Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11036 times)

Needs more cowbell!

a dead body - the runner who finished just ahead of me at the 1995 Columbus Marathon dropped dead at the finish line - not sure if this is weird - but it was unusual...

I've always wondered how I would react to that.  A guy died just shy of the finish line at this year's Riverbank Run 25k.  His predicted finish time would have been right in the ballpark of what I run.  I didn't run it this year, but if I had there's a decent chance that I would have been in his vicinity when he collapsed.  That's some haunting thing to experience, I'm sure.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 6 duathlons (1 Olympic distance)

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

JML

Wow, that tops the stolen stashed water bottle stories by a mile.  Hope you didn't need the water.  Karma points for you, I suppose.

Fortunately, I was about half a mile from a water fountain that I use as a refill point on this route.  I may avoid this area in the future in case he mugs me again!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

You'll ruin your knees!

Yeah, that one's pretty aggressive.

No, the one to which I refer was quite aggressive, I assure you....

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

A whole, uncooked turkey.  In the middle of a waterfront trail (near a parking lot).... it was just getting to be daylight when I happened upon it so it startled me and I had to jump over it.  There were a few scattered veggies about also - whole potatoes and carrots.  Not only was it a weird place for the turkey, but it was still a few weeks before thanksgiving!

Canadians!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Feeling the growl again

Lots of races mark potential hazards with orange or white spray paint.  This weekend I was running the Chicago Half Marathon, cruising down Lakeshore Drive, and there's a roadkilled raccoon on the curb....with a bright orange spray painted strip down its back.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

The shirtless wonder

I saw a container of macaroni salad on the side of the road -- a road that doesn't get tons of traffic.  Very odd.

Dead seal on the beach today. Conspicuously not stinky as I got close to try and ascertain its cause of death. So musta been freshly deathly. A little bit sad, but also pretty cool.

I saw a container of macaroni salad on the side of the road -- a road that doesn't get tons of traffic.  Very odd.

kid ditching their lunch from home?

I stand by what I said on FB. That was someone's stashed long run fuel.
                    henryc

Lots of races mark potential hazards with orange or white spray paint.  This weekend I was running the Chicago Half Marathon, cruising down Lakeshore Drive, and there's a roadkilled raccoon on the curb....with a bright orange spray painted strip down its back.

That reminds me of a squirrel right outside my work that is flattened and has a white stripe from the side of the road painted on it. What an ignominious death.

hudzomatic

Alright this is my first time ever posting, and it's because I couldn't pass up telling this story:

I was on a short run through downtown one day, and it looked like there was a kids parade coming the opposite direction -- everyone had signs, their parents were walking with them, the whole bit.  As I passed the parade, all the kids were looking toward the middle of the street, where a cat must have just gotten hit by a car, because it was mid-seizure -- blood squirting out of it, and looking like a breakdancer.

The kids were horrified, I was shocked, and almost couldn't keep the irony from making me bust out laughing.

yeah no, not funny

Kid

A used condom.  (I should say it wasn't in the wrapper.  Whether or  not it had been used yet... well, I wasn't going to check, but I assume so.)

smcleod

A few weeks ago, on a long run down a country road, a box of tea bags all scattered on the shoulder of the road. At first I couldn't tell what it was and then I saw the box on the side of the road. What a waste of tea!

Needs more cowbell!

A few weeks ago, on a long run down a country road, a box of tea bags all scattered on the shoulder of the road. At first I couldn't tell what it was and then I saw the box on the side of the road. What a waste of tea!

*sigh* f'ing Tea Partiers! Roll eyes

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 6 duathlons (1 Olympic distance)

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)