Can someone give me advice regarding running and working the night shift? (Read 1353 times)

Double IPA Please!

So I start a new job working nights (12 hour shifts every other weekend) and 11pm-7am during the week nights that I do work. I work in Healthcare (patient care).

I'm so used to running between 40 and 50 miles a week for the last 4.5 years..I really want to be able to keep that up, but not sure how to go about doing it. When to run? Some say right after work in the mornings and some say before work in the evenings. Anyone have this challenge to deal with?

Thanks-

Denise.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Half Fanatic #846

I haven't had that challenge yet, but in my line of work that possibility always exists, so I've thought about it here and there.  I think I would run just after work in that case  for several reasons:   I'm already up, it's easy to change into running clothes, it's cooler in the mornings, I can eat something beforehand at work if I need to, and I'm gonna sleep like a baby afterward.  Heck, in winter time, I might even run before work when it's warmer.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Denise, running after a night shift works for me when I'm in night shift mode. For me that means several weeks of nights-my body is used to the nights and it's not that hard to keep going in the morning. Now that winter is coming though, I will usually run after I wake up in the afternoon. It's actually nice because it's still light out and it's warmer than running in the morning. I've found that for running, nights are easier in the winter and days are easier in the summer to optimize running. I'm a nurse, so I work 12 hour shifts too; it does take some adjustment to get used to being on your feet for 12 hours, and then running. My mileage took a huge hit this year for that reason, but I think I finally have it figured out.

Do you usually run 7 days a week? I did, but now I need to take more days off, and as I start to build mileage again, I think my goal will be one day off per week. I think it will just be trial and error to see what works for you.

Good luck with the new job.

Amanda

AMKinCO

I prefer running in the afternoon/early evening before going in to work when I'm on night shift.  It is a nice way to wake up for the night...I'm a doctor and have to go back and forth between days/nights a lot and this has worked best for me.  Also gives me good mojo prior to an often taxing night, better to store up positive energy than to try to run off the negative the next morning Smile   Plus I'm a zombie in the mornings after work. 

i get out of work @ 7a.m. and I'm in bed by 8a.m up at 3:30 on gym days & at the gym by 4:15 (mon, wed, & fri)....I get up @ 4:15 on tuesday & thursday and I'm on the road by 5 for my run days. I can't sleep if i run in the morning.

Chris UK

I work a variety of shifts including 11pm - 7am. I must say I have never felt the urge to run straight after a night shift so I guess that is not for me. I have some breakfast and then go to bed. I usually find that I only get about 5- 6 hours sleep during the day so I am up and about in the early afternoon. As I eat before going to bed I am usually running within an hour or so of rising. 

I don't notice the night work or the lower sleep levels affecting my running too much, although I never work more than 3 consecutive nights and only for 8 hours. I often manage to squeeze in 80 mile weeks so I guess if you want to do it enough you can get your miles in too.

Good luck with it - I'm sure with a little bit of experimentation you will find a plan that works for you.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Double IPA Please!

Thanks everyone!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Feeling the growl again

Congrats on the new job, Denise.

My wife used to work those shifts and working out afterwards was a non-started.  She did much better working out in the afternoon when she woke up.  If she had back-to-back shifts, it was very difficult for her to work out at all.

Once I was working, I told her no more night shifts.  They are really hard on most people.  So experiment, find out what works for YOU, and go with the flow.

One advantage I can see is that you are more likely to get to run outdoors during daylight hours in the winter than most of us.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

uncontrollable

I am junk after a 12hr shift - tried to run a couple different times BEFORE going to bed - awful.  I felt like crap - could barely plod along and def. couldn't push at all - and cut both of them shorter than intended (which I otherwise rarely do).  Everyone is different.  Could I 'force' myself to do it to "get it done" - maybe but it would be a miserable experience and for sure not resembling any sort of 'quality'.  If I HAD to for lack of other options & wanting to keep my mileage up ... I would maybe do 3 or 4, go to bed, and get as many miles as I could fit once I woke up.  I work 12's too and I rotate shifts.  When I am on straight nights - I will pick one of those days as my 'day off' otherwise it is stressful on my mind & body trying to force it.  When I do two in a row - I get a great run the day I am going in (1st night) the next day may be my day 'off' and when I wake up the next day I will have a normal run.  I guess it depends if you take days off or not.  I run 6 - rest one.  Good luck!

peace

heather85

So I start a new job working nights (12 hour shifts every other weekend) and 11pm-7am during the week nights that I do work. I work in Healthcare (patient care).

I'm so used to running between 40 and 50 miles a week for the last 4.5 years..I really want to be able to keep that up, but not sure how to go about doing it. When to run? Some say right after work in the mornings and some say before work in the evenings. Anyone have this challenge to deal with?

Thanks-

Denise.

Can you find a morning running group right after you get off work? I would suggest that if you could for the added motivation after such a long shift at off hours.

If not, depends on your natural rhythm.... Even working 3rd shift, I was most awake in the morning after getting off work and did best then.

My brother who is more suited to third shift, even with a sedentary job, can't exercise after and has to do it in the evening before.  Try it both ways. 

(Oh, and when I worked 3rd shift I worked 10 pm to 9 am and I slept from 1:30 to 8:30 pm, so I would be up in the morning anyways and was used to that. When do you sleep?)