Ice Grippers (Read 1444 times)

Giant

I want to buy some ice grippers for my sneakers since there is a lot of snow and ice on the sidewalks and roads and I want to keep running outside. Does anyone have suggestions on the brand/type to buy??
    mikeymike

Srew Shoes. Every winter, around the first snowfall, I say, "This is the year I'm going to make me some screw shoes." Usually this is while I'm out for a run in my regular shoes and I'm slipping and sliding all over and I say, "Yessir, I'm going to the hardware store and getting me some sheet metal screws tonight!" And then I get busy and I forget and I never do it. And then the snow melts and I'm running on pavement again and, while I'm cold, my footing is okay and so I don't think about it anymore. Until the next storm of the season when I say, "That's really it this time, I'm doing it." And then the snow melts again before I get around to it. Until the next storm when, well, you get the idea. But this time I'm really gonna do it. Really.

Runners run

Gotta TRI

Srew Shoes. Every winter, around the first snowfall, I say, "This is the year I'm going to make me some screw shoes." Usually this is while I'm out for a run in my regular shoes and I'm slipping and sliding all over and I say, "Yessir, I'm going to the hardware store and getting me some sheet metal screws tonight!" And then I get busy and I forget and I never do it. And then the snow melts and I'm running on pavement again and, while I'm cold, my footing is okay and so I don't think about it anymore. Until the next storm of the season when I say, "That's really it this time, I'm doing it." And then the snow melts again before I get around to it. Until the next storm when, well, you get the idea. But this time I'm really gonna do it. Really.
        I just did this to my old running shoes and have to say they are not too bad for running on ice and hardpack. I used 6 X 3/8 hex head sheet metal screws. I have 14 in each shoe. Had heard of this before, but last months runners world brought it up again ( with directions ) so I did it.
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a HUGE fan of YakTrax. There's no way I'd maintain 2 hour runs without them. I think I'd top out at 1 hour and likely experience regular falls. They are great on ice and offer extra traction on snow, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

If I could find a route that was 100% snow packed or snow covered the Screw Shoes or Yaks would work great. The problem I find is that my routes are rarely all snow covered. So far my best option has been the screw shoe. They work great except when you do get on a hard surface then they really feel weird. They do provide good traction and work best on snow packed roads. I have only ran in them twice this year and that is with 23" of snow fall so far this month. There have been a couple of runs that I was wishing I had worn them.
            xor

So far my best option has been the screw screw.
              I'm too nervous and sad to figure out my typical smartass addition to the chunk of (simply fatfingered) text. But I do see potential, yes I do. My friends got through our recent Snow from Hell via screws. They all made them based on the same link mikey provided. Big thumbs up from them.

Slo

If I could find a route that was 100% snow packed or snow covered the Screw Shoes or Yaks would work great. The problem I find is that my routes are rarely all snow covered. So far my best option has been the screw shoe. They work great except when you do get on a hard surface then they really feel weird. They do provide good traction and work best on snow packed roads. I have only ran in them twice this year and that is with 23" of snow fall so far this month. There have been a couple of runs that I was wishing I had worn them.
                What fat finger mistake ?
                  For generic firm snow and ice, I like the screw shoes. For mostly ice, I prefer something like the ice jogger or similar strap-on device. I've seen them as cheap as $8 in Target this month, but our grocery stores usually carry them also. For deeper snows, I might go wth a stabiliicer product or running snowshoes. I run mostly on trails, so the running snowshoes work fine. We're cold enough now that the packed snow of roads is easy to run on with regular trail shoe. Here's my thoughts on various types. http://home.att.net/%7Eakrunning/TractionDev/index.html
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

For Mikey (and others who've been waiting for one):

Right on Hereford...

Here are some options: Icebug running shoes ($125-150, http://www.rei.com/product/758941) I've heard great things about these, but they're expensive. Made in Sweden, they are real running shoes with tiny carbide (read, super-hard) spikes. "Spikes actively retract into outsole lugs on hard surfaces and protrude on soft terrain; mixed surfaces combine these two actions for solid traction." Yak Trax ($25, http://www.yaktrax.com/) Pull-on stretchy traction devices that go over your existing running shoes. Ok for running on snow-packed roads, not good on dry surfaces or solid ice, REALLY not good on mountain trails (they break and come off your shoes). Note: these are the only traction devices that I have actually used, myself, lol. La Sportiva Hobnails ($40, http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/441) Like do-it-yourself screw shoes, but they are easier to install and don't tend to work themselves loose. Also much more expensive. Heard good things about them on the Boulder Trailrunners list recently. Do-it-yourself Screw Shoes ($0.38, http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm) As Mikey said. Also, here is an excellent article on winter traction devices: http://www.mountainrunning.com/features/february_08/index.html Good luck!

"run" "2" "eat"

Screw Shoes
                        yeh!! screw shoes - run barefoot! yipee-ki-yay!!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Lazy idiot

sneaky...

Tick tock

La Sportiva Hobnails ($40, http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/441) Like do-it-yourself screw shoes, but they are easier to install and don't tend to work themselves loose. Also much more expensive. Heard good things about them on the Boulder Trailrunners list recently.
                            That was an interesting thread on the BTR list. I'd like to try a set of those one of these days... I'll put in another yes vote for screw shoes. Put some glue on the threads and they don't work out as easily. Super cheap, a box of 100 #6 3/8" sheet metal screws cost me $2.13 w/ tax at the local hardware store last week. I usually use: Intermittent snow/ice, rolling to flat terrain: YakTrax Pro Constant snow/ice, rolling to flat terrain: Screw Shoes Constant or intermittent snow/ice, very steep mountainous trails/terrain: Kahtolla KTS aluminum running crampons Dakota RR: You should come out to my BTR Night Run one of these weeks Big grin - Chris
                              Oh man I remember my dad got some kind of ice grippers and I was running laps across a frozen pond...ON the pond.
                              2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.