5 months until first marathon ... best approach? (Read 1069 times)

I started running again in October/November after a couple year break, and just completed my first longer race ever - a half marathon.  I was horrible at pacing and died after the 8 mile mark (the first 5k was in 19:00, 5 mile at ~32:00, then finished at ~1:32:45), but I hadn't really trained intelligently so was relatively happy.

Now I'm about 5 months from my first marathon.  Here are some things on my mind, but I'm not sure where to go from here:

• I would like to break 3:00 in the marathon
    • I am running 5 days a week, and would like to stick with this to minimize the chance of injury (1 day is a long run)
    • I ran long runs up to 18 miles in prep for the half marathon, and plan to run over 26 in training for the marathon
    • I have not done much speed work, probably 4 days total on the track
    • 3-4 of my 5 runs I am running part of the way with partners who are slower (over the past 5 months, this has made up about half of my mileage, but having company helps me stay sane so I don't want to give this up)
    • I am still way heavier than when I ran in high school / college (I am 180 lbs at 6'1", vs. 150 lbs or less back then)

Any thoughts on my best approach for completing a great marathon?

Slo

If you really want to break 3 in the marathon then I'd suggest:

• Look farther out than 5 months. (not saying to skip your upcoming marathon)
      • Run more than 5 days/week
      • Increase your mileage
      • Be more consistant with getting your mid week long run in
      • Lose the weight

You're really close. I'm not experienced enough to say if your next one could be it or not. I think with laser sharp focus on training it's quite possible.

Oh, and I see no need for running 26 miles as part of your training. I'd scratch that thought.

Thanks!  How many miles would you suggest per week?  I did get up to ~55 before the half (basic idea was to run three 8 milers, one 13 miler, and one 16 miler on the weekend).  

• I would like to break 3:00 in the marathon
          • I am running 5 days a week, and would like to stick with this to minimize the chance of injury (1 day is a long run)
          • I ran long runs up to 18 miles in prep for the half marathon, and plan to run over 26 in training for the marathon
          • I have not done much speed work, probably 4 days total on the track
          • 3-4 of my 5 runs I am running part of the way with partners who are slower (over the past 5 months, this has made up about half of my mileage, but having company helps me stay sane so I don't want to give this up)
          • I am still way heavier than when I ran in high school / college (I am 180 lbs at 6'1", vs. 150 lbs or less back then)

Any thoughts on my best approach for completing a great marathon?

www.running-wizard.com 

www.running-wizard.com 

Nobby, real cool.  Thanks!  

Looks like it's ready for us.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

www.running-wizard.com 

Yes.  I highly recommend running wizard.   It is great!  

steph  

DanMoriarity

With the proper endurance training, I think you can run sub 3 at some point, based on the 19:00 5k split from your half. I'm assuming that you were/are capable of running 18:30 or faster in a 5km race which puts you in the right ball park in terms of short-distance ability. With that said, I think you have quite a ways to go in the endurance department, but with 5 months to go you do have some time for significant improvement.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes:

• Get a long run in each week. I believe 20 miles is far enough, provided you run several of them before the race. Actually prior to my two best  marathons I only ran as far as 18 miles in the build up, though I ran 6-8 of these 18 milers before the race. Just going 20 miles once or twice  before the race won't cut it.
                • Get in some form of speedwork each week. It could be mile repeats on the track or a tempo run, maybe even hill reps or strides on occasion, but do some faster running once a week.
                • The more mileage you can do, the better, at least up to the point where you start to get injured or sick of it. Just be patient when you add miles and give yourself a thorough chance to get used to the higher workload before reaching for a new level.
                • Take it easy on your non-speedwork or long run days, you're more likely to get injured by doing your daily runs too fast (which impairs your recovery) than by running farther at a slower pace. 
                • Losing weight will help. Usually that means cutting down on processed, sugary and fatty foods.  

Good luck, keep us updated!