running store anxiety (Read 1143 times)

So last year I decided to get a new tennis racquet. I hadn't bought a new one in years. When I was playing tennis back in the day :-), wide body 100+ sq. in. face racquets were becoming popular.  I bought one, and it basically killed any ability that I had.  I went back to the good ol' standard size 85 sq in racquet I had used in the past, and my game got better again. 

Fast forward to last year, I walked into a tennis store and started looking at racquets.  I felt a little intimated because I didn't know the people in the store, I had not played in a long time, and I didn't know what "level" I would be considered.  All I knew was that I did not want a wide body racquet because that added way too much power to my swing and took away a lot of ball precision.  So I picked up a nice 95 sq. in. Yonex racquet that looked promising.  The owner came over and asked what level I was.. blah blah.  When I didn't know my level, he gave me a look that I read as condescending.

He then told me that was a professional level racquet and that perhaps I would be happier with some other racquet because that one would be difficult to use.  He handed me a big ol' wide body 100+ sq in racquet.  I responded by telling him I was not looking for anything more than 95 sq. in. because I was currently playing with an 85 sq. in. that I liked and that I did not want anything that was wide body either.

What did he do next? Well, he once again tried to convince me that I needed the exact type of racquet that I did not want. 

So... I went home, got online, and ordered the racquet I was planning on buying in the store that he advised against.  I've played with it quite a few times over the summer, and I love it.

I think when you walk into a new situation or a situation that isn't familiar, it is pretty normal to feel a little nervous.  If, however, you don't start to feel good vibes after a being there for a bit, it is probably time to move on.  Instead of paying attention to your nerves, pay attention to how the person interacting with you is treating you and responding to you.  That does a couple of things... 1. it takes your focus off of your own feelings of nervousness or insecurities and 2. it gives you a clue about the person you are doing business with.  

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

There is one particular sporting goods store in the area that I can't stand going to for shoes, In fact, I only buy clearance shoes if I do buy from them becasue there are no sales people around that part of the store.

They are making a salary plyus commision and ALWAYS try to sell you the most expensive shoe in the brand you ask for.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

There is one particular sporting goods store in the area that I can't stand going to for shoes, In fact, I only buy clearance shoes if I do buy from them becasue there are no sales people around that part of the store.

They are making a salary plyus commision and ALWAYS try to sell you the most expensive shoe in the brand you ask for.

A perfect reason to NOT go to that store.  For running shoes, at least.  A good running store shouldn't care how much you spend, because, they don't really make any more profit off the more expensive ones then the less expensive ones (sure, though, they do have more tied up in inventory ).  Once again, above, it's a commission thing.

We had very few of the expensive models, purely because no one bought them, and we didn't really try to sell them either.

As for brand...unless the customer specifically asked for a brand, we would bring out three different brands, and explain to them WHY we brought out 3 different brands.  Essentially, because they're all different, and feel different to the runner.  Some are stiff, some are mushy, some are like running on 2x4s, some are heavy, etc.

But, selecting the right shoe for a person was a process that took a few months of working there to know what would be right.  In the beginning, you'll bring out a few pair, and then you'll have to go back and get some more.  After a while, that happens less and less.  They'll usually pick one of the ones you bring out.

If you don't get service like that, then either mention it to the owner, or find another place, of possible.  Oh, and also, if you buy a pair, and you run in them for a few days and you don't like them, they should take them back and put you in a different pair.  No extra charge (unless you select a more expensive pair).  Don't expect a refund, though.

And, most stores have deals with the manufacturers that they can return shoes (for some credit, usually half price).  As long as the store indicates what was wrong with them. 

Jeff

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Is this a question?  I don't know, are you nervous?  This statement/question has confused and frightened me.

Dude that was funny.  Would have been better if you used candiced myself at some point though.  However, I have to admit while laughing, I am now very confused and frightened by you.  At one point I thought you might be side kick worthy but I am a little worried about you now.   It feels like you have practice talking to yourself.  It was just too real. 

2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Hey, nice marmot!

It feels like you have practice talking to yourself.  It was just too real. 

I will admit, it wasn't the first time.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

I will admit, it wasn't the first time.

There are real tears flowing down my cheeks right now.  Thanks for the best laugh I've had in months.

MTA:  I, too, need to go to a running store soon.  I'm terrified because I know *they* will want to put me in motion control shoes.  But I don't think I need them.  I'm tired of clunking around in the shoes I currently wear.  I'm also maybe a teensy bit embarrassed about taking my foot shape that I traced on paper on the advice of some guy from Japan and turning the shoes over to see if they are the right shape.  I actually have try out different approaches to the sales people in my head--right now I'm leaning toward asking for trail shoes because they are all neutral.

Anya, I may not be a real person (see link above), but I'll be rooting for you to do this.

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.

I actually have try out different approaches to the sales people in my head ...

I recommend a British accent.  And a monocle.  Really throws them off their game.

Caution: if it should fall, do not, under any circumstances, state that you've "dropped the monocle."  It's code for something you don't want any part of.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

Heh.

So if you wear a tux and a monocle, how can others tell whether you are Mr Peanut or The Monopoly Guy?

So if you wear a tux and a monocle, how can others tell whether you are Mr Peanut or The Monopoly Guy?

