Womens Running

Happy Thanksgiving THURSDAYS! (DAILIES) (Read 15 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I hope you all know how THANKFUL I am to have all of you in my life! I consider you ladies my best friends. I wouldn't enjoy this sport as much as I do if it wasn't for youl!! Smile Enjoy today with friends and family! XOXO

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

5 for me!

Good run! MUCH better than yesterday. I usually wait at least 10 days to do any speed work after a race so will probably throw some of that in next week. I can't believe training starts Monday! Excited to meet the training team next Saturday!

Sweet potatoes and cheesecake made! The cheesecake looks good but I am nervous about it. For one, the damn pan leaked - luckily I had in another baking sheet so it didn't get all over the oven. It didn't look like batter, more like butter. Thinking the melted butter + gingersnaps (which probably had butter already in them) was more than it could handle. Not sure if that makes a difference on taste? I guess we will see! Also a little nervous on the "jiggly" stage. You know if its done if it has a slight giggle - I was so concerned about it over cooked I hope it isn't undercooked! LOL. Looking forward to spending time with family! Love Thanksgiving!

Going to take the time this morning and clean this house (with my new mop, hehe) and do some shopping! Smile

Kathryn - YAY for Thanksgiving! Sorry it was a rough one and sorry you have to work today. At least they are doing a meal there. I was thinking this morning that you will probably be super busy, right? Aw, thank you so much for the compliment Smile

Run4kupcakes - Nice miles yesterday! I was also expecting it to be super windy today..I didn’t notice any wind LOL.

Margaret - OMG. That recipe looks amazing!! Let me know how it turns out - or I guess ask the guests if they are good Smile

Oh, we are going for the album. It is expensive but worth it.

Have a great day everyone!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Happy Thanksgiving! Rest day for me.

Lizzie, did you use a springform pan? I put mine on a cookie sheet because it does tend to get some oil/butter that leaks out.

Bikerchick1

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Lizziie - I’m sure your cheesecake will be delish!  

HCK - Enjoy your rest day!

I agree with Lizzie - This group is so inspiring, supportive, and fun!!!!   Thankful for everyone Smile

Just got back from my own little Turkey trot around the neighborhood.  Family coming soon for dinner so I needed to get it down early.

Carol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning and Happy Thanksgiving!  Ran the Gobblers Jog 5K and 5Ks still suck, ha.  It was a nice event, weather was not too windy.

Weights later and roasting the turkey.

Liz, nice 5.  Good luck with the baking.

HCK, enjoy the rest.

Carol, nice job with the trotting.

Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Yes, I used a springform pan and put it in a cookie sheet! It did look like oil/butter. Did it still taste good?!

Happy Thanksgiving! Rest day for me.

Lizzie, did you use a springform pan? I put mine on a cookie sheet because it does tend to get some oil/butter that leaks out.

LC Runs

Happy Thanksgiving!!

5.4 morning miles.  Not sure why, but I was pretty speedy (for me) today, ended up being kind of a tempo run.  I am recently running with music and I think that really helps.

House is straightened up and the food is pretty much together, I just made a couple of things and everyone is bringing something.  It will be a fairly small group (8 of us), my kids will be here for part of the afternoon but are actually eating at their Grandmas.

Lizzie - we are all so thankful for YOU!!  I bet your cheesecake will be delish....I love it but have never made it.  I used to work with a lady that made mini cheesecakes for work Christmas presents...so good!

Half K - Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your rest day!

Hi Carol - have a great dinner!!

Damaris - glad you enjoyed the race...I agree, 5K's suck LOL

Anonymous Guest

Quick hello from me! Add me to the list of those thankful for all of you. I'm sitting at my sister's house after a 10K this morning. Heading over around noon for the entire family and all the food. Last night we had a group of 15 at a local restaurant for dinner. Some of my mom's cousins, plus all the immediate family except for my older nephew (on his way up from St. Louis this morning) and my brother's wife (who had to work). Lots of fun, DH and I ended up sitting between my dad and my brother + 10 yo nephew, who is just hilarious.

