Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

lansyd - 05/02/09 Rotora Marathon, NZ v02maxed - 05/02/09 Rotorua Marathon, NZ Outee - 05/04/09 Belfast, Belfast, IRE 3 RA'ers in the barrel this weekend (Plus Monday) How are you feeling?
    Thanks for thinking of me/us. I'm feeling a mix of excitement (thinking of the crowd), nervousness (thinking of the sub 3 goal), & fear (thinking of the pain). My final preparation was interrupted by a cold a few weeks ago, but I'm still hoping for the sub 3. I've played around A LOT with different pace strategies (there are a few hills to get through), but I've finally printed out my wrist band and I'm ready to go. It will be tough/hard, but in any case I'm looking forward to crossing the finish line, picking up my finishers medal, and getting a massage.

Running - cheaper than therapy

mikeymike

Training update & looking for some advice too from the sub-3hour crowd if you'd be so obliged Smile Well my planned 10mi calibration race on 04/19/2009 was the best DNS every as my first son was born! Big grin Unfortunately I had done a taper to that race and had to write a final exam that week, had little sleep due to the new bambino (getting better), and took a hit in the mileage as you can see from my log. I did a 7mi tempo run today at an avg. of 6:17/mi (although this is Garmin time) with the last 3 miles at ~6:10/mi. It felt awesome, but I did have the wind at my back (but as an out and back course I fought the wind the whole way out). This is the fastest I've done a tempo of this distance and was obviously due to my dip in mileage. I've also done 2 MP long runs of 15 and 16 miles at ~6:50/mi, 5 weeks and 2 weeks ago respectively. I've left these runs tired and happy to quit, but feeling like I could have done a bit more distance if I really had to. I regularly try to integrate MP into my long runs in some shape or form, normally for the final 5-10 miles. Anyhow, my goal race is 05/31/09, which leaves 5 weeks of training beginning this Sunday, of which I need to taper in. Does anyone have any input for me regarding how I should proceed given the dip in mileage I had over the last two weeks? Should I try and climb up to the high 70's/low80's again, increase my mileage for 3 more weeks, or keep things steady/lower and do more sharpening, etc.? ...and I'm obviously looking to try and run sub-3 come goal date. Thanks for any input anyone might give! And congratulations to all you recent sub-3 finishers!
      I would definitely try to get in 70-80 per week the next 2 weeks and then bring it down a little from there (assuming you can with a new baby in the house. Been there. 4 times.) There should be no real need to "build to" that mileage as you were handling it no problem until a couple weeks ago. I don't think you need to make any major changes, just jump back into what you were doing late March/early April--that was some marathon goodness. You'll be ready.

Runners run

flovesparko

Training update & looking for some advice too from the sub-3hour crowd if you'd be so obliged Smile Well my planned 10mi calibration race on 04/19/2009 was the best DNS every as my first son was born! Big grin Unfortunately I had done a taper to that race and had to write a final exam that week, had little sleep due to the new bambino (getting better), and took a hit in the mileage as you can see from my log. I did a 7mi tempo run today at an avg. of 6:17/mi (although this is Garmin time) with the last 3 miles at ~6:10/mi. It felt awesome, but I did have the wind at my back (but as an out and back course I fought the wind the whole way out). This is the fastest I've done a tempo of this distance and was obviously due to my dip in mileage. I've also done 2 MP long runs of 15 and 16 miles at ~6:50/mi, 5 weeks and 2 weeks ago respectively. I've left these runs tired and happy to quit, but feeling like I could have done a bit more distance if I really had to. I regularly try to integrate MP into my long runs in some shape or form, normally for the final 5-10 miles. Anyhow, my goal race is 05/31/09, which leaves 5 weeks of training beginning this Sunday, of which I need to taper in. Does anyone have any input for me regarding how I should proceed given the dip in mileage I had over the last two weeks? Should I try and climb up to the high 70's/low80's again, increase my mileage for 3 more weeks, or keep things steady/lower and do more sharpening, etc.? ...and I'm obviously looking to try and run sub-3 come goal date. Thanks for any input anyone might give! And congratulations to all you recent sub-3 finishers!
        Sparky, first off CONGRAT on becoming a Dad! I just had my first three months ago. After reveiwing your log, I noticed you already have big miles prior to the dip the last two weeks and with five weeks to go I say ramp your miles back up. Your body is used to it. You have plenty of time to taper. Your marathon pace runs are great but have you thought about doing some tempo runs. I may have missed them in your workout but they definitely help. I'm in a similiar situation with my sub three coming up in just over two weeks. What was going to be my biggest milage weeks, the last two weeks have become the lowest due to being sick. My body was just totally run down from lack of sleep (new baby), racing, training, and home projects. Since my body isn't used to big miles, I've decided to just go for speed in the last few weeks and hope that my legs hold up the last 6-8 miles. I plan on racing two 5K's this weekend. Racing has become my tempo runs this year. It you have been following this thread most people will tell you it's the miles that count and I believe it. It just hasn't work out for me so I have to try another way. I still hope that I will eventually be able to run high miles like you do. In my case, I'm going to need a great weather day to achieve my goal but I think with your milage you are going to have strong legs when your need them regardless of mother nature.

