Age Groups (Read 343 times)

Best Present Ever

It just feels like bragging and that's not me. Maybe if my 5k times were under 20 minutes instead of 22-something, I'd feel like I really earned them.

I save them all without shame.  Like the envelope that says "second overall masters" that held the gift certificate that I won in on my fridge still.  It's been there a year.  I only win anything when no one else shows up, and dammit, I'm going to be happy.  However, I fully realize I'm not fast.  

This attitude has been helpful for my daughter though, who is game but not fast (mama's genes.) She  DFL'd in a duathlon not long ago (it was a kids race that had very few kids 12+, and the 12+ kids went twice as far as the littler kids.  There were plenty of 11 year olds that would have come in waaaayyy after her otherwise.)  She finished the race in tears, sat in the car crying, and I finally coaxed her out because there were a lot of grab bag prizes.  When they read the awards, she was third in her AG.   Obviously, she was 3/3.  But I pointed out that she was WAY ahead of the kids who didn't show up, and if anyone asked how her race was, she could honestly say "I was third in my AG."  She was thrilled.  Perked right up.   : ) 

I save them all without shame.  Like the envelope that says "second overall masters" that held the gift certificate that I won in on my fridge still.  It's been there a year.  I only win anything when no one else shows up, and dammit, I'm going to be happy.  However, I fully realize I'm not fast.  

This attitude has been helpful for my daughter though, who is game but not fast (mama's genes.) She  DFL'd in a duathlon not long ago (it was a kids race that had very few kids 12+, and the 12+ kids went twice as far as the littler kids.  There were plenty of 11 year olds that would have come in waaaayyy after her otherwise.)  She finished the race in tears, sat in the car crying, and I finally coaxed her out because there were a lot of grab bag prizes.  When they read the awards, she was third in her AG.   Obviously, she was 3/3.  But I pointed out that she was WAY ahead of the kids who didn't show up, and if anyone asked how her race was, she could honestly say "I was third in my AG."  She was thrilled.  Perked right up.   : ) 

That's sweet.  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I save whatever tangible awards I get, plus the note that an RD wrote me when I was 59: "Next year, you'll OWN the 60-64 age group!"

Julia1971

I keep all my awards.  For instance, I found my physical education achievement awards from the 7th grade:

3rd place for sit-ups - 56 (Don't know the time frame)

2nd place for side step - 21 (What's side step?)

2nd place for 50 yard dash - 7.0 (Is that seconds?  Seems fast.)

And...  School record for the standing long jump - 8'0!  (I should call them to see if that record still stands.  I might be a celebrity at that middle school and not even know it.)  Edited to add: Okay.  They must have mis-measured since apparently the world record was something like 7'11".  LOL!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Julia with one inch over the world record -- WOOHOO!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

Julia with one inch over the world record -- WOOHOO!

My school district went a step beyond everyone gets a medal.  Everyone gets a world record!!!  Yay!

Maniac

I would have to agree with this.  I became a parent 6 weeks ago and my times are already slipping.  It's definitely worth it, but its still a little sad since I am a fairly new runner, and felt like I was making great progress, and now I kind of feel it slipping away.

Congrats on becoming a parent.  It'll come back.  Train when you can now and know that you'll get back to taking it seriously again when your life is a little more under your own control.

MTA:  Just looked at your log.  Your running dedication when a new parent is a sight to behold...And better than mine on my best day.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy