Womens Running

WACKY WEEKEND (OVER 40) (Read 20 times)

ginnyb

Surgery went well.  Hurts more today then it did before, but not bad.  I don't have a hard cast.  Dr. put a small plate in, holding all in place.  Thursday i am getting all the wrapping off and will just have a splint that i can take on and off at will.  yes, he said i will be able to run.  Just matters to me on how uncomfortable I am.  Just not good if i should fall again.  I am a little skitish about that right now, since i fell twice on Thursday.  I know my toe just caught both times, dont know why all of a sudden my toe would be catching.  So Lisa I have not given up Woodstock yet.  Will see how driving goes and all that.  Right now I am just depressed about the whole thing, but could have been worse!

I'll be good.

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Ginny- glad you're hanging in there. if push comea to shove I could maybe work out a drive to meet you part way or even the whole way (maybe work a visit to Cleveland office in there.). this is a total no pressure on time race since there will be ultra runners out there all day who started the night before.

Slept way in but getting motivated to get out now.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

8.4 for me this am. Now to puppy pool.

Ginny glad lad the surgery went okay.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

6 sticky miles this morning. I hear the weather back home is still delightful. Oh well, it is what it is. Off to meet the realtor and look for some houses.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Ginny, I am so glad your surgery went ok. You are just a little slip of a thing! I know your wrist is tiny. Many hugs to you and may you be healing quickly.

Yesterday was my first run since last Sunday and it went well. I did 35 minutes on the TM. It felt good.

I'm off to pack for the trip.   The trip should offer some chances  for runs.

Happy runs, All!   :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 5 miles and PiYo tonight.

Lisa, that is great!  Hope everything works out for her and give her my cell if she needs anything.

Ginny, glad to hear the surgery went well.  Hope recovery goes smooth and painless.

Marjorie, nice run.  Enjoy the puppy pool.

Karen, nice run.  Good luck with the realtor.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Judy, nice job on the TM.

Damaris

Did two out backs on a rail trail. 5.5 with my wear test shoes (which I don't like) and then 6 with regular shoes. Man that was hard. Not exactly sure why but boring straight and I swear up hill both ways. Not a fan of rail trail especially by my self.

Youngest dd did is going to 1 Direction tonight AND tomorrow (she bought her own tickets). I am not going so eardrums are safe.

Karen-happy house hunting!

damaris- I will give number to her. She moves on the 13th.

judy- have a great vacation.

Marjorie-nice miles!

Lisa

camille2

Ginny, I had missed your need for surgery.  Fast healing!

Late Saturday check-in for me.  Ran 9.2 with DH and my RC this morning.  Spent a few hours on yard work, hit the grocery store, and read the paper.  Having dinner with friends of DH tonight and then going up to visit my Dad tomorrow.  One of my sisters is in town with her family so we'll see them at Dad's.  I have good news -- I accepted a job offer last week and will be leaving my law firm to work as counsel in the Office of the General Counsel for the Social Security Administration, start date 9/21.  It'll be a change from law firm life, but I'm more than ready for something new.

Ginny, I'm sorry to hear about your wrist.  Hope it heals soon.

Lisa, what shoes were you testing?  I think you are wise to give One Direction a miss.

Marjorie, hope the pups had fun at the pool.

Karen, will sticky will be your new normal for this time of year in TX?  How's the house hunting?

Damaris, have you started your Chicago training?

Judy, safe travels.  Hope your time away is restorative.

Hi Camille!

Waves to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LC Runs

Hey Ladies!!

4 miles this morning, had to make it early to get DS #1 to the bus for his first High School soccer game (well, it was a scrimmage, season officially starts next Friday), so great to see him playing after last year's nasty wrist break.  He got his driver's permit Friday so I let him drive a bit with me today, oh boy, I may need to start taking Xanax since I have 2 more to go....

Ginny - I guess I missed the post about your surgery, but glad it's over and you're doing well.  Hang in there.

Lisa - nice 11.5 for you today!

Marjorie - nice run, hope you had a good time at puppy pool!

Karen - our humidity has been low the past few days, I like it!  Good luck with house hunting.  I am envious, I want to live somewhere where there is NO SNOW!!

Hi Judy - nice TM run!

Damaris - hope you had a good 5 miles!

Gatsby - busy day for you!  Sounds like fun

Hi Camille!!

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

Back in NC after a lovely visit with my family in upstate NY. I'll be up early to get in 12 miles in the morning, so I'm off to bed.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Arimathea

Tessa

I can see I'm going to have to go back and read. Ginny, what happened? Sorry to hear about your injury.

I am running in before bed to file a race report: Bogus Marathon.

This was an inaugural marathon, an expansion of the existing “Snow Cone Shuffle” 5K/10K/half marathon. Much to the organisers’ surprise, the marathon attracted more entrants than any other distance. They’d had 34 in the half last year. This year, with minimal publicity (they didn’t even have it listed in marathonguide.com until I suggested they add it to that calendar after finding it on the Maniacs’ calendar) they had approximately 75 in the full. The race starts at the top of the mountain and descends, going down about from 7000 to 3000 over the 26 miles with most of that descent in the first 20. Note to some runners: “overall 4000 elevation loss” does not mean “no uphills”.

