Trail running query re: mosquitos (Read 641 times)

EDL

Heather and I were talking about the warnings not to use DEET on small kids, because of the risk of neurological damage.  Yay, chemicals! Tongue

I have been looking for effective non-Deet formulations.  Repel and Bite Blocker have been well-reviewed -- see here -- but I haven't been able to test 'em as they are hard to find in Canada.

flovesparko

Wondering how many it would take to carry me off.  Would some partially drain me of blood, first, then carry me off?  I think ours have been training with Trent's Flying Monkeys.

I honestly have never seen so many mosquitos in my life as I did during this afternoon's trail run.  They were swarming...I didn't even know mosquitos could swarm.  I thought they were flies until Heather and I stopped briefly (that was very short-lived) and they were ON us in seconds...*shudders*  It has been so wet here and we have a lot of marshy areas...perfect haven for the little blood-suckers.

Gotta get my hands on some DEET before the trail relay in 2 weeks.  BTW, does anyone know what bug repellant does to the Garmin?  I have a feeling it could eat at the plastic.

ZoomZoom,   I don't have experience with my garmin regarding bug repellant but I do with my IronMan sport watches,  bug sprays eats right through some of the plastic.  They look horrible.  Makes you wonder what it might be doing to us.   

Best Present Ever

Heather and I were talking about the warnings not to use DEET on small kids, because of the risk of neurological damage.  Yay, chemicals! Tongue

When I lived in Algeria, where DDT was fairly widely used (it's banned in the US, but not in lots of other places), I used to see butchers at the market spraying it directly on the meat to keep the flies off.    Makes a little DEET seem almost wholesome!

Should we combine this thread with the "lose weight to get faster" thread?

After all, mosquitos have got to be one of the fastest ways to lose weight...