2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

DoppleBock

Is this a Wed-Wed trip?

You live in the UP - right?

My wife might kill me - So I will have to ask permission - But are you particular that is has to be the "Ice Age 50M" Ice Age trail?  I might consider something (Wife dependant) a bit closer.  If you are already in Milwaukee area - I understand why you would want the actual trail you are racing on.

Just a thought -

Heading off to the caribbean for a week recovery with the family.  Will make my reacquaintance with the demon rum, and run some short distances.  If anyone want to run long on Ice Age trail the saturday before Easter, let me know, I'll be there.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

PS - I am in a bit mired in the mud - 24 days out.  I had expected to have lost a bit more weight and be in my 2nd week of speed.  Instead I am still firmly in my run as many slow de-fatting miles as possible.  I have done no speed since early November.  I will likly hit 800+ slow miles this month = great for 24 hour racing - which is my primary goal.

So I am putting blind-ass trust in something I have not tried before.  I will not really have any speed work that will give me an indication I can break 3.  I will be trusting that when I actually am tapered and my weight is @ 205#  I will be able to pull it off.

This weekend is Mad City 50k - After that maybe I will add speed while I taper to Carmel Marathon.  Starting speed and starting taper at the same time - I find that humorous.

jjameson

Is this a Wed-Wed trip?

You live in the UP - right?

My wife might kill me - So I will have to ask permission - But are you particular that is has to be the "Ice Age 50M" Ice Age trail?  I might consider something (Wife dependant) a bit closer.  If you are already in Milwaukee area - I understand why you would want the actual trail you are racing on.

Just a thought -

DB  thurs-thurs trip out of Chicago.  Then I'll be at the inlaws in Jefferson, wi.  So I'll be looking to run (fairly) long for several reasons.  I don't want to run road, really, and the IAT is only about 20 minutes away (where it crosses HWY 12).  I'll probably head over saturday morning to get 25 miles in or so.  It's such a treat to run on the trail that I seize it whenever I go down there.  Open to other ideas, of course.  Might try to contact some of those Lapham Peak Runners also.

jjameson

My goal at Boston is sub 3.  You can add me to the list 2.5 weeks to go.

Hurt, good luck.  How has the training been going?

DoppleBock

Sounds reasonable and I agree - We always have our Finance conferences in Milwaukee ... I am always the wet blanket that skips dinner and drinks and drives out to IA50M trail to do a long run in the dark.

This year we are doing a Brewers game - I really do not care for baseball and I will not be drinking (mid-May) - So it will make for a long night.  But is is a Corporate driven "Big" event that I am smart enough to know I have to be there and "Enjoy" myself.

DB  thurs-thurs trip out of Chicago.  Then I'll be at the inlaws in Jefferson, wi.  So I'll be looking to run (fairly) long for several reasons.  I don't want to run road, really, and the IAT is only about 20 minutes away (where it crosses HWY 12).  I'll probably head over saturday morning to get 25 miles in or so.  It's such a treat to run on the trail that I seize it whenever I go down there.  Open to other ideas, of course.  Might try to contact some of those Lapham Peak Runners also.

I'd love to, but have exceeded my quota this spring for drive 1.5 hours to the trail, run for 5 hours than drive back.  Like DB, DW will kill me for even asking...  Enjoy!

Hurt, good luck.  How has the training been going?

It has been going very well.  This is easily the best preparation I've had for a Marathon, most miles, best speed work, and my races are faster than they were 10 years ago.

Personal bests in the last 4 weeks.

1/2 Marathon 1:23:54 - 6:25

20 miles 2:13:45 - 6:41

I'm confident I can get it if I get a reasonable day, and I don't get over excited and go out at 6:30.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It has been going very well.  This is easily the best preparation I've had for a Marathon, most miles, best speed work, and my races are faster than they were 10 years ago.

Personal bests in the last 4 weeks.

1/2 Marathon 1:23:54 - 6:25

20 miles 2:13:45 - 6:41

I'm confident I can get it if I get a reasonable day, and I don't get over excited and go out at 6:30.

wow, that looks really strong.  Glad you've put yourself in such a good position to nail this.  Best of luck, Hurt!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Guess I'm next one up, one week to go!

