Race Volunteering++ (Read 960 times)

Nope, I'm not injured. But I got an email from the Dallas Running Club for the June race and decided to volunteer so as to help pay back those nice people who gave up their mornings to make the few races I've done enjoyable. I always make sure to thank the volunteers at races but I didn't feel that was quite enough. So I got the email with my assignment - turns out I was assigned to be a Tag Spindler. I had no idea what this meant so I got up a little early yesterday and headed over to the race. It was nice not having to worry about racing/running details. I also used this opportunity to get the kids involved - so I woke them up early and tossed them in the car too. We got to the race about an hour early and found the race director. She asked if I was the tag spindler. I laughed and said I guess so. Apparently this is something done at the finish line, so I got a very fun job of cutting up flower trays until the race started. This involves using very dull scissors to cut plastic flower trays apart. I think I need to do a three month hand strength exercise program before my next volunteer assignment. I wonder if Hal Higdon has a program for this? Oh, by the way, this race was the DRC Bloomin' 4 Mile Race and the flowers were to hand out to all the female finishers after the race. So we finally got all the flowers cut apart and race time was nearing - so the other Tag Spindler, a Tag Puller, and I headed down the muddy hill to the start/finish line. When we got there, the guy in charge of the clock explained to us what tag pullers and tag spindlers do. It turned out to be a lot less difficult than cutting flower trays apart. Apparently, Tag Pullers pull tags (hey, that makes sense) and Tag Spindlers put the tags on spindles. Turns out, I must be an advanced life form, because I ended up multitasking and doing both jobs when it got busy (shh don't tell anyone - I'm sure someone in the Tag Pullers union would get very upset if they heard). I enlisted my two kids to hand out water bottles to runners as they came out of the chute. The runners were appreciative and the kids were glad to have a job to do. Out of the 300 or so runners - I got 299 thank yous and 1 "I'm about to barf all over you / thank you combo" (from the 2nd place male). I knew us runners were a great group of folks anyway, but I was impressed how many people take the time to say "thanks". It's not why I signed up, but it certainly went a long way to making me willing to do it again. It only took a couple hours of my time and I'm very glad we did it. It gave me a little more appreciation for all the work that goes on behind the scenes at races. Not only that, I now have a better understanding of how non-chipped time races work. So I hope everyone takes the time to volunteer at a race, at least once! You'll be glad you did. So in other news, my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter, after their water bottle handing out duties were over, signed up for the kids 1K fun run. I was helping clean up and what not so I didn't get to see them finish, but we met back up at the awards ceremony and low and behold, my daughter got a 3rd place age group trophy and my son got a 2nd place age group trophy. I was very proud of them - they both talked all the way home about getting faster so they could win a 1st place trophy next time. A very nice ending to an already awesome day. MTA: by the way, I ended up getting a sweet technical running shirt that our club gives to the volunteers. Nice.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So in other news, my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter, after their water bottle handing out duties were over, signed up for the kids 1K fun run. I was helping clean up and what not so I didn't get to see them finish, but we met back up at the awards ceremony and low and behold, my daughter got a 3rd place age group trophy and my son got a 2nd place age group trophy. I was very proud of them - they both talked all the way home about getting faster so they could win a 1st place trophy next time. A very nice ending to an already awesome day.
      That's the BEST part! How cool! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Very cool. Sounds like you made a wonderful day for yourself, your family and everyone at the race! What a nice way to spend the day and what a reward knowing that you helped so much. Congrats to your kids too! Thanks for sharing- very uplifting!

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks for volunteering! Glad to hear your runners were so appreciative. Also VERY glad to see you getting your kids involved in volunteering/running. What club? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Good to hear someone giving back. "I must be an advanced life form" If you don't watch out, you might be the host of one of these races. "I'm about to barf all over you / thank you combo" Maybe you should consider wearing a pancho next time. "my daughter got a 3rd place age group trophy and my son got a 2nd place age group trophy." Congrats! Give them a couple TX sized high fives for me... it's good to get them started early... What is the deal with the Max Headrom picture?

Vim

madness baby

That's great. We should all volunteer to see the other side of things. It's great that everyone was so appreciative of all your family's help. Smile
              deb
                Thanks, everyone. Lynn: It's the Dallas Running Club. Modal: I'll seriously consider a pancho for next time, but there is no way I would be a race director. I mean I'm glad someone does it, but our race director looked stressed out and I don't want to associate my running with stress. I'm happy being a "Tag Spindler". Maybe next time I will get promoted to "Aid Station Water Hander Outer". I'll pass on the high fives. And m-m-m-Max Headroom? Just needed a change. I gotta keep up with Jeff and Zoomie ya know. Oh yeah - and I found a Saturday marathon for you....it's a little farther of a drive for you than Dallas....Marathon 2 Marathon. Yes, I'm hounding you again, but you asked for it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

m2m ==> Illegal Aliens, Tarantulas and Mountain Lions!!! Cool I’d honestly be worried about the drive back. Thankfully there is cruise control, but still. Yes, I need the hounding. I need to find someone to hound me to get my PE license (Professional Engineering... not Physical Exam/Education)

Vim

that is awesome- and glad the children got involved in the volunteering and the racing. Sounds like you may have some speedsters in the making.
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com