Stretching and Evening vs Morning Runs (Read 1088 times)

SMART Approach

Abosultely correct. Active stretching before the run, passive after. I tend to need both or I wind up a dinged a tad. Also, stretching helps with greater stride efficeincy, etc. so that's a good thing. Anything to help range of motion (w/ in limits, not sure I'd say being a pretzel is good for running either) and core stability is #1.
    I do stride stretches a lot (lunge position) and lunges (which BTW is an excellent dynamic movement and also add a side twist to side of foot that is ahead). Just don't do high volume. Just awesome for stride length and stride efficiency. I occasionally run with some buddies who do no stretching. They cannot get their knee anywhere near the ground w/ knee above toe in that stride stretch. My other buddie who is now in his 50s who runs quite a bit is repeatedly having injuries/hip flexor issues/butt/hammys and he has never stretched in past. He never had problems in 20's, 30s, 40s but now is locked up. It catches up to you not only for running but even more so with real life activities like bending over and picking something up, lifting, twisting etc. Much more suceptible to tweaks/pulls.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Regarding AM vs. PM. Studies have shown that it's better to run in the morning with lower temps and higher humidity rather than the evening with higher temps and lower humidity. By "better" they mean you sweat less which is important because that means your heart can work more to provide blood to your muscles instead of bringing it to the skin to try and cool it. Apparently sweating has more to do with water vapor pressure in the atmosphere and it's lower in the morning. I dunno. I'm not a morning person and I say run when you want to run.
      2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly