Womens Running

SWEET, it's the saturdaily/sundaily (Read 13 times)

Yay weekend.  Anyone doing anything fun?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

No big plans here, just the usual stuff.  Will go visit my dad, watch some college football, do chores around the house and yard, and hit the grocery store.  Walked a couple miles after work, will stroll around somewhere today.

Karen, sometimes the idea of visitors is far worse than the visitors, at least for us introverts. Starlink is a SpaceX company, so there's that, besides the cost.

Kat, hope work is tolerable.

Hi to all!

Anonymous Guest

I ran just shy of 12 this morning. Can see smoke in the mountains but air quality is good here in town. I think where we're heading towards tomorrow is (currently) not in the area of any fires, so should be able to run while camping. Trying to do laundry today, but right now I have a snoring 90 pound dog in my lap.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Half Crazy K 2.0

3 miles plus a core workout. Been doing laundtry, super exciting.

GatsbyBird, how is the foot?

AnonymousGuest, hope your air stays clear.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

3 mile shakeout run done. I can barely breathe today, yay.

Damaris

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Fun?  Ugh, not quite.  But I AM doing it to have fun in the future when I go to Spain.  Wheeee.  Today was HOT AS HELL.  I was dripping with sweat the entire day.  I had a nail appointment after work and had to take a shower first, blech.

Margaret, hope you had an enjoyable stroll and visit with Dad.  College ball time already!

Karen, nice 12.  Glad you're not going to stress about you fall race.  Woot on a good time had!

Kathi, laundry is my version of Saturday night excitement.

Damaris, nice on the miles.

I have 5 miles scheduled for tomorrow, after another HOT day working outside.  I need to improve on my after work running mojo.  It isn't there yet.   Plus I have an ATTROCIOUS trio of staff tomorrow, one of the worst combos known to man.  I envision alcohol in my future tomorrow...

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Nice mileage everyone!

Nothing exciting here. Trying to stay positive and hoping that the D3 companies here and on your side don't strike. Can I just retire yet? Lol

10 miles for me yesterday and 5 today.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I killed my race!

Time Travel 5K Race Report:

I've been racing all summer but with mixed results. The weather has been much hotter this year in Indiana than the last 4 years so it's been a challenge. I did sign up for one race a month to get me out there and not be on the TM 24/7 and I think it's been a success.

Last weekend my ITB started hurting, along with my knee, not sure why since running didn't hurt it. I tried everything from my knee brace (since this has happened before with my operated knee every so often so I'm well prepared), and even Rock Tape but the pain was still there. I had no time for a massage therapist appointment since we had our regional gathering Wednesday and Thursday and I've been preparing for two upcoming trials, but finally managed to grab an appointment on Thursday afternoon with one of my massage therapist favorites and that helped. The pain was gone by the time I left his office.

Having said that, I've been exhausted all week. First, not having our normal two WFH days took its toll (I frankly don't know how we used to go to the office every day, I couldn't do it anymore!) and I didn't sleep well Friday nor Saturday nights. In fact, I slept maybe 2 hours last night. On top of that, my high BP has some sort of flareup and this morning I had it super high. Damn genes.

The last three 5Ks have been above 36 minutes and I thought months ago 35:XX was possible but between me getting nauseous during races and getting too hot during the race and walking a bit more, it hadn't happened. I thought I could finish in 35:59 today based on the weather but with all that exhaustion and lack of sleep (plus my asthma was low this week too), who knows.

But I woke up, got dressed and decided to race to the best of my ability. A gorgeous 57-59F and sunny day. My last race three weeks ago had a starting temp of 71F, so these temps were awesome.

When I got to the address provided, there were cars full of confused people but no race director or start line. After a few minutes, we all decided to drive the perimeter of the park to see if they were somewhere else. They were! The fog in the park didn't help with visibility and the race later sent someone to that area to warn people but next time plan better, RD.

Once there I finished my iced coffee (with caramel of course) and headed to do my warmup and then headed to the ONE and only porta potty. WTF. I never even used it because by that time it was 7:50am. Time to head to the start.

