Sore hips... (Read 5234 times)

Giant

I was running yesterday, when at about 30min into my run, my hips started to hurt. I have good sneakers, it was calm and mild. So it wasn't the shoes. Does this happen to anyone here. I ran 10km, which is the longest i've ever run.

Future running partner.

I get sore hips for 2 reasons. Either my core (stomach, back muscles) have an imbalance or my running shoes are worn down. When I started doing some crunches, body curls and planks my hip soreness would go away. When the soles of my shoes start to wear down to the mid sole ( for me it's on the outside heel edge) I get new shoes. Shoes only last anywhere from 250 to 500 miles before they need replaced.

#artbydmcbride

Sometimes when your IT band (along the outside of your thigh) gets tight, it can hurt at the hip attachment site. Rolling the side of your upper leg on a foam roller can gently stretch this area and help relieve the pain.

Runners run

My hips will be sore the day after I increase my mileage or go for a run after awhile off. Doesn't usually last longer than a day, I have always chalked it up to my body just getting used to the extra pounding on the joints.
          2009 Goals:
          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
          Run a 10K
          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
          Complete my first Sprint Tri

Forever Learning

I ran 10km, which is the longest i've ever run.
            Re-read what you wrote (noting the bold I added for emphasis) and you will understand why this isn't anything to be concerned about at this point.
            erendis

try some IT band stretches- they feel great and usually help me out with the hip pain. http://www.howtostretch.com/iliotibi.htm
              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                I was running yesterday, when at about 30min into my run, my hips started to hurt. I have good sneakers, it was calm and mild. So it wasn't the shoes. Does this happen to anyone here. I ran 10km, which is the longest i've ever run.
                I was on a 9 miler one day and by 6 my hips were hurting. Funny thing was that if I pulled my water belt away from my body the pain would pretty much go away. I was using a Nathan belt that was stretchy and had velcro closure; only my third run with that belt and I believe it was too low and too tight. It took a long time bor the paint to finally go away but I now use a non-stretchy belt with a clip so there is no pressure placed on my hip. I really believe the belt held my muscles too tight against the bursa and caused the inflamation in my hip. I now run ten miles on the weekends with no more problems. I highly recommend NOT to use the stretchy belts!
                Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
                finney

Resident pinniped

It's probably just the increase in distance. Try some Figure 4 stretches to loosen things up a little: sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor. Take one ankle and rest it on the opposite knee. Push down knee of the leg that's off the floor. You should feel a stretch in your outer hip, your butt, and maybe a bit in your low back if things are really tight.
                    Are you running on snow and ice? The added stress of uneven footing could bring on hip pain. My hips are sore are I trudged through a long run in the snow and ice yesterday.

Ryan

325th place or bust!

I was on a 9 miler one day and by 6 my hips were hurting. Funny thing was that if I pulled my water belt away from my body the pain would pretty much go away. I was using a Nathan belt that was stretchy and had velcro closure; only my third run with that belt and I believe it was too low and too tight. It took a long time bor the paint to finally go away but I now use a non-stretchy belt with a clip so there is no pressure placed on my hip. I really believe the belt held my muscles too tight against the bursa and caused the inflamation in my hip. I now run ten miles on the weekends with no more problems. I highly recommend NOT to use the stretchy belts!
                      That's interesting - I just recently started having some IT band issues after getting my distance up, and on those long runs I've been using a fuel belt which I had to keep really tight around the hips to keep in place. Both hips have been sore after that... I'll have to think about not using it next time I start running long again.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

That's interesting - I just recently started having some IT band issues after getting my distance up, and on those long runs I've been using a fuel belt which I had to keep really tight around the hips to keep in place. Both hips have been sore after that... I'll have to think about not using it next time I start running long again.
                        Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. I ran it past a buddy of mine that runs ultras and he initially thought I was nuts. But then after I researched bursitis and talked with him again he has become a believer. If I were 25 I might have said no too but at 47 stuff starts to work a little less good. The fact that I could pull the belt away and the pain would subside should have really told me but I was not listening, I HAD to finish that 9 miles (which I did in lots of pain). Go get yourself a GoLite HydroSpeed belt from zombierunner dot com and you will be better off. While you are there get yourself some Sole double wall socks, they are the best ever! I got a blister wearing some good running socks one day and ordered the Soles that night. I ran three days later when they came in and have not had any problems since. I buddy of mine runs ultras and has no blister problems either. See ya! Sam
                        Sam Edmond, Oklahoma 2009 Goals: 1. 1/2 Marathon (DONE Jan 2) 2. Hike to the top of Horn Peak, CO (13,450 ft) in July 3. Run a full marathon by the end of 2009 4. Keep running and no significant injuries 5. Run at least 1500 miles for the year 6. Play more golf with a stroke average in the 70's
                        Callalily

Re-read what you wrote (noting the bold I added for emphasis) and you will understand why this isn't anything to be concerned about at this point.
                          I totally agree that it isn't anything to be concerned about and may be related to going a longer distance the first time. When I ran 10 miles in preparation for a half-marathon and then ran the HM, my hips hurt during both runs. At shorter distances, I'm fine.

HappyDuck

I have the same problem on my long runs. I just chatted with my doctor (also a runner) and he said it was from overuse of the joint. I just laughed, what does "overuse" mean when your training!! Big grin I just tried to stretch more and that helped a little as does one day off after a long run, sometimes it is so bad two days off are needed. Maybe mine is old ageDead
                            Somewhere someone out there is training when your not and when you race him, he will beat you!