on a hard 100 mile course. I've no clue what training will be like for January to June and I've no races scheduled as tests/tune ups. I also have ZERO intentions of telling my wife what I'm doing until much later in the year 2024.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

Even with 5 tickets my odds don't go up much.

You got this bro. You can do it. You have lots of time to get ready. We are here for you for training ideas. When is Tahoe rim? July? I am thinking about doing that one in 2025. Doing a family reunion near the race in Tahoe. I feel 50 mile training is the same as 100 milers. Let's talk.

Updated!! I just looked at the Tahoe 100 course. It looks a lot like the Bear 100 I did the end of Sept. With 5,000 ft less vert. You can almost put the 2 races elevation charts on top of each other and they would look the same. You can look at my strava for training ideas. https://www.strava.com/athletes/610560

Want me to show up to the lottery and pretend I'm you so you can get a 5th ticket? I hear they have card games and additional raffles for entries. If you need assistance during the race just let me know and I'll help out.

I'm probably going to sign up for Tahoe Rim Trail 100 miler. It's my first and I'd like to get under 24 hours. I don't really know how to train and I don't know if I have the athletic ability to do it. I DID get the 50 miler done in 11:1 or something like that, and it (applying to the 100) is mostly due to the 50 miler being a qualifier AND expiring this year. I also think I want the 5 year belt, but mostly a sub-24 on a hard 100 mile course. I've no clue what training will be like for January to June and I've no races scheduled as tests/tune ups. I also have ZERO intentions of telling my wife what I'm doing until much later in the year 2024.

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Even with 5 tickets my odds don't go up much.

You got this bro. You can do it. You have lots of time to get ready. We are here for you for training ideas. When is Tahoe rim? July? I am thinking about doing that one in 2025. Doing a family reunion near the race in Tahoe. I feel 50 mile training is the same as 100 milers. Let's talk.

Updated!! I just looked at the Tahoe 100 course. It looks a lot like the Bear 100 I did the end of Sept. With 5,000 ft less vert. You can almost put the 2 races elevation charts on top of each other and they would look the same. You can look at my strava for training ideas. https://www.strava.com/athletes/610560

Yeah Tahoe Rim Trail 100 is typically the weekend after July 4th. This will be great because I can go do family July 4th things then race the following weekend.

My 50 mile training was, um... I don't even remember. I ran every street, raced a 50k where I caused myself pain hiking, tried to target some vertical gain and took a day off work to do a 4 hour long run on the course. I work where the race starts so I have lots of access to the course. I might even find some friends locally doing some longer weekend runs.

I'll look over your Strava. I actually follow you (I'm "that time..." guy). Sometimes I remind myself you've done more, and know what works. Also you might have some more athletic ability. I really like seeing you just getting in the bulk of training during the week. It's those big weekends where you can blast out some amazing runs I start to wonder about. It is the 4-6 hour long run in the hills I have always said I can't do to be great at the 100 mile distance.

I also suck at uphills. It's my weakness. I can do downhills pretty well. Typically I feel more comfortable going down them. Uphill hurts my back just because I hunch over. Even the Black Friday hill run I did started to hurt my lower back. I mentioned to my friend "this is why I bring poles. It keeps me upright. Also, hills expose my weakness."

I'd want to do some type of TRX workouts just to make myself feel it helps with overall fitness as well.

If things go well I have this nonsense idea of doing 10 in a row to get the 10 time buckle when I'm 50. If you come to town let me know and if I can help out I will.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22