I'm happy with how my training has been going. Peaked at two 70+ mile weeks and 300 miles in March which is pretty high for me. Managed a half marathon pb (1:19:45) as well as a 10k pb (36:39) during the build-up. I'm definitely in better shape than my last marathon in October 2010 (3:09) and sub3 should be doable.

I'm not quite sure what specific time to aim for really. I'm thinking about going out in something like 1:28 for the half and see if I can bring home a 2:55 if all goes well and still do sub3 if I fade slightly. I know I am being quite conservative when looking at my times for shorter distances, but I haven't exactly proven yet that I have the endurance to race the marathon.

Hope all you Boston folks are feeling good about your upcoming race!

DoppleBock

1/2M is a sweet time - You housl kill sub 3 - But I think taking it in nice chuncks is smart - Run as smooth and relaxed as possible.  1:27-1:28 is well within your ability.  Stay calm and patient and if you are feeling it - Pick it up at mile 20-22. 

Have a great race - You have done all the work - This is your victory lap!

I'm happy with how my training has been going. Peaked at two 70+ mile weeks and 300 miles in March which is pretty high for me. Managed a half marathon pb (1:19:45) as well as a 10k pb (36:39) during the build-up. I'm definitely in better shape than my last marathon in October 2010 (3:09) and sub3 should be doable.

I'm not quite sure what specific time to aim for really. I'm thinking about going out in something like 1:28 for the half and see if I can bring home a 2:55 if all goes well and still do sub3 if I fade slightly. I know I am being quite conservative when looking at my times for shorter distances, but I haven't exactly proven yet that I have the endurance to race the marathon.

You ran a 1:19 half and you think of maybe foing for sub-2:55? With those time I'd be looking to run around 2:45...

Boston is looking less and less likely to be a sub-3 attempt for me. Definitely not a PR attempt. I believe I'm in sub-3 shape right now, maybe even a shot at sub-2:55 if the stars aligned weather wise, but doesn't look to be happening. Not going to kill myself if it's warm. Did that once back in Chicago 08 and it was no fun at all....

kcam

Hat trick for you!

For a guy who just ran a 1:19 1/2 saying a sub-3 should be "doable" is quite an understatement   If you really do hold yourself to 1:28 you will be flying in the second half with a huge smile on your face!  Be careful not to knock anyone over as you pass them!  Enjoy and best of luck.

You ran a 1:19 half and you think of maybe foing for sub-2:55? With those time I'd be looking to run around 2:45...

My PBs are almost exactly the same - 1:19 half, 36:33 10K (during said half), 17:14 5K.

I think I'm in better shape now than I was for any of my PBs, but I'm doing exactly the same thing... Going for sub-3, probably pacing for 2:55 and hoping I get it. I realize that I could probably go a little faster, but everyone says to respect the distance, so I'm being conservative.

My ½ PB isn't new though, it's from Sept 2009.

DoppleBock

Good luck to you too Viich!

Similar PR and similar goals - A significant training mileage difference: Chrbech Dec - Mar = 963 (240/ mo),  Viich Dec - Mar = 375 (94/ mo)

I think Viich it is very doable - just a little less margin for error because of your lower mileage.

My PBs are almost exactly the same - 1:19 half, 36:33 10K (during said half), 17:14 5K.

I think I'm in better shape now than I was for any of my PBs, but I'm doing exactly the same thing... Going for sub-3, probably pacing for 2:55 and hoping I get it. I realize that I could probably go a little faster, but everyone says to respect the distance, so I'm being conservative.

My ½ PB isn't new though, it's from Sept 2009.

Similar PR and similar goals - A significant training mileage difference: Chrbech Dec - Mar = 963 (240/ mo),  Viich Dec - Mar = 375 (94/ mo)

Yes, mileage has been my primary focus during the last months. I've always had plenty of speed but never enough mileage to run a good marathon. Hopefully this time, I'll be able to close a bit of that gap.

Screen name 1 - I know I am being very conservative, but 2:45 is just crazy talk for me with a current pb of 3:09. I'm happy to take it in chunks as DB also suggested. Let's see in a year's time, maybe I'm ready to listen to you then Smile

Viich, best of luck. What's your take on the mileage?