Marathon Advice (Read 833 times)

thrasher

I need advice on whether to run a marathon in a couple of month.  I ran a half on Jan. 7 (1:49) and my long runs have been up to 13 miles.  I am signed up for the 1/2 in New Orleans on March 4 but I'm thinking about doing the full..  Between now and then, I'm hoping on getting in 3 longer run (16, 18, 20).  

I've run a full before so I know I can finish it but I don't want it to turn into a death march.  Is this a crazy thought? 

I would guess the answer depends on things we don't know about you.  Probably the most important detail is what you history and base are like.  If you have been averaging 50+ MPW for 10 years the answer is obvious, conversely, if you have been averaging 10 MPW for 6 months....well, the answer is probably equally obvious. 

Mileage base probably matters much more than what your long run has been.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

thrasher

I understand there's a lot of variables in answering my question and to do things correctly, I should train for another few months.  I've been running for about 18 months, after a few years off and I'm averaging about 25 mpw.  I've run 4 halfs over the past 8 months and I'm looking to do something different.  

ultramarathon/triathlete

Do the full and take it easy.   You'll make it.

I know a few others in your position who are running March marathons.  I know they'll make it.   Best thing to do is keep your pace much lower than your half marathon pace and be sure to fuel enough.  You'll make it to the end. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

finally Sub-3!!!

I need advice on whether to run a marathon in a couple of month.  I ran a half on Jan. 7 (1:49) and my long runs have been up to 13 miles.  I am signed up for the 1/2 in New Orleans on March 4 but I'm thinking about doing the full..  Between now and then, I'm hoping on getting in 3 longer run (16, 18, 20).  

I've run a full before so I know I can finish it but I don't want it to turn into a death march.  Is this a crazy thought? 

This is what a BQ looked like for my first attempt at the marathon.  NOLA nearly killed me.

Rock-N-Roll Mardi Gras Feb 2011

You've got plenty of time if you are already up to a 13 mile long run and your goal is to not crash and burn.  The secret will be in your early pacing. 

For NOLA, the first 18 miles is pancake flat, but the last bit out to the levy and back gets less pleasant.  It still isn't hilly by any means, but it was surprising since I was expecting it to be completely flat.  The road surface isn't great either, but overall its an awesome race.  I recommend it and would do it again.

thrasher

I appreciate everyone's advice to do the full.  However, I tweaked my hamstring last week so I wasn't able to do a planned 16 miler.  It is still bothering me a little so I'm not doing anything long that would hurt it worse.

Think I'll just run the half in New Orleans and train properly for a full in the fall.

I appreciate everyone's advice to do the full.  However, I tweaked my hamstring last week so I wasn't able to do a planned 16 miler.  It is still bothering me a little so I'm not doing anything long that would hurt it worse.

Think I'll just run the half in New Orleans and train properly for a full in the fall.

probably disappointing but sometimes thats the right decision.  count your loses,  get yourself well, & start slow upward progression & you will be better prepared by fall.