I ran the 10K with my niece. She didn't know her "normal" pace, figured maybe 10 minute miles. So we ran the first four miles at 9:50. She told me about 3 miles in "maybe I don't hate running if I pace it right." She thought we were running over 10, so I told her at mile 4 we would finish about 1:01 so I might try to get her to pick up the pace to get under an hour. So then we ran a 9:33 mile. And then we ran into all the walkers doing the 5K. Taking up the entire street. Proud aunt moment - she got just as frustrated as I do and started picking up the pace and passing everyone. Mile 6 was under 9, then the last 0.2, uphill, was under an 8 minute mile. We finished at 59:26 and we never slowed down or walked. She pushed hard at the end, said she thought she was going to throw up for a bit after. SO PROUD. My sister did the 5K, then waited in the car until right before we got in.

Kathryn, hope work is just uneventful enough (and in a good way) to not be super boring and drag.

Liz, I bet the cheesecake is delicious. I had some for dessert last night....mmmm.

Damaris, great job on the 5K today. In case I don't get back on here, watch your footing on your Saturday races! You don't have to race those all out, just enjoy the day.

Laura, impressed you pulled together Thanksgiving at your house on such short notice. I'd still be cleaning......

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Giving thanks for lots of things today... health, family, and friends (near or far, running or non-running, real or virtual/imaginary).   Especially grateful for the people that running has brought into my life including this fabulous group!

Went for a walk with DH this morning and then ran 6.  A beautiful, chilly, sunny day with more rain in the forecast, yay.

Lizzie, I know nothing about cheesecake besides eating it, but I'm guessing that it will taste amazing and no one will notice some of the butter leaked out.

HCK, enjoy the rest day.  Hope you get lots of turkey skin today.

Carol, nice job getting in a run before family chaos ensues.

Damaris, WTG on the Gobble Jog.

LC, nice job organizing Thanksgiving at the last minute.

Karen, nice 10k and great job helping your niece.  Sounds like you're having fun with the family.

Kat, thinking of you!  As Karen said, hopefully things are busy enough to keep the day from dragging but not too busy or terrible.

I'm finishing the last of the coffee and then have a couple things to do before roasting those Brussels sprouts and wandering down the street to dinner.  Happy Thanksgiving to anyone celebrating.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Today I ran the Gobbler's Jog 5K (Turkey Trot) in Fishers, IN.  A 5K, you might ask?  Yes, I ran a 5K!  5Ks still suck and I was stupidly slow but I got it done.

I registered for this race because it's literally one mile from my house and a smaller event that the more popular Drumstick Dash in Indianapolis.  For one, it was nice not to have to wake up early and drive 20+ minutes to run a 5K with 20,000 other people. Second, the one mile to and from the house would serve as a warmup and cooldown.  So, between these two races, this one won and likely to win every Thanksgiving from now on.

The race is put out by a local runner who is also in my Fisher Running Club.  It is a well-organized race and it had enough porta-potties, food, water/Gatorade for the runners and walkers and it was also walker and pet friendly.  I really liked the event.

My last turkey trot was 5 years ago, one of the last times Miami wasn't 80F on Thanksgiving Day.  Initially, I wanted to run it for fun, but my coach recommended I raced it if the conditions were good.  At this point, I'm super slow. Slower than I've been in years, and the idea of racing something that I had no chance of PRing or pacing well wasn't my idea of fun.  I have not done much speedwork outside in probably 4 years so this should be a good attempt at crashing and burning and seeing what I was made of.  What I got out from the event is that I'm no woman of steel, but I'm no longer made of butter. Smile

The forecast for this race was horrible.  Initially, we had wind warnings that fortunately moved to Wednesday instead, with gusts from 44-60mph throughout the day. The idea was for me to run 5 miles the night before the race but with those winds, I took my second RD and had two days off instead.  I don't like not running for two days as it makes my legs feel like lead the next time I run, and today was no exception.  But what can you do.  I didn't want to run on the treadmill since I have the opportunity of running those five miles tomorrow, especially since I have been on the treadmill for close to four years.

