Ultra Runners

June 2021 Ultra Training Thread (Read 24 times)

62 miles last week.  Last big week before Beaverhead 100k on 7/10.  (And yes I know that some of you would not consider that a big week. )

nOOky, I signed up for the 50k near Auburn earlier this month for the same reasons: miserable conditions, good training, and I would not have done it on my own.  I'm sure I've said this before but TRT is one of my favorite races.  The climb out of Diamond Peak was a time when it looked like poles would have useful.  Maybe also the Red House loop.

Alan, hope you had a good Father's Day yesterday!  How are you liking your poles?  Noticing any difference in the hammy injury?  Nice that the local running store took care of you.

WC, thanks for the update on the Olympic trials.

Anyone else still here in the ultra thread?  Krash? BerylRunner? Buehler?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Grayson Murphy, apparently a very good mountain runner since she won the 2019 World Mountain Running Championships, and Allie Ostrander, winner of the Mt Marathon Race, have both qualified for the finals of the 3000m Steeplechase.  Ostrander made quite a name for herself in the girls' race at Mt Marathon as a 6 time winner before placing 2nd in the senior women's race in 2015 and winning it in 2017.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

nOOky

Apparently the red house loop was cut from the 50 mile, the 100 milers get to do it once instead of twice. I quit waffling and signed up. It's Friday, so I can rest all weekend if I need to.

62 miles last week.  Last big week before Beaverhead 100k on 7/10.  (And yes I know that some of you would not consider that a big week. )

nOOky, I signed up for the 50k near Auburn earlier this month for the same reasons: miserable conditions, good training, and I would not have done it on my own.  I'm sure I've said this before but TRT is one of my favorite races.  The climb out of Diamond Peak was a time when it looked like poles would have useful.  Maybe also the Red House loop.

Alan, hope you had a good Father's Day yesterday!  How are you liking your poles?  Noticing any difference in the hammy injury?  Nice that the local running store took care of you.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Felt good about May.  Didn't quite make it to 200 miles (193.4) but close enough.  Did a 12-hour race in CO and a good hard training run at Saturday's WSER training camp.  Living in coastal NorCal, I never really acclimate to heat and I was feeling it for sure on Saturday, when it hit 90.  A couple dips in the rivers save me.  Going to to Auburn for a 50k next Saturday too, and it will be in the 90s.  Bring it on!  

June means WSER 100 so I'll be getting stuff together for my aid station in the coming weeks.  At the training run, things looked reasonably normal at the A/S, just touchless instead of people grabbing stuff.  It'll be more work for volunteers to hand out food, but to be honest, is it such a bad thing to keep grubby runner hands out of the food bowls?    I'm looking forward to it.  Don't think anyone here will be at States?

Gatsby. I'll be pacing Bib 184 from Forresthill. If you have time introduce yourself. I'm probably going to be super jacked on caffeine. I'll have the same vest and Oakley's with pink lenses as last year. Unsure of what time I'll be coming in.

EDIT: Looks like the TRT course was edited because of work being done at Spooner lake. https://trter.com/a-new-course/

There really isn't much around the college. It is at the North end of town. Plenty of parking....but it's a college in a residential area. Carson City doesn't have mask mandates in case you hadn't been informed. Reno Airport does if you're flying in.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

thanks I did! the poles seem to be working great except today i have a lot of soreness between the shoulder blades but idk if it is from the poles or that i slept wrong the night before (stiff neck) or playing drums at a friend's house for 3 hours or taking down my greenhouse or... anyway they really do take a load off the knees, hip and hamstr. we had a zoom meeting for sawtooth and RD strongly encourages them. the moral is there really isnt a learning curve per se but you do need to get used to them muscle-wise. when i was working out with them yesterday i did enjoy getting some work on the upper body and hr coming up a bit more than usual. very glad i have them!

"Life moves pretty fast" -FB

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

I am still around. Took a week off after Bryce 100 and then left for Orlando FL for almost 2 weeks. I ran some while I was down there. But the humidity killed me.  Vacations activities kept me busy AKA Micky Mouse land, That I was so tired it was hard to get up to run. I ran 21 miles last week.

