Another Newbie (Read 896 times)

Just wanted to say "Hey". A friend of mine pointed me here. I told him I'd love to run a Marathon some day and he said, 'why don't you run Chicago with me'? Before I knew it I'd signed up. Did I mention I have no running experience? Oh well, gotta start someplace. Wish me luck.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome! Wow. You have an ambitious first goal! Do you have a training plan picked out already? There are a number of decent ones out there. I hope to run a marathon someday but it won't be this year. How was your first run? Glad to meet'cha! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Chris...first I must say how happy I am to see a fellow Cheesehead on board (I was born and raised in WI and moved to MI when I was 20--13 summers ago). Backroadrunner/Eryn is also planning to train for a Chicago Marathon. I think she is contemplating next year's. Maybe someday I will feel up to that challenge, too. Right now my goal is next year's 5/3 Riverbank 25k in Grand Rapids, MI. After that a full marathon might not seem so daunting a goal. Nice to have you here! Smile Kirsten

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I plan on using Hal Higdon's novice plan. It's 18 weeks long so I figure I'll just add three weeks of lighter running at the beginning to get me started and use up all the time I have. I hope I'm not being too ambitious, but we'll see. My first run yesterday was okay, but I've got a long way to go. Nice to see another Wisconsinite here too.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A friend of mine swears by Hal Higdon's training plans. I think she is going to do the novice level half-marathon plan and someday work her way up to the novice marathon one. I recently purchased "The Complete Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Guide to Running 5Ks through Marathons" by Bob and Shelly-lynn Florence Glover. It got pretty decent reviews on Amazon, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I really need to start adding some speed and hills work to my workouts, since I am registered for my first 5k in a month. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay