Do you cross train? (Read 920 times)

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Thanks for all the replies. I joined a gym, and I thought I would "check out" a spinning class yesterday (no run day). It was tough. I obviously need to build up my cardio strength.
    I wouldn't recommend spinning classes, most of them spend too much time above an easy effort. I do recommend biking outside though, just nice and easy. You'll still go at least twice as fast as running, always creating a nice cooling breeze.
      Does hockey count as cross training? hmmmm
      I would actually count it - and I do, as an interval workout. You skate hard for short shifts and then sit for awhile, sounds like an interval workout to me. Hockey has helped me get rid of muscle imbalance problems I had when I competed in high school/college (strengthened the inside muscles of the legs) and is a great workout. I've also noticed the past few months that my skating greatly improved when I started running more miles again - looking forward to seeing if that continues in the summer session as I'm holding close to 30 miles per week now. I also lift weights although I've backed off the power lifting the past couple years. I think weights help strength and focus, and give you a little more power for short bursts. Of course, I only lift with my upper body. Power lifting will tend to tire you out a little and make it difficult for you to use your arms much running - I had serious alligator arms on days where I tried maxing - but I think its important as far as overall body strength and balance. I think its also helped me maintain more speed than I otherwise would have. I don't lift the same group of muscles every day - I'm on a 4 day rotation while the fifth day combines the first two days with lighter weights and less sets, 6th day combines 3rd and 4th. Each muscle group therefore usually gets one hard workout and one easy one each week. Just my two cents - cross training is a good thing.
        Thanks for all the replies. I joined a gym...Needless to say, today's run... didn't really happen, unless three-quarters of a mile is considered a run. Undecided I think I will stick to strength training and yoga/pilates until I am in better shape. Geeze.
        That counts as a run. Please don't be so rigid and hard on yourself. For what it's worth, I remember one of my very first runs being 12 minutes long and I was done. As for the gym membership, this is great. Use it. I personally throw in about 10 minutes on the weight machines after most runs (at the gym). Nothing intense.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

redleaf

I would actually count it - and I do, as an interval workout. You skate hard for short shifts and then sit for awhile, sounds like an interval workout to me. Hockey has helped me get rid of muscle imbalance problems I had when I competed in high school/college (strengthened the inside muscles of the legs) and is a great workout. I've also noticed the past few months that my skating greatly improved when I started running more miles again - looking forward to seeing if that continues in the summer session as I'm holding close to 30 miles per week now. I also lift weights although I've backed off the power lifting the past couple years. I think weights help strength and focus, and give you a little more power for short bursts. Of course, I only lift with my upper body. Power lifting will tend to tire you out a little and make it difficult for you to use your arms much running - I had serious alligator arms on days where I tried maxing - but I think its important as far as overall body strength and balance. I think its also helped me maintain more speed than I otherwise would have. I don't lift the same group of muscles every day - I'm on a 4 day rotation while the fifth day combines the first two days with lighter weights and less sets, 6th day combines 3rd and 4th. Each muscle group therefore usually gets one hard workout and one easy one each week. Just my two cents - cross training is a good thing.
          I think I'd get in a bit of trouble if I went and sat for a while in the middle of a game! Wink For me it's more - keep constantly moving while wearing 50lbs+ worth of stuff with some "frantic time" thrown in every once in a while. Still not allowed to do weights (knee injury and wrist surgery) so I've got hockey (twice a week), running (4 times) and yoga (once a week). I'd love to be able to add in another yoga session and some swimming...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I wish I would have more time for biking because that's one of my favorite things to do in the summer. When the weather is not working with me I go to the gym and work out my core and upper body.
              I think I'd get in a bit of trouble if I went and sat for a while in the middle of a game! Wink For me it's more - keep constantly moving while wearing 50lbs+ worth of stuff with some "frantic time" thrown in every once in a while. Still not allowed to do weights (knee injury and wrist surgery) so I've got hockey (twice a week), running (4 times) and yoga (once a week). I'd love to be able to add in another yoga session and some swimming...
              Some of my sitting is me doing so by myself in the penalty box. I still am at 190 pounds which is big enough to take pretty much anyone down. Sometimes I try to squeeze a run, weights, and a game in the same evening and I have passed out at the end of the game. I hate having limits! You've got a good variety going - I want to get my bike out, fix it, and go for a ride too. Between trying to get the landscaping in order and the nearly constant monsoon the past week in PA I haven't done it yet. I think the variety helps keep you fresh.
                I don't specifically cross train (I HATE upper body workouts!) but I've been using the Schwinn Airdyne "bike" a couple days a week and I can tell the difference in my running. We all know cross training is good for us. But, like eating our vegetables, it's up to us to determine how much is necessary. Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff