Womens Running

It's December! weekend (over 40) (Read 297 times)

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good afternoon  - back for a RR.

I ran the Jingle Bell 5K this morning.  The temps  were in the mid-20's, it was snowing, and the course was on a hilly walking path that hadn't been treated.   That made for a slow slog for me - 38:22.  The snow was a bit of a surprise.  There wasn't any snow on the ground at my house.  My hip started to hurt right around mile 1 - mostly, I think, because my feet were slipping around on the path.  It didn't stop hurting, but I didn't stop either.  I guess that's my "win" for the day.  I kept running even though I was miserable and just wanted to sit down.  

Lisa - bless you!  A 13-year old daughter.  I'm always amazed how any of survive our own adolescence... much less how our parents do! lol

Carolyn - the very thought of anything sweet, frosty, or sticky is enough to send me running the other way right now!

Camille - looks like the 17th will be cool.  We'll figure it out, since it looks like you're going to be S. of the airport.  YAY!

Linda - I'll try to get a good pic of the entry when it's displayed.  I guess if I have to get stuck with work, doing something creative is the best kind of work to get stuck with! 

Karen - YOU ROCK!!  That's an awesome time, and at least 3rd in AG.  very nice.  

Lisa-Marie - excellent on your dress rehearsal.  Knowing that it is do-able is half the battle to meeting your goal.  thumbs up!

Cindy - YAY on meeting your goal!  What a great feeling.

Be well all 

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Congrats Lisa Marie. You've got this. WTG Julie, Karen and Cindy!

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Well poo. I had a post done and then hit "back" by mistake and lost it.

Welcome Gatsbybird! I'm in southern California, have done CIM twice but am not up there this year. Good luck!

Cindy, Karen, congratulations!

Ginny, silly DH, of course you are going to spend on the grandkids!

Lisa, hope Kaite had a good birthday. One more teenager in the house...

Lisa Marie, sister in margaritas last night, mmm.

Linda, we need to get together and go for a run followed by Mexican food! Ojai, maybe? Or SB?

Marjorie, you are so right about batteries eventually losing their charge.

Hello to everyone I haven't mentioned (I'm on the second page and afraid of losing the post again).

20 miles this morning, slight drizzle but not bad, nice running weather. Neighbour was at a 5K so no awkwardness about going for a long run alone. Loved it. Then 2 with DS this afternoon.

Dinner is nearly ready, so need to go take care of food. Back tomorrow I hope!

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I'm back for a longer RR. Today's race was the Mistletoe half, right here in my town. This is my fourth time running it, plus I train frequently on the course, so I'm very familiar with it. My biggest concern was to try to avoid my fatal flaw - going out too fast in races. To that end, I was very excited to discover earlier in the week that I could switch one of the displays on my Garmin to show the average pace for my current mile. This helped me tremendously in managing my pace.

It was a perfect day for racing - about 40 at the start and sunny. The race starts at the Y, and the first mile climbs up out of the hole the Y sits in. I went out at 9:05, just under my goal pace of 9:09. The next four miles wind through pretty neighborhoods, then we wind through the former estates of RJ Reynolds and his family. I was running in the high 8s but felt pretty good. DH and my Saturday running buddy's DH were there to cheer us on at mile 6, just before we started the loop through the Wake Forest University campus. This is my least favorite part of the course - it is rolling hills and always seems to last longer than it should. I went back by DH at mile 9, just before the biggest hill on the course. I got up the hill in decent shape - that mile was 9:28 - and was happy that I was able to regain my faster pace. In past years, the hill has really knocked the wind out of me and I've had a hard time recovering. By mile 11 I was starting to struggle, but I was able to hold my pace right around 9:00. I finished in 1:58:01. Slower than last year, but I also knew that I'm not in the same shape I was then, so I was pleased.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

runlikeagirl18

Now for personals:

Gatsbybird - thanks for the welcome to RA, and welcome to our group! Don't worry about posting late in the day - as several folks have noted, most of us check the previous day's thread for late posts.

Ginny - I'm afraid my Garmin is starting to die as well. I pretty much have to charge it before every run.

