Ultra Runners

self-organized 100-mile run (Read 25 times)

skim1124

Running to eat

It was ugly towards the end, but I finished the 100-mile run in 19:28:53.  (Of course, since it wasn't a certified course, I'm relying on my watch and the mile markers on the 6-mile stretch of the trail I used.) I walked all of the last 9 miles because the muscles (and tendons?) required for running just were not working any more.  It was actually faster and much less painful to walk than to even do a slow, shuffling run.

Here's the Strava data: https://www.strava.com/activities/4149982572

As you might guess, it was a huge positive split: the first 50 miles in 7:33:47 (9:05 pace) and the second 50 in 11:55:06 (14:18 pace), for an average of 11:41 pace for 100 miles.  Not what I was hoping for or thought I had trained for, but I have no choice but to take it and be pretty happy about just being able to finish my first 100-miler.

I couldn't have asked for better conditions.  The temps were 35 at the start (6am), got up to 52 and was 46 by the time I finished at around 1:30am.  It did drizzle for the last 2.5 hours or so, but it didn't bother me at all.  I never felt warm or cold.  Except for the last 12 miles when I wore a jacket because of the rain, I didn't have to change my clothes at all.  I wore a merino wool short-sleeve t-shirt, arm sleeves, Patagonia 2-in-1 Strider Pro shorts, calf sleeves and gloves.  It was the perfect outfit for the day.  I did start with a fleece beanie, but changed to a cap after a few hours.  I started with Injinji socks and Skechers GoRUn 7+ shoes, but at mile 50 changed to Swiftwick socks and Asics Novablasts because I felt a bit of a hot spot on a toe.  But no blister ended up forming and my toes look the same as they did before the run.  I also had no problems whatsoever with chafing.  So the equipment all worked well.

My wife and sister-in-law did a great job of manning an aid station.  They also biked or ran with me for about 60 miles, which I really appreciated, especially since they carried my water bottle for me.  I never had any stomach issues or any trouble taking in calories (I used a combination of Tailwind, water, oranges, kiwi, Gu waffles, Clif gels, PB&J sandwiches and bacon).  Nutrition was not a problem.

So the only problem and the only cause of my slowing down so much for the second half was my legs.  They were seriously fatigued and in pain for the last 40 miles or so. In fact, I had serious thoughts about stopping at mile 75 to end the pain.  After all, 100 is an arbitrary number and I would have been fine being able to say that I ran 75 miles.  But still, I did set 100 as a goal, so I decided that I'd try to finish even if it meant walking a lot.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to get close to the goal of 17 hours that I'd set, but once I accepted that 17 hours was also an unrealistic and arbitrary goal, I felt relieved and was able to make myself commit to finishing.

My wife walked the last 6.25 miles with me and despite the pain in my legs, it was actually quite pleasant taking a midnight moon-lit walk in light drizzle (even though it took almost 2 hours).

If I were to try again, I'm sure I could do things differently in training or racing so that the second 50 miles would be more bearable.  I probably run my training runs too fast and perhaps running 50 miles 16 days before the 100-mile attempt didn't give me enough time to recover fully or maybe I ran too many miles during taper.  And I'm sure it would have been wiser to run the first 50 miles more slowly, mixing in some walking breaks.  Maybe I should have taken more ibuprofen and earlier on (it did seem to help for a while after I took it at mile 37.5 and mile 75).  But having finished a 100-miler, I really don't have any desire to run another one.  I now have enormous respect for the 100 mile distance and for those who race it regularly, and am happy to leave this monster alone from now on.  I'm happy for the experience of pushing my body to the limit, but I have no desire to repeat the experience.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

Pain is my friend

Great job on finishing the 100 miies. They are hard. But I always learn something new from each one that makes the next one go better.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

nice work! glad things worked out

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

That sounds like a HUGE success to me. Congratulations!

