Sunglass recommendation(s)? (Read 2049 times)

I second the Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ recommendation. I used to use Eye Jackets, then EJ 3.0, and the Flak Jackets are the next best thing.  I would suggest rinsing your glasses off after a sweaty run though.  Maybe I'm part Alien and I have super acid sweat, but it tends to make the lens coating flake after a few years.  Now that I've started rinsing them off better I don't seem to have the issue.

Before the Oakleys, I wore cheap sunglasses and would get headaches from distortion.

If any of you are military or a government employee, you can get a matte black with grey lens set for about half price at US Standard Issue.

For those of you wearing contacts, you can also look into the Nike MaxSight contact lenses that came out a few years ago.

Too funny, but I actually had the exact same thing happen to my first set of XLJ polarized lenses..they started to etch in certain spots...I put up with it for awhile but ended up buying some replacement lenses and now rinse after every run...Fortunately my cousin can buy via standard issue, so it's not as expensive.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Too funny, but I actually had the exact same thing happen to my first set of XLJ polarized lenses..they started to etch in certain spots.

I had a beloved pair of Bolle polarized sunglasses for driving that did this right in my field of vision.  I have long eyelashes and I think the oils and acids coated the inside of the lens enough to eventually etch the plastic.  I got them for about half price and probably had them for 3 years, so it wasn't a big deal, but I really loved the style and couldn't find a replacement pair or lenses.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I see no point in polarization for running.  I don't run around a lot of reflective surfaces.

Asphalt has a suprising amount of glare that you don't notice until it get knocked out by polarization (especially when it's sunny out, but the road is wet from the rain).  Every little bit of glare reduction helps eye fatigue.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

frame05

Tifosi Slip.  About 50 bucks.  Vented at the top so they don't fog up.  You get 4 different lenses - smoke, red, yellow and clear.  Replacements lenses are available.  I wear these for running and biking and I swear by them.  You can easily spend 3-4 times more on glasses that are lesser quality in my opinion.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

My husband's Caucasian and I'm Asian.  Curiously enough we both love the same sunglasses for running!  They're Maui Jim Sports and the style is called "Makaha".  They're polarized, super lightweight, don't bounce or fog up, either.  We've gotten them at Nordstrom and on Ebay.  One of the best investments made!

Eunice

db7

I bought a pair of the Ironman sunglasses at Target based on recs from this thread and after one run in them the prognosis is - two thumbs up.  No bounce and the fit is teriffic.  My last pair were held too close to my face (touching my eyebrows) so that the sweat would run down the lenses - hated this.  Pushing them away from my face made them bounce.  These are held firmly just a smidge away from my face and eyebrows so sweat doesn't run down the lenses.  Price - $17.99

Tried it for the cost factor.  Two thumbs up.

DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

kcam

I bought a pair of the Ironman sunglasses at Target based on recs from this thread and after one run in them the prognosis is - two thumbs up.  No bounce and the fit is teriffic.  My last pair were held too close to my face (touching my eyebrows) so that the sweat would run down the lenses - hated this.  Pushing them away from my face made them bounce.  These are held firmly just a smidge away from my face and eyebrows so sweat doesn't run down the lenses.  Price - $17.99

Well, these glasses gave up the ghost on Friday.  Broke in half when I was washing the lenses.  I'm monkey-fisted but damm!  Now prowling for something better.

Get Lost :)

$25 New Balance sunglasses. I tried some Oakleys (thanks REI dividend), but they made me tan funny and look like a raccoon.
                  Doug Little

Folks, I am a Safety Consultant and would like to throw in some input here.

UV is very serious, espeically for us crazos that like to run in any weather.

When looking for eyewear, make sure that it states the amount of UV it protects.

Most compliant safety eyewear offers 99% UV protection, even the clear ones. Sometimes we get messed up thinking about darker lens actually protecting better when they really don't protect more agains't UV but obviously reduce the light coming in.

With that said, you might want to stop by your safety store and take a look. Eyewear has come a long way and there are some really good looking ones out there, they are much less expensive and you'll feel better when you step on them and break 'em, compared to the fashionable ones.

Check out http://www.gearforpros.com/glasses/index.html for an example. Yes it is my company but just trying to show you some alternatives.

Doug