Are we there yet?

Can I race a 10K two weeks before my marathon?
          bhearn

Yes.
              Can I race a 10K two weeks before my marathon?
              I ran a 10k on 4.4.09 before Boston... Its a good test for the marathon.... However, just note that at any sign of pain/injury from running a fast race, bag it immediately... I'll let you know how running a HM 13 days after a marathon goes on Sunday... Roll eyes I'm not a "marathon maniac" like bhearn, might be a rough one....

Are we there yet?

I ran a 10k on 4.4.09 before Boston... Its a good test for the marathon.... However, just note that at any sign of pain/injury from running a fast race, bag it immediately... I'll let you know how running a HM 13 days after a marathon goes on Sunday... Roll eyes I'm not a "marathon maniac" like bhearn, might be a rough one....
                Thanks... BTW dcv2002, I looked back at your Garmin splits from Boston and I plan to use that as a road map for my upcoming marathon 5.24.09...1:27 - 1:28 then finish strong. Where or how do I create these bands with splits? I saw bhearn's a couple weeks ago and I've seen the pacetats.com but is there a homemade method besides a pen on my forearm?

Are we there yet?

Jim- are all your easy runs 8:00 and up?? This seems very slow to me, was that your technique when you hit 2:43??
                  bhearn

Where or how do I create these bands with splits? I saw bhearn's a couple weeks ago and I've seen the pacetats.com but is there a homemade method besides a pen on my forearm?
                    I made the splits in a spreadsheet, plugged them into a nice format in Illustrator, printed it out, and wrapped the whole thing up with clear packing tape.
                    bhearn

One more thing I did on my way to sub-3, that I don't think I've mentioned here, is get sports massages every week or two, generally on my off day after the long run. Not sure how much difference it made, but I think it helped. I found someone highly recommended, also a runner.
                        I'll let you know how running a HM 13 days after a marathon goes on Sunday...
                        I like the quote Jim24315 gave about resisting running fast for the number of miles raced previously (26), until that number of days has passed since that race. Be cautious is all I wish to add and good luck with that dvc2002.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I like the quote Jim24315 gave about resisting running fast for the number of miles raced previously (26), until that number of days has passed since that race. Be cautious is all I wish to add and good luck with that dvc2002.
                          I'm not expecting much... Probably not even a PR, but its a good race to run... We'll see how the legs feel on Sunday and I'll evaluate from there... No pressure to PR here though... I'll probably treat it as my first long run...

Are we there yet?

I made the splits in a spreadsheet, plugged them into a nice format in Illustrator, printed it out, and wrapped the whole thing up with clear packing tape.
                            Muchas Gracias bhearn... I found it from the link you posted before Boston.... http://www.hearn.to/paceband.pdf.... and I am well on my way to creating my own. Big grin
                              Jim- are all your easy runs 8:00 and up?? This seems very slow to me, was that your technique when you hit 2:43??
                              Jim- are all your easy runs 8:00 and up?? Almost all of them, and most a lot slower than that. My guess is that I’ve been averaging around 8:35 this year. For the last half of last year before I got hurt it was about 15-20 sec per mile faster, still pretty slow. This seems very slow to me, was that your technique when you hit 2:43?? Yes, as far as easy days go. I’ve always run them slower than what the “book” says, although probably not quite as slow as I have in recent years, even allowing for age-induced slowing. Fwiw, I would run them even slower if I could turn the clock back 20 years. The other primary changes would be to run a lot more mileage and not hammer so many workouts. My times past couple years are much better than what I ran then--at least on the grading scale they are. My feeling is that easy days are for hanging onto the fitness we’ve gained from our key workouts and races. For some of us weight control is also a primary benefit. If we do our long runs and key workouts on a regular basis, and put in decent overall mileage, I don’t think it matters a lick if we go slow on the in-between days. In fact, I believe it works better that way.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                                lansyd - 05/02/09 Rotora Marathon, NZ v02maxed - 05/02/09 Rotorua Marathon, NZ Outee - 05/04/09 Belfast, Belfast, IRE 3 RA'ers in the barrel this weekend (Plus Monday) How are you feeling?
                                Good luck guys. May the weather be fair and the day a success. Jim, to jump from a different thread, I'm thinking pretty seriously about doing Cowtown in early October. There's a lot to like. John
                                Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.