Oh, I brought my Bluetooth headphones only to have one ear not sound at all. That was fun...not.

After all this, the race organization was better. We started and there were water stations at each turnaround (the 5K was an out and back with the water station on the turnaround and from what they said, the 10K had the same). The half was just two 10K loops so pretty much well marked IMO.

I have been extending my run/walk intervals but I'm not where I want to be yet (fully running). It is what it is; after 4 injuries, menopause woes, etc., I'm happy with having great runs no matter if I'm running for only 1 minute or 10. I decided to try my current 2:30/0:30 run/walk and I would adjust down to 1/0:30 if I was close to crashing. The course is pretty flat overall and mostly shaded so I didn't get too hot as with the prior races. I was able to keep that 2:30/0:30 until 2.70 miles and then switched to 1/0:30 to finish. That didn't slow me down like normal, though. I was on fire today.

Mile 1: We head with the 10K and HM runners towards the first water station and our turnaround. I was doing well and even though we ran a good portion on the path, there was space to run/walk without bothering anyone. I felt good after the first mile so I decided to continue the RW ratio for one more mile. Pace: 11:23mm.

Mile 2: Mile 2 took us to the turnaround at Mile 1.55 and I grabbed a cup of water just as my walk break was coming and drank a bit. I was still doing a good time and in fact was running faster than Mile 1 still feeling good so I pushed on a bit harder. Pace: 11:07mm.

Mile 3: This is where most of the shade went away as we were running towards the sun but not completely unshaded. I was starting to breathe harder (I was breathing hard from the start but it was getting tougher). Just like Mile 3 should feel. At around 2.70 miles I was breathing too hard and decided to switch to 1/0:30 until the finish. I'd rather slow a bit than crash completely and boy that helped. With the 1 minute runs, I can run faster than the 2:30 and I started passing two of the girls I had been closed to passing the whole race. I knew I was among the first 10 women because I had counted on my way in and I was around 8th per my count (I ended up with 9th so I must have missed two women at some point). Looking at the number of women I thought there was a chance to place in my AG so that gave me a lot of push at the end. Pace: 10:52mm.

Mile 3.10: I walked a bit after Mile 3 as my walk break had sounded but only for like 15 seconds, then pushed to the end. Pace: 10:45mm.

I couldn't believe it. I thought I could do 35:59 but I finished 34:13!!!!!! And a negative split!

1st in my AG, 9th OA, 4th Master Female. Best placing in a decade!!!!

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Congrats D! Great race.

Lori, what is a D3 company? Will a strike impact the build of my Bronco Sport week after next? I think they build them in Mexico.

4 miles this morning, now about to head out camping for 4-5 days.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Congratulations Damaris!!!!!

Karen, the D3 (Detroit Big 3) are GM, Ford and Stellantis (Chrysler). It's contract time again. Strike is a possibility. If Ford strikes it would definitely affect your Bronco if it needs parts from the US. I'm hoping agreements happen without striking. US contracts are separate from ours but definitely tied together. I hate these periods of uncertainty. One never fully recovers financially from a prolonged strike. I've been here for 27 years and Chrysler has never striked (although one of the others did which is unusual as when one company and workforce signs and ratifies an agreement the others typically follow the pattern) so I'm hoping the trend continues with no strike.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 this morning with intervals and lower body strength this afternoon after watching the Ravens game.

Docket. Congrats on the AG win!

Damaris, woo!  Great job!

Karen, nice runs this weekend. Have fun camping. 

Lori, nice runs for you too.  Annoying about the work drama. 

HCK, good workout. My foot is much better, just some soreness with certain movements. I’ll take next week off of running too, just to be extra cautious. No reason not to. 

Kat, sorry you got stuck with the lame team at work today. 

I walked 3 miles yesterday and 4 miles today. Very productive weekend, got a lot of house and yard chores done. Having a beer and fixing spaghetti for dinner.