Ultra Runners

RWOL ultra runners (Read 668 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dopplebock - wow what a selection.  I keep wondering if I need to move up north?  But I am finding lots of good races down here in the southeast.  

Warren, the Northern GA/Southern TN area probably has just as many races as we do up here.  We both live in awesome areas for trail races and ultras.  That said, come visit anytime!

Running is dumb.

Gray Runner

Running Bear

Warren, the Northern GA/Southern TN area probably has just as many races as we do up here.  We both live in awesome areas for trail races and ultras.  That said, come visit anytime!

Mandy,  I will be up there with you guys no doubt.  Lot's of good challenges you have there.  Meanwhile, i'll keep practicing Wink

Upcoming races:  
      Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
      Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
      Sweetwater 50K 4/12
      Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
      Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
      H9 50 mile 8/9
      Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
      Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
      Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
      Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

DoppleBock

Ice Age is a blast - If you are from WI or near it is a great 1st 50M or 50K.  If you have run a lot of ultras it is still a great 50M or 50K. 

Glacial 50M is my favorite - But that is because it is my home trail (1 hour drive)

RoxieRuns will probably pop in here and tell you that she's run Glacial Trail before.  She schooled me there in 2011.  (Although to be fair to myself, everyone schools me.  It's not hard to do.)  I'm trying to convince her to run the 50 at Ice Age next year.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

DB, were you at Glacial Trail this year?  (Oh, I just stalked your blog...you were.)  You would have passed me on the trail.  I was just a slow back of the pack 50Ker.  I loved the rain.  It was a blast.

Running is dumb.

DoppleBock

I had issues with hypothermia from Butler Lake until about 3 1/2 miles to go - That is when I got smart enough to take by g0-lite wisp out of my camelback.  15 minutes later I was moving well again, but could not catch up with 2nd place (Joel).  It did not help I use my road shoes and the mud was like a skating rink.

Afterward I drank beer until @ 6:00pm.

I love that trail - I have never seen it saturate like that - But 5 inches of rain in @ 24 hours, I guess any trail would fall apart.  I have not been back since, but will do some winter running there once Desert Solstice 24 is over (Dec 15-16)

It was not fun for me as I gave an effort level that was right for an all out 50 mile on dryer trail.  I do not like to possitive split much and it was a 3:45 / 4:13 day - I was gunning for a sub 7:30. 

DB, were you at Glacial Trail this year?  (Oh, I just stalked your blog...you were.)  You would have passed me on the trail.  I was just a slow back of the pack 50Ker.  I loved the rain.  It was a blast.

Trail Dog

RoxieRuns will probably pop in here and tell you that she's run Glacial Trail before.  She schooled me there in 2011.  (Although to be fair to myself, everyone schools me.  It's not hard to do.)  I'm trying to convince her to run the 50 at Ice Age next year.

I'm still not used to seeing 'RoxieRuns' as a username...

Dopplebock, thanks for the list! Like Mandy said, I ran GT50k in 2011 and had a blast. I've got Tecumseh marathon this weekend, then the Frozen Gnome 50k in January. It's a new race in the far Chicago suburbs. I am seriously considering IAT for my first 50 miler. I've had some nagging calf tightness so don't want to commit to the 50 miler until I see how things go at Tecumseh. Ive got a few back-up 50 milers later in the summer (Marquette, MN Voyegeur, Mt. Hood) if I decide to signup for the IAT 50k instead of the 50M.

And Chippewa was already on my list - I will probably run that one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Amanda, if I were you I would sign up for the 50.  I'm sure Jeff (RD) would let you downgrade to the 50K if you're not feeling up for it.  I will hang out at the finish and cheer you in!

DB, had I been moving any slower at the end of that race, I would have been freezing my ass off as well.  I initially thought I had over dressed at the beginning of the race, but the temps just steadily dropped that day.  7:30 finish, eh?  Damn.  I was happy to run the 50K in that time!  And if you enjoy the mud, come run Potawatomi (used to be McNaughton) in April in Illinois.

Running is dumb.

