Ultra Runners

Novice Advice (Read 632 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

50k 6:36:00. Started 4 minutes late putting on knee braces. 40F at the start with 10 mph wind gust. Knees start their thing at mile 6. On lap 2 walked 1/4 mile to car to find knee straps. Not in car.Apparently left at home. Stopped several times to make adjustments. The course was really clean for a trail. Very few roots.The gravel roads were a bit much. Most people just run on the side of road for these areas. No major hills. Mile 18 energy level dropped. Drank 1cup of water and 1 cup of powerade at each aid station(2). Aid stations about 2.6 miles apart. Mile 21( 5th loop) decided to eat a banana. Ate 1/3 of it. Stomach upset. Put it down. Mile 22 the banana came back up. Reflux. Next 9 miles 1 cup of water or powerade at each station with a GU gel. Last loop wanted to pick up the pace and not go over 15:00 pace. By mile 20 I am ruining .25 sections before walking. Made up my mind to not let any one pass me. Mile 26 a guy gets with 20 yards as I walk. The next mile I did in13:41.

Miles 26 to finish line. It was a great event. Received a ginger bread-man for finishing.Smile 2nd 50k in 13 days.

High Sierra Hydration pack $18. Wish I would have had one.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Ojo

Awesome race!  It was a tough but gorgeous course.  I was hoping to come in under 8 hours and I finished strong with 7:35.  Definitely the hardest race I have ever run . . . and I am pretty sure I will run it again next year! 

Sara

MM #2929