Salt Craving? (Read 887 times)

Ok, I've been on a salty food binge lately. Wife is going to lock up any chips we have in the house. I'm doing 25-30 mpw and just did a HM. For the past couple of months, I've been devouring any salty foods I can get my hands on. I thought it was just hunger but a few Kashi crackers and hummus doesn't do a thing to blunt it and I'm not interested in sweets. It has to be chips (potato, tortilla, frito's). Anyone else experience this? I'm really not a pig...usually. I'm considering taking a salt tablet after I run. I drink a few ounces of Gatorade after a run but mostly stick to water. I drink 3-4 cans of Diet Coke (yeah, I know all about the chemicals) and water the rest of the day. Thanks in advance. Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Yes. I would just go with it. I think our bodies do a decent job of letting us know what they need.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes. I would just go with it. I think our bodies do a decent job of letting us know what they need.
        +1. I love salty foods. Salt and vinegar chips, fries, pretzels, whatever. And my BP is usually around 110/70. I read recently that if you don't have hypertension then salt is not a threat to your health. Of course I'm not a doctor. I agree with Bonkin, in general you will crave what you need. This does not apply to crack or meth, however.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ok. Thanks. I'll start slow, maybe one every couple of days. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For about a solid month before taper (and then during) I craved chocolate like there was no tomorrow. Which is kinda odd, since I'm not a chocoholic and rarely actually crave it. Post race I have no chocolate cravings.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'm doing 25-30 mpw and just did a HM. For the past couple of months, I've been devouring any salty foods I can get my hands on. I thought it was just hunger but a few Kashi crackers and hummus doesn't do a thing to blunt it and I'm not interested in sweets. It has to be chips (potato, tortilla, frito's). Anyone else experience this?
              I'm experiencing the exact same thing (and I'm doing similar mileage and just did a HM), and my partner has hidden all the chips in the house. Others gave the best advice, which is trust your body. If it craves salt, I'll give it salt. I'm trying to stay away from those crack and meth urges...

Chris
              PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Ok, now to choose my poison. Straight salt tablets or electrolyte replacements like Succeed or similar? Thanks for weighing in! TC

Ok, now to choose my poison. Straight salt tablets or electrolyte replacements like Succeed or similar? Thanks for weighing in! TC
                  I've never used salt tablets, but I like the Succeed caps for long runs (3+ hours), marathons, etc. I'll take 1 cap/hour but some folks take up to several per hour.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

#artbydmcbride

I've just started sprinkling salt from a shaker on almost everything I eat now. Yum, it makes everything taste better. Smile

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

I'm like Ilene. I dont take tabs or anything, but I am very liberal with my salt shaker now.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hummm... I loaded up the chili last night with salt (not crunchy, just tasty) and haven't had any cravings. Maybe that's all it will take. Thanks all! Tim

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am not a salt person. DW uses sea salt.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

You are gradualy becoming a woman - you're getting your period, duh!
                              You are gradualy becoming a woman - you're getting your period, duh!
                              Well, I've got the breasts to prove it! Wink I thought women only craved chocolate during 'that special time'. Undecided TC