Advice from Sports Trainer: do you agree? (Read 837 times)

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Yesterday I visited a local sports trainer for a deep-tissue massage in preparation for a HM this weekend. This guy is semi-retired and works out of his garage mostly treating local high school athletes, although his resume is impressive, having worked with many professional athletes including the local pro football teams. He came highly recommended from a friend who had problems with triathlon training in the past. Anyway, after the massage I mentioned that I was going for a run and he asked "on what type of surface?" When I answered "concrete" that started him on a tirade, where he was basically yelling at me for not following these training guidelines: 1) no running on pavement. He claimed that compared to running on grass or a track, pavement is twice as damaging to your legs, so you can only run half as many miles if run on hard surfaces. 2) lengthen your stride. A longer stride results in more contact between your foot and the ground, distributing the force better. And the reduced cadence means fewer impacts over the course of a run. 3) do not run more than 20 miles per week. Supplement run training with cross-training such as water-running. His proof is that a 44-year old woman client of his has won many half marathons in the masters division, typically in the 1:25 range, and never runs more than 20 miles per week training for these events. #1 did not surprise me, but his over-reaction did: He said don't bother coming back for another treatment unless I stop running on pavement altogether, or otherwise he can't help me. #2 is contrary to a lot of stuff I heard and read about running form (at least for long-distance runners). I always thought shorter stride and higher cadence was the better form. He said whoever said that is an idiot. #3 kinda makes sense, but was surprising because of how many runners easily double that weekly mileage with no adverse effects. And every training program advocates much more mileage in preparation of a HM, particularly for faster performance. I've learned that when it comes to running advice, you have to be prepared to hear a wide spectrum of opinions, and in the end you have to figure out what works for you. But what are your opinions to the advice I received last night?

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

First off, I hate anyone with one-size fits-all advice. There are no absolutes. RE: pavement, the less the better, but you can be smart about it. For several weeks, I kept myself from doing no more than 2 days in a row of pavement... I couldn't do that for the past two weeks, and now I have aches. So, yes, pavement is worse, but you CAN get used to it, and many people run only on pavement. Re: stride length - longer stride length is frequently blamed for injuries. I think he's dead wrong on that and would cause me to question anything else he said. Re: cross-training. It all comes down to goals, time, ability and desires. And also age -- the older you get, the more higher mileage can become more of a concern. Then again, if you've been an injury-free runner for most of your life, this might not be true, either.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

First off, I hate anyone with one-size fits-all advice. There are no absolutes. .
        Ditto this and everything else you said. There are a lot of people out there with opinions. If you ask my wife she will tell you that any running more then 10 minutes per day 3 days a week is overkill and that everyone should walk so they dont get hurt and you can still burn the calories........ Although there is a lot of truth to what she says and really believes, I dont think its great advice for 'RUNNERS'...... I think you have to belive what YOU belive and make it so.... -How do you avoid running on the pavement and get in any real distance?? -Lengthen your stride - and probably get hurt - I know that I get hurt when I do so.... -Not ever more then 20 miles per week - sounds good but how many really good runners run only 20? - Cross training ---- probably so but the only thing I can really do reasonable well is run...dont like to swim, dont like to bike and anything else........just doesnt work for me all that well (exception a few weights from time to time) Think this like most running advice must be taken with a grain of salt and you should do what YOU think is best and works for you.... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Why is it sideways?

He's an idiot.

A Saucy Wench

#1 - yeah and when you find marathons and HM's on soft surfaces let me know. You run on pavement the body adjusts. You train on tracks or soft 100% and then go run a HM or Marathon on pavement and owwie. I prefer to finish HM's feeling like I can run the next day. #2 - he disagrees with virtually everyone else on the planet I think. But the world IS full of idiots. #3- hmmm. where is that list of running myths that was floating around a while ago? Something about running being bad for you?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

All I know is that I'm running only 20 miles a week now, coming off an injury, and it's driving me NUTS! 20 miles is nothing. I can't wait to get back to at least 30!

The Greatest of All Time

He's an idiot.
                I second that. FWIW, my orthopedist told me that the rate of running related injuries increases sharply once you hit 40 mpw. He treats a ton of athletes so I have to give that statment some deference. But, it won't deter me. Not yet anyway.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Prince of Fatness

#1 Honestly I don't notice much of a difference. Maybe if you were running barefoot you would. #2 My hamstrings do not agree with him. #3 Maybe so, but I see too many people here in RA alone running lots of miles without a problem to think that high mileage is worse for you. In fact, I remember quite a few comments from folks who said that their aches and pains went away when they increased mileage. In his defense he deals mostly with runners who are hurting, and is making broad assumptions base on what he is seeing. Modified to fix backward writing.

Not at it at all. 

protoplasm72

I wouldn't take advice from old an guy that spends his day massaging underage high school kids in his garage.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I wouldn't take advice from old an guy that spends his day massaging underage high school kids in his garage.
                      Hilarious!

Feeling the growl again

+1, idiot. Lengthening the stride requires you to spend more time off the ground, which physics dictates requires a greater vertical displacement, ie bounce. So you land with GREATER force when you come back to earth and put GREATER stress on your muscles and joints. 20mpw, obviously the guy is not a runner. I know a single talented runner (once defeated Bill Rodgers) who could run a 15:30 5K on 20 mpw. But he's the only one. I run half the mileage I used to and my times are less than half as impressive!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Wow. Interesting advice. Does he run himself or only advises based on hearsay? Also, using one HM runner with 20 mpw schedule as a guideline seems goofy at best and disingenuous at worst. Based on his hypotheses, I should be a walking nightmare since I run on concrete, more than 40 mpw and in flats no less. The long stride thing seems dumb to me but others here are more the expert and it seems they don't think much for it. If he provides good treatment then keep seeing him and let that advice go in one ear and out the other. Sounds like a guy looking for an argument and you won't change his mind since obviously it is based on massive statistically valid points. Tongue Good luck and keep listening to the RA expert group. They've been there and done that and might know a thing or two to help.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

He's not a runner himself, and I'm always hesitant to follow non-runners' advice. I've been following the advice and training plan from my podiatrist, who is a former marathoner that ran 70+ mpw in his day, and so far hasn't steered me wrong. Thanks to everyone for the re-assurance that this guy's advice is a little nutty. Maybe he was trying to scare me away from future appointments so we would have more time to massage the underage high school kids... Wink

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Maggie & Molly

I don't know too much about # 2 and # 3 but # 1 - concrete is sidewalks, pavement is streets. Streets have recycled tire tread in them so whether we know it or not there is a bit of give (just a bit!!!). Concrete is by far the worst thing to run on but you run where you can. (DH is a tire recycle guy ;-) ) of course when you run on the street you tend to run on a slant because of the grade of the road - oh the dilemas.....

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Half Fanatic #846

1. WRONG Shocked 2. WRONG Surprised 3. WRONG Roll eyes

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!