By the bags with dollar signs on them, of course... which I also recommend you take to the running store to guarantee top-notch service.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Okay so relieve some of the anxiety this might be step number one.  Try and know your shoe category before heading to the store.  Neutral, motion control, stability, light weight, for heavy runner, etc.  Then go into the store and tell the person helping you that you plan on trying on 10 pairs of shoes of different makes etc. and do not I repeat DO NOT be afraid to correct the clerk and let him/her know that it is your money and that the last experienc buying shoes you had was a bad one.  If the clerk wants to save money he will bring out all the different shoes you want and maybe a few recommendations he may have that fit into the category you are looking at.  Do not be afraid to walk out without a shoe or to allow time to process what your mind just went through.

I went to Road Runner's Sport in California a few weeks ago and went throught the motion of the Shoe Dog program they offer.  The outcome was a stability shoe and as soon as I corrected the clerk on the fact that a stability shoe usually ended in shin splints, sore legs, etc. he asked what my normal shoe was.  He quickly put me in a heavy runner neutral shoe and I again stated that I liked going fast and wearing my shoes out earlier so we agreed to downgrade to a mid level neutral shoe.  he then proceeded to bring the category out in each make as well as a few other shoes.  awesome experience but if I had given into what his inital assessment was he would have sold me the wrong pair of shoes.  I walked out of the store that day and went back a few days later with a narrowed idea on what shoe I wanted and came out with my 2 favorite pairs.  I do that often.  It is like shopping for a car or bike or anything else of that nature.  test ride then take a step back and let the experience be absorbed before making a committment to anything.

For the record if the person helping you is too pushy then ask for someone else to help you or simply walk out and go back at a later date to get a better experience. 

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

tomatolover

I"m buying new shoes today,  and I'm actually nervous? How weird is that?   

This is my plan, I just want to ask them to bring out 3 or 4 light weight neutrals.    And if that's not enough, 3 or 4 more.   And more if necessary, since I"m looking for a new shoe.    Last time, the guy talked me into getting Adidas Adistar Ride, which were too big and clunky, not to mention heavy.  

I'm I the only one who dreads this?    I just hate feeling pressured.      

i hate it too...i've had this internal battle with myself and my running store for the last 6 months...due to IT issues, BORN TO RUN, this site, and a whole lotta other readings,  my understanding is that I need to step out of my Brooks Adrenaline (stability) shoes and move to a more neutral/minimal shoe...when i went to my usual store, I was talked out of what I think i wanted and put squarely back into the stabilty shoes I've been wearing for 1 1/2 years....He told me i had "drunk the born to run coolaid" and would not be held responsible for injuries I incure with my neutral shoes.

I've been to 4 stores within a 40 minute vicinity of my house and each bascially touts the same thing.  I frequent the cool-aid guy from above, because it's family run shop, they give me the time of day, and i like to support  local & independent businesses, though I think i need to find a less-is-more kinda shop for my next pair.

so, in a matter of words, I hear ya Anya- yer not alone with this issue

xor

I love my brooks adrenalines.

Then again, they work great for me and I don't have IT band or other knee woes.  If I did, especially chronically, I'd try to fix it... through a variety of mechanisms including trying different shoes and looking at biomechanical issues, muscle imbalances, etc.

I won't go so far to say that Born to Run is "kool aid"... it's not that, not really.  But he fictionalized some stuff in that book and lots of folks seem to be reading it as a nonfiction textbook.  It's not that either.

He told me i had "drunk the born to run coolaid" and would not be held responsible for injuries I incure with my neutral shoes.

This is the problem... you can not sue him for medical coverage to assist with any problems a neutral shoe brings.  Just buy one and let him know that if it doesn't work out then you will use it as a daily wear shoe or yard work shoe. 

I hear you all though.  My wife is easily swayed by the "experts" out there.  I do not see the big deal in selling a sports car to a guy going through a mid life crisis in the hopes that it will help him maintain some sanity and such.  He may very well come back to the old standards on his next purchase but it may very well help him find a new lease on life and a new joy to breath the fresh air.  Drink the Kool-Aid all day if it is what makes you happy.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Hey guys, just wanted to say I got real lucky at the running store.  I went to a slightly larger one in town, and I was the only customer in there!!! How often does that happen? I tried on 5 pair, and used their treadmill to try them out.    The guy waiting on me was nice and helpful.  I ended up getting Asics Cumulus 12.  I like them so far.    I really wanted the Minzuos to work, since they were so nice and light, but the toe box was too tight.   These Ascis seem almost too cushiony, but, I have to admit, they feel good.

Anyway,   I lucked out this time. Wahoo!!!

MTA:  If they do work out, I can't wait to order them on-line!!!!!

- Anya

This doesn't bother me at all.  I have not purchased shoes at a running/sports store since 1989.  I wear a size 15 and have been ordering out of Eastbay for 21 years now.  Always great service and fast shipping (especially in emergencies); the one "lemon" pair I got they actually gave me a discount on a replacement pair when I complained they got shredded in 2 months.  It helps that I've bought pretty much the same type of shoes the whole time; my favorite model being the Asics Gel MC. 

The only time I got a little nervous buying sports equipment was when I started playing hockey and dropped $1000+ (a lot for a college kid) on equipment to get started.  I took the guy's advice and bought upgraded skates and shin pads to avoid injury.  He said don't waste too much $ on upper body pads since I'm pretty well built; the cheap $11 shoulder pads I got lasted 15 years.