DoppleBock

http://www.iceagetrail50.com/site/

Registration starts Dece 15th - I am not sure how fast the race will fill this year. 

Last year I should have joined BLS as I ran Crusty 50k, BLS24 and Glacial Trail 50M - The discount would have left me money ahead.

I will likely wait unitl January, but I will keep an eye on how full it is getting.

This year I want to run

Point Bock 5M

Clinton Lakes 30M

Boston Maraton

Mad City 100k

IA 50M

KM 100M

Grandmas Marathon

Pittsville H&S 5M

DWD-Devils Lake 50M

Seymour Bun run 5k

Otto Grunski Runski 10k

Superior 100M

GT 50M

Something fun and long in November

But if I get into Western States or have an unbelievable race at Desert Solstice 24 - I will have to alter those plans.  I will kow both of those answers by January 2nd.

The only one I am worried about is the Boston / Mad City turnaround (5 days) - My 3 favorite distances 5M / Marathon / 50 Mile

DoppleBock

I was wearing a short sleave tech shirt and shorts - I did warm up quickly after I got the light coat on.

I tend to avoid water crossing and mud - I really do not like winter running.  I tend to run 50% of mileage on Road, 40% on Treadmille and 10% on trail.

DB, had I been moving any slower at the end of that race, I would have been freezing my ass off as well.  I initially thought I had over dressed at the beginning of the race, but the temps just steadily dropped that day.  7:30 finish, eh?  Damn.  I was happy to run the 50K in that time!  And if you enjoy the mud, come run Potawatomi (used to be McNaughton) in April in Illinois.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Only 10% trail?  That makes this trail runner sad.  You wouldn't like Potawatomi then -- lots of water and mud.

I'll be at a lot of the same races as you next year.  Ice Age, Kettle Moraine (no idea what I'll be doing there...maybe the fun run instead of the 100K this time, don't know yet), Sawtooth Superior (pacing/crewing), probably Glacial Trail again as well.  I should volunteer at Mad City since it's in my backyard. 

I have a runner who is trying to get into WS.  If does he, I'll go crew.  But he's only got one ticket, so it's highly unlikely. 

Running is dumb.

DoppleBock

That is all I have is 1 ticket, so I am planning on running KM100M - Although since I really do not want to run it this year, but do want to run it some day - I will probably get in this year as Karma has its revenge on me.

I have a runner who is trying to get into WS.  If does he, I'll go crew.  But he's only got one ticket, so it's highly unlikely. 

DoppleBock

It is a 35 minute drive to High Cliff State Park and 60 minute drive to the Northern KM.  I do not count rail trail (gravel) as trail running.

To be fair I have run 600+ miles of trail this year.

Next year I am going to shoot for 20-25% trail running.  I just hate to waste hours driving I could be running.  I fake it pretty well at races. 

Only 10% trail?  That makes this trail runner sad.  You wouldn't like Potawatomi then -- lots of water and mud.

Haha! "Only 10%" of a lot is still a lot. Wink
                            MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Road runners.  Big grin

I run about 60-70% trail, but I'm just a lucky girl like that.  I don't count rail to trail as trail either.  I have the Ice Age Trail practically in my backyard and tons of mountain bike trails within a 15 minute drive.  Just slap me back into the trail forum when you're sick of me.

And um, DB, if 600 miles is 10% of your mileage this year, I'm just going to shut up now. 

Running is dumb.

DoppleBock

I have a running problem - Yes my log is public an this year 10% will = 600 ... Hopefully 624 by 12/31

Next year my number 1 goal is to run less 

But I do typically only run 300-320 days a year - I am not one of those obsessed streakers

Road runners.  Big grin

I run about 60-70% trail, but I'm just a lucky girl like that.  I don't count rail to trail as trail either.  I have the Ice Age Trail practically in my backyard and tons of mountain bike trails within a 15 minute drive.  Just slap me back into the trail forum when you're sick of me.

And um, DB, if 600 miles is 10% of your mileage this year, I'm just going to shut up now.