Too much cardio... (Read 3039 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, this is likely so.
      well the article was written by a real personal trainer. so it must be true. you have to be all qualified and stuff to be a personal trainer. the article ends with a bang. "Get rid of the notion of the calorie checkbook because that is bleeding edge of yesterday that leads to nowhere." Damn. Good stuff.

A Saucy Wench

Sorry sister it's called BEING OLD.
        This is the GSP so I'll just say...GROOOOOWWWWWWL

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

This is the GSP so I'll just say...GROOOOOWWWWWWL
          This is crazy. I now get emails even when you are thinking of one. Yikes.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Qx though.......Our bodies do get more efficient at burning fat don't they ? (talking about endurance training here) E.g. Requireing less to get the same results.
            Yeah, we get more efficient at running which is the whole point of training. Vapid pop-fitness articles and drive-by personal trainers turn this around and say that the more you run, the less calories you burn, which is absolutely true, but they construe it in a way that is ridiculously misleading. Everytime I hear this bullshit, I get ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS However, the flipside is that the more you run, the better you get at running. If you start out running and run 6 miles in an hour easy, and lets say you burn 800 calories in that hour. So you could say you burn about 130 calories per mile. Now lets say you ran real consistently for a few months, and now when you run for an hour easy, you run 8 miles. It's still the same effort, you're just much more efficient at running. As such, you burn the same 800 calories. So, 100 calories per mile. So yes, the more efficient you get at running, the less effort goes into a given arbitrary output-based unit of work, and therefore running burns less calories per output-based unit of work! Does this mean that as we get more efficient at running we get a less effective workout? Absolutely not, that's ridiculous. All it means is that our metric (the mile, or any other output-based metric) is completely bunk in that it doesn't account for differences in running economy. If our metric is intensity over time, rather than distance, then the differences in running economy, weight, and pretty much anything else is built into the system and you can easily see that the entire concept of more efficient runners getting less of a workout is ridiculous. An hour at 75% effort is the same workout whether the person doing it is a 12 minute miler or a 6 minute miler. Thou shalt ignore pop-fitness articles and critically analyze anything that comes out of gym culture.
            For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
              The metaphor is this: Our body is a campfire, exercise is air and food is wood. If we decrease the wood and increase the air (i.e., as wind), the fire will get blown out.
              I usually find that a good wind will often spread the fire to the leaves and brush near the campfire. Therefore, if we stand next to someone who is doing a lot of cardio, then we should burn calories as well, correct?

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Dave

Now lets say you ran real consistently for a few months, and now when you run for an hour easy, you run 8 miles. It's still the same effort, you're just much more efficient at running. As such, you burn the same 800 calories. So, 100 calories per mile.
                I'm not entirely sure about this logic. I sort of viewed the calories burned like a basic physics problem with the calories burned per mile being essentially constant regardless of how fast, slow, or efficient you ran. It obviously is higher for people with higher weight (more overall energy necessary to move more weight over a given distance) and lower for lighter runners. My take was that your muscles develop so that they require relatively less glycogen per mile and burn relatively more fat/protein during exercise, thereby conserving your glycogen for longer distances so that you don't bonk as distances get longer.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I sort of viewed the calories burned like a basic physics problem with the calories burned per mile being essentially constant regardless of how fast, slow, or efficient you ran. It obviously is higher for people with higher weight (more overall energy necessary to move more weight over a given distance) and lower for lighter runners. My take was that your muscles develop so that they require relatively less glycogen per mile and burn relatively more fat/protein during exercise, thereby conserving your glycogen for longer distances so that you don't bonk as distances get longer.
                  Correct x 2.
                    I'm not entirely sure about this logic. I sort of viewed the calories burned like a basic physics problem with the calories burned per mile being essentially constant regardless of how fast, slow, or efficient you ran. It obviously is higher for people with higher weight (more overall energy necessary to move more weight over a given distance) and lower for lighter runners. My take was that your muscles develop so that they require relatively less glycogen per mile and burn relatively more fat/protein during exercise, thereby conserving your glycogen for longer distances so that you don't bonk as distances get longer.
                    There are essentially two parts of running economy: metabolic efficiency (which you're talking about) and stride efficiency (which is more what I was talking about). Both have a direct effect on the amount of effort/energy it takes to move your body a given distance. Imagine if I ran backwards for 1 mile, would it take the same amount of calories as running forwards would? What if I ran in Zig Zags? (Let's leave the ostriches out of this for now.) While this is a gross exaggeration, it is clear that the more efficient your running stride, the less energy will be required to cover a mile.
                    For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
                    mikeymike

I don't get into the physiology so much and I have no data whatsoever to back this up but I suspect that as we become stronger runners we waste less energy and so we do in fact burn fewer calories per mile, but that this change is pretty small. Most of the improvements in fuel efficiency that result from training come from not dipping into our glycogen stores as much because we can run faster with the same or less effort. However the salient point for me from RunningBehind's post was that the point of training is not to burn such and such number of calories but to become faster runners. In which case who cares what the muscle heads say about the campfire metaphor that Trent so effectively dismantled on page 1 of this thread?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There are essentially two parts of running economy: metabolic efficiency (which you're talking about) and stride efficiency (which is more what I was talking about). Both have a direct effect on the amount of effort/energy it takes to move your body a given distance.
                        Yes. But the latter is nearly insignificant in terms of overall calorie expenditure and really has much more to do with calorie source (i.e., fat versus glycogen). And what Mikey said.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Imagine if I ran backwards for 1 mile, would it take the same amount of calories as running forwards would? What if I ran in Zig Zags? (Let's leave the ostriches out of this for now.) While this is a gross exaggeration, it is clear that the more efficient your running stride, the less energy will be required to cover a mile.
                          If you were truly running backwards, your caloric expenditure would be about the same as running forward. Shuffling backwards does not count as the energy profile differs between shuffling and running much as it does between walking and running. Running in zig-zags may cover less forward distance per stride, but the distance your body moves still must be considered. The point is, calorie expenditure while running is a function of body weight, distance covered and individual intrinsic variation. ALL other factors, including efficiency, ambient temperature, windspeed, road grade, etc, are all insignificant next to the confidence interval around intrinsic variation.
                            Ryun's efficiency was about 30% better than Shorters. I don't know if there is any data available on casual/beginner runners, but the data in the economy chapters in Lore of Running lead me to believe that it's much more significant than you guys think.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ryun's economy was about 30% better than Shorters.
                              Define: economy
                                Rate of oxygen consumption at a submaximal running speed.