The finish was at a park in a suburb of Boise, we were supposed to leave our cars there and catch a 4:30 AM shuttle to the start which was at the top of a mountain, Bogus Basin Ski Area. We arrived. We waited. The buses did not arrive. At 4:50 the RD came up with an alternate plan. Could runners with larger vehicles take fellow runners up to the start? The race would reimburse the drivers for gas and shuttle the drivers back up to the start line to get their vehicles. This would not work in a large race, obviously, but it worked for a race this size. About 12 people offered their minivans, SUVs, or station wagons and we all piled in. I wound up in a car with three other runners and a race staffer who had worked up at the summit and was leading a long caravan of vehicles.

Up we went. There were only 2 portapotties at the start and a line formed immediately, expectable. The start was not labeled but the RD pulled everyone together, reminded us all to stay to the right because there was a bike race going UP the mountain the same morning and they were also staying to the right and in addition the road was not closed to cars. I meet Jeff, the Maniac who put the race on the calendar where I found it, and thank him for his thought. I would probably not have known about the race without his effort. We started out in a cool dawn. I stopped immediately and took advantage of the now line-free facility, so I was last down the starting stretch.

I immediately start passing runners, first a woman who was walking and then a venerable gentleman who’s a 50 stater and who I’ve seen before. Then there’s an out and back in the lower ski area parking lot and a service road, taking us to mile 4 after the out and back. I look at my watch and think I’m doing 11 minute miles, not great but not too bad for me. Now comes the long stretch down the mountain. We’ll get back to civilization between 19 and 20 and then the last six miles are on city streets, this is sort of a reverse of Lost Dutchman which has the first six in the desert and then the remainder on roads and streets.

I pass the 5 mile mark well before I was expecting it, I think miles 1-4 were slightly long. At the 5 mile I’m at 10:30 mpm, which is about what I thought I was running all along. Woo hoo!

Long trek down the mountain. Aid stations about every 3 miles. Not all of them have portapotties. I’m having a few issues and make several stops in the trees, it’s annoying because each time I catch up to a woman in a chartreuse top and pink compression socks (yes she is wearing shorts and shoes as well) I have to duck off the course and she passes me again. Bother. I also start passing others, slowly, but I’m definitely catching up to some other runners.

At about mile 10 we start seeing the cyclists on their way up. They are friendly. One calls “go Maniac!” seeing my singlet, others wave, we all exchange “good job!” and “looking good!” type comments. Then I see one who seems to have misplaced half his bicycle. Someone is doing this ascent on a unicycle? Wow.

Some of the road is fairly straight, other portions are steep switchbacks so we can see who’s ahead and who’s behind. I catch several people on a switchback descent and then pass one woman as we climb a heavy-duty upgrade at mile 17. Phew. Uphills are one of my strong suits, as she finds out. So do the two in front of her.

There’s a further descent, we get out of the national forest and into the outskirts of Eagle, Idaho, which is a suburb of Boise. Turn right on one main drag, Hill Road, we’re at the 20 mile marker and I’m still hoping to pull off 4:40 or so.

This is hot and flat, along a busy street, the good things about it are that there is a wide bike lane and we are on the shady side of the street. I catch several people, including the woman who I was passing and being passed by earlier in the race. We cross an intersection with a crossing guard together and get onto a secondary road, which is nicer. Miles 22, 23, 24, and this is now a lightly traveled residential road with what appears to be an irrigation canal up the hill which is pouring water into people’s gardens and fields. Is there no water shortage in Idaho? Last aid station and I put on some speed and make it down the last small piece of road, cross the street, and into the parking lot where the finish line is. I am very happy to finish. Medal, Otter Pops (yum), talk to several people, and off to find diet Coke. I think I came in right about 4:40, though the results aren’t posted and there was no finish line clock.

For an inaugural this was a good race. I now have Idaho on my list, which makes 22 states completed, and 84 fulls and ultras overall. I would recommend this one, the glitches weren’t enough to make it a bad race and I thought the organizers tried very hard to make this race an enjoyable one.

Bikerchick1

Ginny - So sorry about your fall - glad your surgery is over and it well good though!  How much time off work for you?

Gatsbybird - Congrats on the new position!

LCruns - Exciting times for you!

Tessa - Congrats and great RR.  You sure have put in the miles over the years.  When did you start running?

Marjorie - I still cannot picture puppy pool....sounds like a great time though.

LisaMMR - Agree, out and back rail trails are BORING....

Damarias -Don't you just love the stretch you get from PiYo.  I have been missing my Yogalates (replaced with bike rides), but back at it this Thursday...can't wait!

Busy few days.  Aly is staying with us for 5 days ....yikes, don't get me wrong, you know how much I love, love, love that girl...but, Nonny is tired!  DD is off on a "family vacation" with the in-laws to celebrate the Dad's 60th bday....I say...WTH...if it were my 60th, I would want my GD there....they rented a houseboat in Kentucky, and DD was freaked out that there were so many doors on the boat, no beach, and she and her DH would be worried the whole time Aly could fall off....so I understand that part...but geeze.  Rant over.  We took her Mackinaw City and the Island for 3 days.  We did have a great time!

Up early, and off to run!

Carol

camille2

Congrats, tessa!

congrats, gatsby, on your new job. I hope it's great.

I'm got in 40" this a.m In 70 degrees and 90 humidity. I brought summer things to leave at the cabin and left running skirt and socks there, not remembering I'd need them at my mom's so I looked a little odd in my cotton "painter paint" type shorts.  im meeting a friend to hike later.