When I went to bed last night, hubby lost his cellphone and I had to get up and help him find it.  I finally fell asleep at 1am and woke up at 6:40am to get ready.  Temps were 32F with 9mph winds and a windchill of 25F.  Initially I was going to wear a skirt (32F is skirt/shorts weather for me) but since I'm was running to the race and wouldn't have my car available to get warm until the race, I opted for capris.  I wore an INKnBURN pullover and after Mile 2 I regretted it a bit but with the wind, I wasn't too warm during the race.  I ate one Krispy Kreme donut and my Mtn Dew and headed out to the race at 7:30am.

Once I got there I was happy when I saw my running club tent there, which meant I could take shelter from the wind and cold while we waited to start.  We took a group picture and headed to the start at 7:55am.

And we are off!  The course takes us to one of the main roads and parts of my normal running routes, Olio Road. However, I try not to run Olio Road because the area near me is one big running hill and yeap, that was the first mile, mostly a slight uphill.  Of course, I started out too fast for the incline and finished the first mile at 9:20mm.  I didn't really have a goal in mind but 9:20mm is technically my HM pace and it was frustrating to see how slow I've become but whatever, I pushed.  Unfortunately, I'm not used to the inclines here after running on the treadmill for so long and in Miami which has an elevation of ZERO.

Mile 2 had us turn right towards the West and to another rolling hill on route back to the finish.  I started fading through this uphill until I finished mile 2 at 10:20mm or thereabouts.  Ay, ay, ay.  Anyway, we turn right again and into the wind and here is where my legs say, we are done, hello?  Normally at this point I mentally quit and, although I quit a bit and stopped pushing to a faster pace, my goal was to keep the pace I had and hoping for a sub-30 minutes.  At some point during Mile 3, I realized that would be impossible.

Mile 3 has us turn North for a bit before a hairpin turn to head back in the direction of my house and then back to the West to get back to the start and finish.  At this point, my legs have nothing else to give but I keep telling them to shut up.  I started this mile at 11:40mm and ended up with a 10:30mm so at some point, the legs listened.

As we head to the finish I put the last song in my playlist and I start getting pumped.  Apparently I had some speed left because I finished that last run to the finish at 9:10mm.  And I was done in 30:48.  Disappointing for someone with a PR of 24:02 and slower than I have run in forever.  But after my Vitamin D deficiency and lower endurance and training, this is a good bottom for me to work on.  I also have not done short races in forever, being that the Miami weather has been brutal for years. So it should be fun to try to beat this time a few weeks from now if the weather is not too hideous around Christmas time.

Next race: Turkey Legs Trifecta (4K, 5K, 6K) this Saturday!

Damaris

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

I am thankful for all of you as well. 

Damaris, neat pictures! Great work on the race.

I’ve been doing 45 minutes running and 15 minutes walking on the TM all week. I stretch a lot after my runs or I’d get really stiff. I now stretch long because I incorporate some openers as well.  It’s great when you can see progress from doing them. I was having trouble sitting cross-legged so the openers helped that. Inside and outside muscles in the legs were tightening up and affecting the right knee. Knee tracks better now that the muscles are stronger. 

Run tomorrow, then volunteer work.

Happy exercise, All !  

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

LC Runs

Nice day with the BF's fam but they are now gone and I am half passed out on the couch!  My dogs are exhausted because BF's 2 year old nephew was here and he was obsessed with them and they did not return the adoration.  My little dog was kind of bewildered as to why there was this little person running around after her and my older dog was just annoyed and skittish.  They are both passed out.

Karen - awesome job to your niece, glad you are having a good time.  LOL, putting Thanksgiving wasn't too bad because I did minimal cleaning!!  None of them keep clean houses so mine is sparkling in comparison.  I did thoroughly clean/disinfect the bathroom and then just picked up and wiped down the kitchen and living room.

Margaret - yum, I love roasted brussel sprouts, I should have made some though none of BF's family eat vegetables (well, his mom eats some but BF is the only kid that does).

Damaris - great job and looks like a fun race.  Bonus that it was so close to our house!

Judy - nice TM runs!