Running and Spirituality (Read 1233 times)

Of course now that The Bible is on CD, I've got it on my ipod and lisen to The Bible on my runs.
    Alexander Scourby? I got the dramatized Alexander Scourby KJV reading on cd, which is definitely a classic. I find it harder to listen to when on runs. Sermons seem to be a little bit easier to digest (I do Coral Ridge, In Touch and Ed Young... the younger one).

Vim

evtish

That has to be one of the funnier Van Halen tracks... ahhh yeahh...yeahheaheahwooowooyeahheayahhea, woooo ahhyeahhaha one more time, or whatever he says... Big grin
      I live my life like there's no tomorrow All I have, I had to steal Least I don't need to beg or borrow I'm living at a pace that kills Great lyrics stick in your mind for years and years! Now I have to pull out my old dusty Van Halen cassettes cause this song is now stuck in my mind.
      clindsey

In the last six miles of a marathon, I often quote the runner's prayer: "Dear Lord. If you will pick 'em up I can put 'em down" Smile Charlie
          For me running is a spiritual experience when I do it alone. I try to clear my mind and be present in the activity of running. I see what is around me. I smell the smells. I hear the sounds. I sense the living world around me and my movement through it without naming it. I feel the interconnectedness of everything. In those moments of I sometimes can feel the presence and am at one with it. Running requires concentration sometimes (when you are running intensely or for a long time)... which forces you to concentrate on what you are doing. So great becomes the level of concentration that the mental chatter becomes nonexistant. Running for me is an easy way to achieve mental stillness. Within that mental stillness I am able to connect with God.

Life is Good

I listen to a variety of music when I run but I also like to down load pod cast of sermons to listen to..some of the bigger preachers you have to pay for but most are free and you can find almost everyone out there..James Dobson,and Charles Stanley are some of my favorites. once you subscribe to the pod cast they will send you a different sermon or story to upload daily if you want them too.

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

A Saucy Wench

I find nothing connects me spiritually better than running. I run in ther country..especially as the sun is coming up and really SEE the beauty of the world. I'm pretty slow so I have plenty of time to watch the scenery and feel grateful that I have a beautiful world, a strong body, a good family and the luxury to appreciate it Whatever spirituality means to you, there is plenty of time to pray, meditate, reflect, appreciate, and give thanks on a long run

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I remember a time when these forums were about Running.
                I don't know about you, but in order to access these forums, I click on a tab labeled "community". I see the forums as a place where the members of a running community can exchange ideas. Just as we discuss the link between running and nutrition, we might discuss running and spirituality.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

JakeKnight

I remember a time when these forums were about Running.
                  I remember that. Vaguely. But now I learn about garlic, Van Halen, oil spills, global warming, and organic tofu. So it's almost as good. And much more helpful when watching Jeopardy.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

I would strongly recommend the book Running the Spiritual Path by Roger Joslin. Roger is an Episcopal priest who uses his running as a method of contemplative prayer. Here's some more info. http://www.gracecathedral.org/av/interviews/int_20030827.shtml
                    Good call... I'd also recommend Warren Kay's book, RUNNING - The Sacred Art: Preparing to Practice

Falling is easy, it's getting back up that becomes the problem ~Staind