Womens Running

Strava Fail Thursdailies (Read 11 times)

Well..that was weird.  My watch said "Strava not available" and did not record or upload my spin class workout.  Sad

DH has been at the office all week for a conference.  I've been wfh most of the week to let the pups out.  I'm tired of cooking--any dinner ideas??

Not much to report here. Have a great day!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have 5 later.

Been having some issues with my BP being high all week even though I've not missed any of my medication doses, sigh. Might be why I had a migraine yesterday and left work early.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

I am trying to get up some motivation to do a tempo workout this morning.

I am apparently falling apart. In addition to the osteopenia and more imaging of my right boob, I also have borderline high cholesterol. Not surprising, as it's always been on the higher than normal side, but geez. I don't drink, smoke or take drugs - can I not have one tiny vice of sometimes eating things that aren't good for me?

Susan, that sucks. You know what they say, if it's not on Strava...... Dinner ideas - I got nothing. I have been so uninspired lately. Last night we had leftovers since I had my 5k group during dinner making time.

Damaris, that makes sense. High BP can definitely be a factor/cause of migraines. Hope things get better and back to normal.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

CrazySue, maybe Strava just needed more coffee?

Damaris, maybe being in the office more is triggering something health-wise?

Karen, my DH thinks cholesterol numbers have been set artificially low so that drug companies can sell more medication.  I can neither prove nor disprove that theory.

I'm psyched about my hard workout yesterday (which Strava did record, apparently it was awake yesterday afternoon).  5 x 2 min hills, 5 min recovery, 10 x 1 min fast, 1 min recovery.  Usually I have hills or intervals, not both, but I got it done.  Virtual fist bump!  Easy 6 on he schedule today.  Work and other blah stuff otherwise.  Yesterday's RTO news: Seattle folks get to delay returning to the office because they haven't found any space yet.  But SF?  Good news, they scrounged up some space for us in Richmond and Oakland.  Yuck.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm not a sciencey person, but estrogen (really, the lack of) can have a role in rising cholesterol in women in the master's age groups. Just another absolute BS thing with aging. Mine jumped quite a bit recently to the borderline level as well. Annoying.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am apparently falling apart. In addition to the osteopenia and more imaging of my right boob, I also have borderline high cholesterol. Not surprising, as it's always been on the higher than normal side, but geez. I don't drink, smoke or take drugs - can I not have one tiny vice of sometimes eating things that aren't good for me?

Menopause is also not good for you. And can cause all of the above. Ugh.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris, maybe being in the office more is triggering something health-wise?

Could be, but I think it's more the change of seasons even daily. Winter/Spring./Summer/Winter. But it might be time to up the BP meds. After all, it is a degenerative disease. Thanks, mom.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

I went and found my previous blood test results (and am trying to figure out how to get that info transferred to my current doc) and these results were my second highest, but they've all been in the borderline high category. So I shouldn't have been surprised. I mean, my diet has been crap lately and I should do better, but I'm wondering how much diet can actually do and if I can just continue to hang out in the borderline high category. I think I inherited high cholesterol from my dad along with nearsightedness, a fear of heights, a hatred of coconut, and a love of reading. The bone density surprised me though. I come back this morning from my 8-mile run with 5 at tempo, then I see this bone strength fb page with these women posting videos of themselves dancing and calling that their workout. I feel like i need to start lifting heavy weights, and these women are swaying back and forth and thinking that's going to fix it? Old age is weird, but it beats the alternative.

Anyway, my run went well. It was supposed to be 3x2 miles tempo and I cut the last one short a mile because I just couldn't. But that was a pretty aggressive workout for the first tempo since I don't know, October probably, with all my various sicknesses. I would have been happy with one or two of the 2 mile efforts.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If it's genetics, nothing but medication will help. Like my high BP.

Damaris

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I'm on opposite end of BP spectrum. Mine is low. But I do have a terrible familial history of osteoporosis so I'm mindful of that! I do think though that cholesterol is genetic but you really shouldn't necessarily worry if it's stable? For example, when I passed out and they ran an enzyme test on something heart related I tested high. But when they tested it again it was the same number and doctor said that was likely MY base number and not to worry. So I wonder if cholesterol is similar? Just keep as close eye on it I suppose.

Anyway, I ran a speedy for me 5 miles today

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Half Crazy K 2.0

With cholesterol, you can get a coronary calcium scan/score. I'm not sure what this entails, a co-worker had told me about it. Basically, if the score is zero or low, you likely don't need meds. Higher=higher risk, so meds are recommended.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, cholesterol is complicated, especially for women. There is some recent research (no idea if corroborated) that meds might not help women as well as men. 

WHY ARE WE ALWAYS FUCKED OR COMPLICATED TO SOLVE?

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My BP was high all the way to the run. The run helped much more than the meds today, sigh. I have had two hot flashes this week (while sleeping) so hubby upped my estrogen for the first time in two years. Hoping it helps like it has before.

Damaris