Runs just not going right - surprise! (Read 820 times)

Okay, my last week's runs were awful. I've been tired, distances were off. Just not good - plus having to stop twice for toilet runs in three and a half miles - yuck! I have been feeling off for a month or so with slight nausea and just not feeling right. But up to this week my runs have been good, increasing mileage and the October half seemed very on track. At the doctors, I expected the usual check-up but surprise - I'm pregnant - not a little pregnant but twelve weeks along! Yikes! So, as I absorb this news (put it in context - we spent five years trying and then adopted three years ago) can anyone tell me what it was like to continue to run while pregnant? I am going to check with my doctor, and I don't think I'll be running 13.1 miles two weeks out from my due date. Wasn't there another thread on running making you fertile?
      Congratulations!!! I don't have any advice - just wanted to give you and your family my best wishes. Smile

Amy

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I am going to check with my doctor, and I don't think I'll be running 13.1 miles two weeks out from my due date. Wasn't there another thread on running making you fertile?
        I think it was more like increased running led to increased desire and increased frequency - which would lead naturally to increased frequency and increased likelihood of pregnancy, so consider yourself proof of this! Big grin Congratulations and best wishes for a healthy and happy pregnancy and birth. On your other question, I have NO idea what it's like to run while pregnant. How long have you been a runner?
          I started in November (run for six months about four years ago too.)

Think Whirled Peas

CONGRATS!!!! I started reading your post, and the first thought I had was "sounds like she's pregnant". I got distracted w/work stuff (the NERVE!) and didn't get to finish reading your post until now. So yeah, pregnant was the call. Good deal! Sorry, I have no practical advice for you, but hope everything goes well for you. And I must also humbly request pics of the little 'un once the arrival, well, arrives. Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

A Saucy Wench

Running while pregnant is mostly great! Listen to your body more (no more HTFU runs! If you feel like you are too tired, you are too tired!) Sleep more, stay cool, stay hydrated and try to maintain or ramp very very very slowly. And one day you will wake up and be ungodly slow....and you'll adjust but realize you had a big weight gain...and you'll be fine with it...and then you'll wake up and be ungodly slower! I followed the advice from THIS BOOK which is a very nice read. It doesnt limit you to an arbitrary HR, just percieved exertion. Second trimester was the best part, your blood volume will have adjusted, but you wont be too big yet. I really enjoyed my 2nd tri runs. Congrats!!!! P.S. I swear running while pg helped my hill running immensely!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ringmaster

Congratulations! Sounds like you were a true RAer and kept running through what many of us consider the toughest twelve weeks of pregnancy. What a trouper! Your doc should be the one giving you advice about running and exercise. I think you're told to maintain some level of activity and listen carefully to your body. Some of my more active friends wore a HRM to make sure they didn't work too hard. Of course, we're getting into summer, too, so hydration is going to be important too. Like I said, you really should ask your doc. CONGRATULATIONS!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

Just another "Congratulations" to you! Hoping all goes well.

Giants Fan

I ran through my first pregnancy. I actually stopped around 7 months (it just started to feel too awkward). But I felt fine. Although it was harder to get my breath and I did have to fight feeling tired all the time! Good luck with your pregnancy! How exciting! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How cool! I'll bet that baby's been havin' a great time sloshing around--someday he/she will probably enjoy water parks. Big grin Glad you made it through the first trimester feeling relatively well. I had a really easy first trimester, too...actually, a pretty easy pregnancy. And to think the most strenuous thing I thought I could do was pregnancy yoga. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thank you all for your congratulations. So, if you check my log you can see I haven't run yet this week. I have just been too tired - Monday was emotionally tiring and this morning I woke at my normal run time (5:30) and went I'll just have a little nap and woke up again at 7:30 in time to get to work. Hubby and I are now excited after getting over the shock thatwe will be 66 and 57 when the child graduates high school. The kids were so happy they both were jumping up and down with delight (doctor told me I was over the main miscarriage risk so it was safe to tell.) My son (9) said "Yes - I've been wishing for this!" Maybe he could have clued in his numbskull parents. My daughter (11) asked if we were trying and we had to answer we honestly didn't think it would happen. She of course wants a sister; son a brother. Someone's going to be disappointed. I have a follow up appointment with about fifty questions to ask early next week, and hubby is coming to so if I forget something he'll be there. On Monday I really only got to (1) you are pregnant (2) you are at least 12 weeks from the sound of the heartbeat (doctor was surprised I was that far along and didn't know) - it was amazing to hear and really strong. I just didn't think what else to ask in the shock of the moment. I am going to try three miles runs and see how that goes, based of course on doctors advice and my energy level. No more building up on miles. (And I couldn't get while I increased mileage I wasn't losing any weight in the last month - thick, thick thick!) I appreciate any stories of experience you have had running while growing a baby. I am checking that book Ennay mentioned out of the library too. To be honest, I feel pretty thick that as a 38 year old I missed all the classic signs. I mean looking back I had everything that you'd expect but just thought I was under the weather and my sports bras were shrinking. Good lesson for my soon to be teenage daughter that you can get pregnant even when you least expect it.
                        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Susan - funny story from when my wife was expecting our youngest... We went in for the ultrasound (4th month, IIRC), and everything looked OK as the tech was doing the exam. Then the poor young man asked my wife when would be good next month for another checkup, and when she wanted to schedule Test A, Test B, Test C, etc., etc., etc. My wife responded that the doc had not talked about these with us, and we did not remember having any of these with our first child, so, why would we need to do all this? He proceeds to say, "well, you ARE 34 now, and by the time this child is born, you will be 35, which is considered advanced maternal age". I was able to get between them just before her hands closed on his neck.
                            Congrats! My wife is 11 weeks along, and she is so tired all the time (we also have an 11 month old to chase) She says the nausea and tiredness gets magically better after the 12th week.

A Saucy Wench

Susan - funny story from when my wife was expecting our youngest... We went in for the ultrasound (4th month, IIRC), and everything looked OK as the tech was doing the exam. Then the poor young man asked my wife when would be good next month for another checkup, and when she wanted to schedule Test A, Test B, Test C, etc., etc., etc. My wife responded that the doc had not talked about these with us, and we did not remember having any of these with our first child, so, why would we need to do all this? He proceeds to say, "well, you ARE 34 now, and by the time this child is born, you will be 35, which is considered advanced maternal age". I was able to get between them just before her hands closed on his neck.
                              Yeah...I was 36 when I had my 2nd. Not only did I get the extra tests,but at the hospital/doctors computer network it actuall flashed "advanced maternal age" across the screen and for one u/s I saw the order and they had STAMPED that across my chart in bright red. . I felt like bringing in a walker and flowered hat next visit.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I got the AMA thing, too! Freaked me out. I was 35.