Julie - ooh, I would so not be the person you would want decorating the gingerbread house. My talents do not lie in that direction. I did see a ninjabread cookie kit that I thiink I might go back and get - the boys will get a kick out of it. Nice job on the 5K is lousy conditions! The ease of winter running is one of the things that I love about living in NC.

Lisa - happy birthday to Kaite!

Marjorie - nice job on the tempo run. It must feel good to get your mileage back up.

Carolyn - I hope the party was fun!

Camille - I started buying better shoes when I started to have issues with PF - and I love love love my Merrells! I have some Danskos too, but they're just not as comfortable. I would say that I'm in Merrell's probably 90% of the time.

Linda - sorry about the fighting with DH. I'm pretty lucky in my marriage - we get along pretty well most of the time - but my first marriage (this is my second) was miserable, and I know what a toll it can take.

Karen - as I said earlier, you are just blazing fast! I know you must be high as a kite (not literally, of course) over your time. Congrats on your AG place.

Lisa Marie - yay on the successful run-through! To answer your question about shoes - as Tessa said, it varies. I am a heavier runner, injury-prone, and a heavy heel striker. I get about 350 miles out of a pair of Nikes.

AmyDel - yay on getting back out there! Take it easy - you don't want to wind up back in a boot. So sorry about the rough year - see my comment to Linda above.

Tessa - yay on the long run alone. No margaritas for me, but I'm enjoying a bit of red wine.

Off to bed - I'm pretty wiped.

Cindy

camille2

Cindy, I'm so happy for you! Great job!  I share that fatal flaw.  DD and I toured Wake Forest when she looked at colleges and it was the most beautiful campus I've ever seen with it's huge trees.  Of course, I didn't have to worry about hills. :  )

Julie, good for you for hanging in there!  Sounds like a race to train mental toughness and you made it!

Karen, blazing fast again!  That is so awesome!

Tessa, nice 20!

Hi to everyone else...I don't remember anything else from p1.

Linda, sorry about probs with hubby.  Just an idea...have you read the Happiness Project?  I remember a chapter on marriage in it that I wish I'd read while hubby was alive.  We had a  good marriage, but had our ups/downs and I thought if I'd read it (and could have actually practiced it) while he was alive, it might have made him feel more appreciated, which he seemed to need more than me.

For those looking for a GPS, the 410 is on Amazon today for 149. I got one late last  Sunday as their deal of the day, but it's there again this am.  I've been actively looking and it's the cheapest I've found, even cheaper than the 110 I bought Black Friday sale and plan to return (unopened).  I read the reviews but it sounds like if you lock the bezel, it works ok. It also has a HR monitor and with my rare arrythmias, I'm going to try that.   I'm such a nerd, I don't have to have the bells/whistles, but I  do like them. Driving to a flat place for a longish run today.

Congrats to all who raced!! Sounds like all hit their goals!

Or practiced raced.   WTG!

Not that speed motivated now .. as opposed to??? LOL Did do my own DD BDay half yesterday before she even woke up.  Made her pancakes in funny shapes for breakfast.  Starting to ready house for holiday decorations a bit and today will get them up.  Yesterday dd had a basketball game which 2 scored to baskets in (high scoring 31-25) and her team won so that was fun. We then went to a party with some of my Lansing area run buddies.  DH came but sheesh.  He either sat alone in a side room or out on a porch.  I and others tried to draw him into conversation but on way home he said I can't just talk to people like you. I don't run so have nothing to talk about. I had a good time and dd played with the other kids. Hostess had made a bday cake for Kaite and another guest's son who shared same bday. 

Her party will be next Fri night. sleepover (groan) and trip to Skyzone which is all trampoline place. Even the walls are bouncy.  She's the only teen in the house and we've been there done this so should be fine but... not necessarily fun all of the time. LOL

Virtual run: 

Here are my ideas on run but nothing that I am "married" to or would take offense IN THE LEAST for others to disagree with.. just my ideas..