I agree that completing a self-supported 100 is a great achievement.  Never say never... 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

Congrats on your 100 miler, sounds like it didn't go too bad for you.

You need to sign up for Superior or another rocky and rooty race with a ton of elevation gain and try for 17 hours again

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

skim1124

Running to eat

Thank to all for the congrats, but I really do mean never again for a 100-miler.  It'd take too much time to train, and I am satisfied enough with my performance that I don't feel like I need to redeem myself with a better race.  Unless I were maybe 15-20 pounds lighter, I don't think it'd be possible for me to run the whole 100 miles, and I like food too much to lose/keep that much weight off for a whole training cycle.  I feel like I've found the limit of what I can reasonably push my body to do, so I'm satisfied.

I do realize that I missed out on the social/communal aspect of an ultra race, so that's a bit of a regret.  So I might have to volunteer at a 100-mile race to get that experience the next time I'm back in the States in about 3 years.

Also, when I'm back in the States next time, I might try something new and sign up for 5K and 10K races.

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

nOOky

Haha dude I've liked food and beer enough my whole life that I'll never be fast or competitive. Way back when I was 18 I used to run a 15Tight lippedx 5k, not award winning fast, but 5 minute mile fast. I joined the Army and started lifting weights and gained 20 lbs, and my pace went up to almost 6:00 per mile.

I don't ever want to run a 100 miler again, but the one I was going to do this year guaranteed me entry for next year, so I'm stuck. I've pretty much given up on ever getting into Hard Rock or Western States, especially being in my 50's now and having this covid thing screw up an entire race year. Those two races were really why I was running the qualifiers, now I can just relax I guess and run races because I want to run them.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

skim1124

Running to eat

Haha dude I've liked food and beer enough my whole life that I'll never be fast or competitive. Way back when I was 18 I used to run a 15Tight lippedx 5k, not award winning fast, but 5 minute mile fast. I joined the Army and started lifting weights and gained 20 lbs, and my pace went up to almost 6:00 per mile.

I don't ever want to run a 100 miler again, but the one I was going to do this year guaranteed me entry for next year, so I'm stuck. I've pretty much given up on ever getting into Hard Rock or Western States, especially being in my 50's now and having this covid thing screw up an entire race year. Those two races were really why I was running the qualifiers, now I can just relax I guess and run races because I want to run them.

You were fast.  I've never run a 15Tight lippedx 5K.

I've never desired or aspired to run Hard Rock or Western States (too expensive for me and crew), but I would love to get to CO and CA some day and just run and hike parts of the course.

strambo

duplicate

strambo

"And I'm sure it would have been wiser to run the first 50 miles more slowly, mixing in some walking breaks."

This part would have been key to a better experience at the end and probably a better overall time. In any case, you still had a great 100 miler and that's a very respectable time!

My bucket list was to see if I could complete a 100 miler through the mountains and I did it last year.  Like you, I don't think I'll do another just due to the massive time commitment for the train-up.  But, I never say "never."

skim1124

Running to eat

This part would have been key to a better experience at the end and probably a better overall time. In any case, you still had a great 100 miler and that's a very respectable time!

My bucket list was to see if I could complete a 100 miler through the mountains and I did it last year.  Like you, I don't think I'll do another just due to the massive time commitment for the train-up.  But, I never say "never."

I guess I'll never know exactly how a slower first 50 miles would affect the second 50 miles.  I suppose 8:30 for the first half followed by a 10:30 for the second half for a total of 19 hours would have meant a faster time and probably a more enjoyable finish.  But I might still have been less than satisfied because I might have felt that I hadn't pushed myself as much as I could have.  I don't have anything against a cautious, enjoyable race that incorporates walking breaks, but sometimes you just want to see how far you can run on a completely runable, flat trail.  I now know that it's not 100 miles, at least as a 5'6" 145-pounder.

berylrunner

Rick

Self run 100 miler.  Impressive.   Congratulations.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59