This week I am already at 25 miles and ready to get back to work. All I have left this year is Bear 100 in Sept. Hoping to go sub 24 hours there.

Looks like there are some cool races coming up. Best of luck to you on the race and your training.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Gatsby. I'll be pacing Bib 184 from Forresthill. If you have time introduce yourself. I'm probably going to be super jacked on caffeine. I'll have the same vest and Oakley's with pink lenses as last year. Unsure of what time I'll be coming in.

EDIT: Looks like the TRT course was edited because of work being done at Spooner lake. https://trter.com/a-new-course/

There really isn't much around the college. It is at the North end of town. Plenty of parking....but it's a college in a residential area. Carson City doesn't have mask mandates in case you hadn't been informed. Reno Airport does if you're flying in.

good luck! i hope it isnt crazy hot. it IS going to get crazy hot here. predictions to smash all records for June this weekend. 100's in Seattle! just got a sawtooth update/heat & snow warning they are expecting all time high temps in the basin (110's-100teens) and 90's up high. when is it too late to heat train? does having grown up in the desert help? ill be doing that whilst tapering if that's possible. getting psyched about this course though, it'll take a lot to get me to bail now!

https://caltopo.com/m/920H

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm not sure when it is too late to heat train, but I know it helps and I don't think I have enough. It will be mid 90s when we start (unless he is having a bad day) and that is down from the 111 forecast I think we saw earlier. Today would have been good. Light rain, some wind, and mid 80s.

I grew up in the Bay Area of California. I'm not native to the current state. California Kid. I'd say living in the desert HELPS a little, but heat is heat. It hates everyone

Gatsby If you know any of the HAM radio frequencies, and you can share them, send me a message. I'm licensed (technician) and I'd use it to track my runner coming in to Forresthill through the Canyons. I found a few repeaters online, just wondering if the race uses their own. I don't know why the frequencies aren't published if they're common repeaters.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Hey RP.  I don't have any info about radio frequencies, sorry.  By the time I connect with our radio operators tomorrow afternoon, it'll be a little late for you.  The info on ultralive.net should be up to date and accurate as it comes from the aid stations.  Good luck to your runner with the heat, esp in the canyons.  I'll try to keep an eye out for you and 184 tomorrow/Sunday am.  Any finish time goal/estimate?

Alan, I think it's worth doing some heat training in the time you have left to prep for Sawtooth.  Just make sure to hydrate well and give yourself enough recovery time.

Off to States tomorrow morning after spending the last few days organizing stuff, people, and logistics.  About 40 volunteers covering all areas.  A little leaner than I'd like, but there are also only 317 runners this year (usually 369).  And they're good, experienced folks.  Excited!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

58 miles for me this week with 8,100 ft vert. Time to hit the 10k-11k peaks.

Spent most of the rest of the day following the WS100. Great coverage.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Beth Pascalll 17:10

Jim Walmsley 14:16 (7 mins off his own CR)

following and preaching to a bunch of non runners what humans are capable of.

so awesome 9 of the top 20 are women who likely have been told in every possible way their whole lives that they can't keep up with men. esp Ragna Debats at 42 3rd pl ran in 17:41

got another email suggesting sawtooth will likely & understandable be cancelled unless the nws forecast changes dramatically for next weekend. this made me feel pretty disappointed so i did not heat train in the 100 degrees we had yesterday and instead had a few beers last night (which helps a lot with the table pounding and preaching). they will let us know more by tomorrow. maybe i will run in the heat today just a little (and jump in the lake) for funsies. "hot enough fer ya?" ..."yep"

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Beth Pascalll 17:10

Jim Walmsley 14:16 (7 mins off his own CR)

Walmsley was 14:46:01, an hour and 25 minutes ahead of second place Tyler Green.  And half of the top 30 were women.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Walmsley was 14:46:01, an hour and 25 minutes ahead of second place Tyler Green.  And half of the top 30 were women.

oops thanks for the correction. a little brain foggy this morning

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Running Problem

Problem Child

56 or 57 silver buckles. Second lowest in history from what I was told.

VDOT 53.37