So...I know nothing about biking... (Read 1230 times)

Since I can't run for a month (well, we'll see...) I'm going to start biking every day, or at least as much as I can on my sore leg. I bike every day to school, but have never used it as an actual training effort. So how many miles a day is a good solid training ride? Like 20ish? It's probably the same as running: lots of LSD and some days do hills and stuff right? I've heard of clipless pedals but have no clue how to go about buying them, I may just stick to my running shoes on the bike. To stay in some sort of decent running shape, how many miles on the bike should I try to do a day? Thanks, and any other advice would be much appreciated Smile
      Since I can't run for a month (well, we'll see...) I'm going to start biking every day, or at least as much as I can on my sore leg. I bike every day to school, but have never used it as an actual training effort. So how many miles a day is a good solid training ride? Like 20ish? It's probably the same as running: lots of LSD and some days do hills and stuff right? I've heard of clipless pedals but have no clue how to go about buying them, I may just stick to my running shoes on the bike. To stay in some sort of decent running shape, how many miles on the bike should I try to do a day? Thanks, and any other advice would be much appreciated Smile
      I just read one answer to your question in Pfitzinger's 'Advanced Marathoning' book: 'To get a similar workout to running requires about three times as long on a bike. But because the main rationale for recovery runs is simply to increase blood flow through the muscles, you can replace a 30-minute recovery run with about 45 minutes on a bike.' He also suggests keeping the bike in an easy enough gear that your RPM's are at least 90 so your running leg turnover doesn't suffer. John
      Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think you should not move to clipless pedals when you have a cast -- everyone tells me that the adaptation to clipless pedals generally involves falling over several times in the process.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

1) I think I have heard the 1.4-1.5 number for easy rides. 2) I have never trained for a bike race or used biking to stay in shape for running, but I know it is much harder to keep up hills "easy" and of course down hills are always easy. 3) Biking is low impact, so don't worry about doing some fast stuff on all rides. Nothing ridiculous of course. 4) Just shoes and regular pedals is fine, that's what I use. 5) Your ass will hurt a ton if you go straight into a 20 mile ride, with no previous biking.Wink
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you should not move to clipless pedals when you have a cast -- everyone tells me that the adaptation to clipless pedals generally involves falling over several times in the process.
            Yes. And saying "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit" as you fall over while at a complete stop and unable to release your shoe (after DH said he tightened the pedals just a TEENY bit). Embarrassed

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes. And saying "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit" as you fall over while at a complete stop and unable to release your shoe (after DH said he tightened the pedals just a TEENY bit). Embarrassed
              If ever a description called out for a video.....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If ever a description called out for a video.....
                I know...it was funny, even to me. No harm, except a bruised pride. They were really cheap pedals, so I think adjusting them was a bit tricky.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Haha! I can just see it now...both legs in awesome green casts from falling off my bike like a 2 yr old lol! I think I"ll stick to my running shoes. Tongue egge, I've done several 20 milers, including some mntn biking, but never more that just 20. And not all in one week! lol. Thanks, this was all helpful advice. Especially for the falling down stuff hehe. Sounds just like running: lsd!

Gotta TRI

The KEY to un-clipping pedals is when you un-clip your right foot.....(wait for it.....) is NOT to lean left. Big grin
                    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

jules2

I suppose you could you get the cleat set into the cast! Unless you cycle regularly I wouldn't go clipless, they are funny things as some people get on with them and some don't. I think cycle to running is more a ratio of 4 to 1 but anything is better than nothing and I seem to spend more time "recovering" on my bike than running these days. The only reason I took up running was that it takes less time to keep fit than cycling and its safer in the Winter.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.