• have a window of time for races to occur, possibly 2 weekends. her Bday is February 5 so maybe plan for then. Holidays will be past.
                • have people pick their own distance and try to make it an odd one... anydistance counted to Karnel is part of thought. Other part is that way each can win at thier distance (at least those who care) ... although on second thought Karnel didn't really seem to care about winning did she but still think that not having specific distance opens it up. Worth noting is that Karnel spoke of wanting to do more half's and even a full someday so those would be good distances to try to aim for.
                • OR say that distance or time should have 44 in it which correlates with her age maybe?
                • No specific donation amount
                • skip any kind of shirt for participants, that way whatever is donated goes to family not shirt company, eliminates someone having to order and distribute shirts too and I really don't need another shirt.
                • however I do like idea of making own Karnel's Amazing Race or Karnel's Amazing People shirt and taking pic wearing it for "race". could be on a hat or even just a sign held up in front of person.

Okay, so last bullet gave me a different thought... what if someone graphically inclined created a logo/picture of race name and anyone who participated / donated had it sent to them. Print it out and take pic holding it then post their pic in location representing where they live/ran. then add all of the miles together and at end create a graphic showing where "Karnel" ran from her home town with total combined distance.

• any website that supports paypal or any credit card securely where we can donate to would be preferred.

Thoughts?

Lisa

mommymac

Lisa - I love the idea of a graphic for our virtual race and posting photos of our locations. Adding the mileage together to see the distance covered would be a fun way to track what we accomplish.

Do you picture the graphic as an 8 x 10 sign to hold up? Or a graphic we can each choose to display in our own way, like a pennant, flag, or t-shirt we make ourselves?

Carolyn

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

Quick post from me, just back from my run and  need to get ready to go Xmas shopping.  10 miles today, 7.1 yesterday.  Quiet weekend around here, but that's the way I like em lol.

Will try and check out  and respond to everyone later - Have a wonderful Sunday!!

Laura

Linda

Karen:  congrats on a great race time!

Marjorie:  Tempo after 8 miles--pretty hardcore!

Camille:  I am going to start waiting to pay for races.  So many times, things just happen where you don't feel like racing, or you can't for some reason.  I'm glad you saved your money.

Lisa-Marie:  I predict that you are going to have a great time at your 5K.

ajdx5:  I fear my attempts at speed may be a thing of the past.  I am trying to decide right now between a recovery run or just complete rest of the knee.

I can't see the second page, so I'll have to look again and post again Smile

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

runlikeagirl18

Looking at the results from yesterday, I was 12 out of 63 in my AG. I'm pretty happy with that!

After an hour of building with Legos, I'm off to decorate the house.

Cindy

Funky here too.  I couldn't type until I had pressed Bold.  Good thing we are known for our persistence.

Cindy-congrats! that is awesome.  I'm used to being 12th too... when there are 12 in AG. LOL

Linda-you do know that speed is relevant.  your slow is my fast. and so on.  In the end I say that if it's no longer fun then why are you doing it?  better to be slow/recover and be happy than try to be fast and be miserable. (remind me again of this later please)

Julie-wtg on the race and keeping at it!

Tessa-nice runs!

I have another local runner who said she can connect me with the person who has set up her charity runs.  Maybe that will work.

Was raining and I just didn't feel like getting all wet (as if I don't sweat anyways) so headed to my $10/month Planet Fitness gym.  Got some grief on FB about treadmill when weather in low 50's so figured I'd make it be a worthwhile tm run.  Warmed up a mile then thought I'd do my usual ratchet up every minute ladder thingie.  But part way through that changed mind and started to do .5 mile repeats at 10 min/mile pace (fast for me but not all out) with .25 recoveries at 12 min/mile.  Figured I'd do 5 or maybe 6.  Coming up on an hour and I'm at 5.25. Wanted to do at least 6 miles so started tm over again and after doing 6th figured I'd do another, then I only needed 3 more to complete the 10 so stuck it out.  Not sure what that tells me for marathon time but isn't it supposed to predict it?    Basically I did the Yasso repeats at 6.0 with recoveries at 5.0.  with warm adn cool ended up being 9 miles in 1:38.  Wasn't dieing on them but was glad for recovery.

Dawned on me afterwards that I did that with only "walk" time being when I had to stop and restart tm which is fairly big for me. Also without any gel just gatorade/water mix. Will definitely take tomorrow off because I think I'll feel it.

Lisa

Looked it up and I guess runnign the repeats at a 10 min/mile pace means i can run a 5 hour marathon. Not exactly earth shattering or too surprising.  Guess I need to increase that speed a little on the repeats to get sub 5... or just run the marathon faster LOL

Lisa

RunningSister

Favorite Sister of All!

Good afternoon All!

At work so may have to cut it short and post again later!  Day 7 of 8 and I am getting a little tired!

Karen--WTG on a great race!  You are really getting fast!!  I say hang out on cloud 9 as long as you like!!

Cindy--Nice job on the sub-2:00 race!  I barely remember those days as I seem to just get slower and slower!! Nice RR!

Julie-D--Your 5K sounds rough--not exactly great conditions so congrats on sticking to it!!  I think I would boycott gumdrops for a while after all you had to do.  What a project!

Ginny--I had a Garmin 405CX that wasn't holding a charge -- it improved with several updates from the Garmin site, but after 3 years it isn't holding a charge.  Got  a new Garmin 610 which I like.  There are a lot of good deals out there on several different models.  Hope you find one that works for ya! 

Camille--I hate when I accidentally delete a post I have almost finished!! 

LInda6897--Sorry to hear you had such a crappy week--I hope this week is better for you.

Lisa-Marie--Nice to see how well that training is paying off for you!  I sense you will have a terrific 5K!!

ajdx--nice to see you are back at it and doing so well!  Great times especially with the nose blowing LOL!

Tessa--Oh, those furry alarm clocks are going to be hood ornaments if they don't start behaving LOL--Where were they when I almost missed the flight to Philly 2 weeks ago--oh yea, they were sound asleep too!  WTG on the 20 miles!! then the +2 miles!!

Gatsbybird--I try to check late in the evening then the next day for my West Coast friends' posts!!  Hi!!

MMR--Happy belated bday to Kaite!  Ahhh--13!  Such a "fun" age!  WTG on the Yassos!  Sounds speedy to me!  Love your virtual race ideas!  I'm in but please don't look to me for any creative design help--that is one part of my brain that never developed LOL  I will be happy to help in any other way needed

Finally recovered from 16.3 miles yesterday.  Worked until late Friday night, got home, set out all my stuff for the 3.2 miles + HM Sat am.  Got about 3 hours sleep--up early and RB#1 came over--headed out to HM site--busy already since there was also a 5K so parking was a little challenge.  HIt the porta-potty(hadn't been used yet--that's a first for me)! then over toward the lake to run 3.2 or so until the race started--crowded at the start and plenty of runners throughout.  RB and I took it slowly and basically chatted to mile 10(our mile 13.2) when she listened to music and I felt like my legs of lead were going to fall off.  Actually ran(and stretched) side-by-side with another woman who also ran the Philly marathon--we both wondered what we were doing running a HM on cobblestone streets!  The last 1.9 miles are on very uneven brick street--my legs were so tired.  Managed to get it all done--HM time slower than ever 2:18 but I got my 16+ miles in and didn't have to carry water or gels LOL.  I haven't run with RB#1 in a loooong time so it was great to catch up-despite feeling so slow and tired.   Got home--felt like a wooden puppet--showered and off to 12 hours at work--got in to bed last night and everything hurt--WTH???  I am feeling rather old these days.  I wonder when I am going to have a run that feels great?  It's been a while.  I'm feeling less sore today and hope to be back running tomorrow even if it is slow!

Back to work--will check back later

Have a great dayCool

Julia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Keep Running! Cross the finish line! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arimathea

Tessa

Quick post, planning on taking DS for a short run in a few minutes and I have cookie dough to make so I can bake it on Monday night for Tuesday's bake sale -- the first of several this month.

5.5 this morning before WW and church. Run included a closer-than-preferred encounter with wildlife -- I had just turned off a main road and was running through a housing tract when I looked up and I was about 6 feet from a coyote. Said coyote was looking at me appraisingly. Not sure if he was fascinated by my blinky light or if he was trying to figure out if I was vulnerable, but he didn't have much chance to reflect on the matter. I shouted at him, shook the bag of cans I was carrying, chased him a few steps, and he took off up the bank. Not sure what I'd have done if he came at me except yell louder, fend off, and shout "FIRE!" loudly and clearly. I suspect at least one person called the sheriff to report a disturbance (this was just before 6 AM) because I heard sirens a few minutes later, but I wasn't going back to see if that was the cause.

Happy runs!