Ultra Runners

April 2022 Ultra Training Thread (Read 22 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Getting a short jump on starting the monthly thread since I'm trying to get an early start on a road trip tomorrow.

March was a decent month with 168.5 miles and a very solid 50K race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

242.5 miles. Finished my Run Every Street challenge. 4:45:45 at Way Too Cool 50k with a stomach not happy, and a groin/right thigh muscle making walking extremely painful. About 18,000 ft of vertical gain.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Duke of the Internet

258 miles for the month.  15,700 feet of gain.  Old Pueblo 50 miler.  Solid effort at Old Pueblo.  I was 45 minutes slower than the last time when I ran it 4 years ago but hey I'm 4 years older.  I will call it a draw.

Woohoo, April!

March included a vacation to Ireland and London with a road marathon, plus I did a trail HM x2 later in the month.  Had 224 miles and 17,200' of vert for the month.  Now in the last month of training before Miwok 100k on May 7th.  Feeling good, no problems!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Pain is my friend

Not a super big month. 262 and 20k vert. Not much recovery since my last race. But it’s time for another 100.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

berylrunner

Rick

March was a bust with me.  Still struggling with foot and hip pain.  Started running again.  Picked up a pacing shift at Zion 100, should be able to handle 30 miles.

Krash, you didn't make it down to the course.  Gas price and schedule probably figured into that.  You will be fine.  The trickiest section is quacomole.  You might be through that before dark.  If not, a headlamp or handheld light with a spot beam picks out the markers better.  Have a fun race, I might hang out at the BMX aid station.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

Pain is my friend

Finished up a taper week with 56 miles and 4 k vert. I am ready to roll for Zions 100. Hope I see ya out there berylrunner. I will be wearing my traditional orange plaid shirt. 

headed to Boise for a few days. Vacation and taper work great together. Just can’t over eat.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

31 miles last week after 50k last weekend. kinda wavy recovery. 8 mile walk yesterday felt great though.

bought my pacer a pair of escalantes. i like to get people into these but tell then specifically say do not run in them. my thought is that if you wear zero drop the rest of the day during non stress activities it can result in a better natural extension in the foot, achilles, calf and even hamstrings

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

55 miles and change last week, with 5800' climbing.  Had a couple good runs with a running buddy who is also doing Miwok, so we had some good chats about the race and training.  Volunteering on Saturday at Lake Sonoma 50 and this will be a lighter training week for me.

Alan, that's a nice pacer gift!  Interesting theory about the zero drop shoes.  Since I work at home and usually just wear socks with no shoes, I guess you could say that I'm zero drop most of the day when not running.  And my feet/legs are pretty happy.

Krash, enjoy your week and have a great race!

Duke of the Internet

55 miles and change last week, with 5800' climbing.  Had a couple good runs with a running buddy who is also doing Miwok, so we had some good chats about the race and training.  Volunteering on Saturday at Lake Sonoma 50 and this will be a lighter training week for me.

Alan, that's a nice pacer gift!  Interesting theory about the zero drop shoes.  Since I work at home and usually just wear socks with no shoes, I guess you could say that I'm zero drop most of the day when not running.  And my feet/legs are pretty happy.

Krash, enjoy your week and have a great race!

I have never heard of Dinosaur Valley 100.  Is that a new race?  You have a great line-up.  I have been thinking about doing Miwok for years.  I did Sean O'Brian this year.  I have done Quicksilver 100K as well in the past.  Plus Rio Del Lago 100.  So getting through some of the California races.  So many good ones to choose from out there.

I have never heard of Dinosaur Valley 100.  Is that a new race?  You have a great line-up.  I have been thinking about doing Miwok for years.  I did Sean O'Brian this year.  I have done Quicksilver 100K as well in the past.  Plus Rio Del Lago 100.  So getting through some of the California races.  So many good ones to choose from out there.

Dino Valley isn't new, just a smaller event with a quirky RD that I like.  She's trying to get the word out and had a great promotion in December, $75 for the hundred.

I love running in CA, lots of good races and the weather is pretty good for running year 'round.  Of course, grass being greener and all, my running Mecca is Oregon and I've got a long list of OR races on my someday list (Siskiyou Out Back, aka the SOB that's not Sean O'Brien, Waldo, Pine to Palm, Mountain Lakes, Oregon Cascades...).

I've volunteered for many years at Miwok but it's always intimidated me because of the cut-offs, which are tough for a mid-to-back-of-the-packer like me.  But I got a free race entry thru my running club so what the heck, I'll give it a shot and do my best.

Duke of the Internet

Dino Valley isn't new, just a smaller event with a quirky RD that I like.  She's trying to get the word out and had a great promotion in December, $75 for the hundred.

I love running in CA, lots of good races and the weather is pretty good for running year 'round.  Of course, grass being greener and all, my running Mecca is Oregon and I've got a long list of OR races on my someday list (Siskiyou Out Back, aka the SOB that's not Sean O'Brien, Waldo, Pine to Palm, Mountain Lakes, Oregon Cascades...).

I've volunteered for many years at Miwok but it's always intimidated me because of the cut-offs, which are tough for a mid-to-back-of-the-packer like me.  But I got a free race entry thru my running club so what the heck, I'll give it a shot and do my best.

I did mountain lakes in year 2 before it become popular.  It’s my favorite 100 miler I have finished.  The views were amazing.  I totally recommend it.  I have looked at cascades.  That race looks beautiful.  I was registered for canyons 100k a few years back to see some of the WS course but I got sick and missed the race.  I’m hoping to get into comrades marathon this year.  I’m not sure if anyone here has done that one or not?

nOOky

25 miles last week with little elevation gain. I'll have about 14 this week. Hopefully Monday I'll have about 48.3 with over 10,000 feet of gain if we finish our run. I've kind of been letting the chronic soreness and tiredness leave my legs. It feels good to not be sore when I wake up from the previous day's efforts.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

good luck tomorrow Zion runners. hope it stays cool for you

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

KreegSauceRuns

A whopping 5.4 miles over the weekend.  First runs since the race.  Still not back to normal but getting there slowly.  Ready to start training again!

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC