Womens Running

Rise and shine weekend daily (Read 14 times)

I’m heading off to volunteer at a trail race. Looks like a good day to be out there, sunny and a tad chilly. 41 at my house now, will be a little colder there. 

Got some Christmas shopping done yesterday for nieces and nephews. Mostly gift cards but a few real gifts that required some thought (and suggestions from my siblings). One nephew is a cross country runner in high school who wants my DH’s old shirts from past races. That’s easy!

Visiting dad tomorrow.

Any plans this weekend?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have 5-6 tonight. Didn't run last night; I was so sore from lifting, lol.

We are heading to the movies, not sure if we will see Avatar or wait until next week or Thursday.

Margaret, enjoy your dad visit.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Heading to my sister's this afternoon to hang out with her and her daughter. Spent the morning dealing with credit cards, health insurance, online banking (I think she's finally got that figured out), Social Security, etc. I need to make a couple phone calls for her on Monday before I leave, but hopefully Mom will be a lot less stressed about stuff after this.

It's supposed to be a little warmer and a little less windy tomorrow, so I'll go for a run after church.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Half Crazy K 2.0

3.5 miles. Running into the headwind on the way home sucked.

GatsbyBird , stay warm.

Docket, what movie will you see if you don't see Avatar?

AnonymousGuest, throwing this out there after the crap we went through.....check to make sure your mom's POA, will and medical POA is all up to date. We had both been told (and shown) by MIL where all the important paperwork was only to learn that none of it was up to date. The lack of a will was probably the biggest WTF given the family owned farm.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

HCK, we saw Devotion about one of the first African American aviators during the Korean War. It was excellent. The other one we wanted to see was the one by Will Smith directed by Antoine Fuqua but it got a short stay at the theaters (I assume it was a limited run since it was a historical movie about slavery (I think).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

AnonymousGuest, throwing this out there after the crap we went through.....check to make sure your mom's POA, will and medical POA is all up to date. We had both been told (and shown) by MIL where all the important paperwork was only to learn that none of it was up to date. The lack of a will was probably the biggest WTF given the family owned farm.

If you and your sister are nearby, maybe it's time to have her write one and you guys can witness if she does not.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Thanks guys. She has all of that taken care of already. They did her will and POA stuff basically assuming she'd outlive my dad. Pretty much everything gets split three ways. She also met with their money guy and changed beneficiaries for everything to the three of us, and both my brother and sister went with her.

I'm going to try to run a little tomorrow. It looks like the wind if finally going to die down a bit after three cold and windy days. Then heading home before this deep freeze hits next week.

Today was fun, we went over to my sister's and played cards and had dinner. Lots of laughing. Fun seeing my niece. Last night we met my brother and nephew for dinner, glad I got a chance to see them too.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Hey Ladies!

In Bangkok.  BIG city, lots of traffic, lots of people.  Shocker.  Got in yesterday late afternoon and took a VERY windy dinner cruise which I enjoyed.  Today I mostly shopped, went to a famous flea market, neat to see, not to shop.  Then to the Jim Thompson House Museum.  (American silk and art collector (?) who lived here during Vietnam I believe and disappeared one day without a trace.). Didn’t really appreciate that there was a museum, I just meandered a bit of the grounds, beautiful, then shopped for some silk.  $$$. Shit and oops.  Struggling a bit as to how to get around and how to see things without spending an arm and a leg being a single.  All the landmark tours here are private and one person is the same price as two.  Most tours were $3-400 for about 5 hours.  I finally found one, with decent recent reviews for $150 for up to 8 hours. Crossing fingers it’s decent.  Also have a canal boat tour, bike/boat tour, and a night TukTuk ride.  That is mostly filling my time here.  Whoa boy and howdy, spendy.  I am spending FAR more here than the entire previous 3 weeks.  Crap.

Margaret, hope you enjoyed volunteering.  I am doing the overnight at Bandera in Jan.  I have done it 2 or 3 times and always enjoy, even overnight.  Brrrrrrrr.  Aravaipa is coming and live streaming the 100K this year!  I guess there are lots of big names, including my girl crush, Courtney.  Going to show up early in hopes of catching a glimpse.

Damaris, did you see Avatar?  There are signs here advertising it and I read it is supposed to be a block-buster.

Kathi, headwinds on the way home are the worst…

Karen, nice you’re able to spend time with the family.  Aging parents are hard, and it seems like everyone I know is going through it because we are all that age…. My Mom is really struggling with getting to be elderly, not just old.   She waffles between knowing she cannot travel again and accepting it, to thinking she can go with a walker.  Uh, WHAT!

Going home on Thursday is going to be a shocker.  Friday the night is 37, with a low of 18.  Coming from 80-90 is gonna be chilly.  Almost a 30 degree temp drop from Thurs (64) to Fri (37), WTF!

Think i am going to go lie down in a few, a couple of glasses of late lunch wine has done me in and I have a very swanky rooftop dinner tonight. A little pricier than I realized, but what the hell…

Be well.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Kat, we didn't get to see it. It will break records if the seats available for every timeframe is any indication. We can wait a couple of weeks. Safe travels back. There is a blizzard going likely on Thursday for many parts of the midwest.

Damaris

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I remember seeing the original Avatar and not understanding what all the hype was about, I thought it meh,  so I'm going to pass on it's sequel. I'm dragging hubby to see A Man Called Otto when it finally opens. He has no clue what it's about so I'm hoping watching it changes his grumpy old man status. I loved the book.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Anonymous Guest

Kathryn, Bangkok sounds crazy. But I'm sure totally different from anything you've seen/done before. Enjoy!

Damaris, since covid started I haven't even paid attention to what movies are coming out. We finally rented the (no longer) new Top Gun at home a week or so before I came up here.....no idea what's playing currently. I'm with Lori though, didn't really like the first Avatar so not really interested in that.

Lori, again, I think I heard at one point they were making Ove into a movie. It's been long enough ago I could probably read that book again. It was one of my all-time favorites.

I'm going to run a few miles this afternoon. Temps only in the 20s, but it's sunny and there is no wind. Been cloudy and windy since I got here, it seems like. Mom is doing a lot better now that she's got her money and bills pretty much figured out. I've got her probably 80% convinced she can do the local 5k in May and told her my sister and I will walk it with her. Just walking I think she could place in the 70+ group (and would win if they had an 80-84 AG). She says she might not start working on it until March or April, but if she signs up for the fitness center again (which I hope she does), they have an indoor track she could walk on.

Fun day volunteering yesterday, although there was some excitement when someone staggered into our aid station dealing with some diabetic problems.  It was his first trail race and apparently it imposed very different demands on his body than the road races that he was used to.  He was coherent and it wasn't an emergency situation, but he definitely needed some glucose.  After we confirmed that the medics at the finish line had some, a volunteer drove him there and he ended up fine.

I'm going to dash, heading up to my dad's house but need to make a stop in the city first.  Ran easy 6 today.  BBL!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I didn't love the first Avatar either, but my husband did. The ride is probably THE best ride ever, technologically speaking: gorgeous and you can feel the bird under you like you are really riding it. That's at least until Guardians of the Galaxy ride, which I've heard surpasses the Avatar one.

I gave up on my run after 3.50. Sore lower back; wondering if it was the weights or what.

Damaris

Busy day today.  Went to my dad's house and to Christmas carols in the city, did some grocery shopping for him, hit a few bookstores but did not find the last Christmas gift that I needed.  Will need to improvise since I left it too late to order online.  As I always do.  

Re movies, I also wasn't that big on the original Avatar and doubt that I'll see the next one.  I am also a huge fan of A Man Called Ove.  As much as I like Tom Hanks, I have a hard time believing a movie could do the book justice.  Have you fellow Fredrick Backman fans read Anxious People?

Karen, glad to hear your mom is doing better.  That 5k would be fun, hopefully she signs up.

Kat, wow, what a trip you're having!

Hi Damaris, Lori, HCK, and everyone else.

Meh, Monday again tomorrow...

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Margaret,  yes I've read that book. I liked it a lot but it still wasn't my favourite of his. I've read them ALL. I cried ugly tears reading And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer And Longer

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**