I'm not stepping foot in that place until . . . (Read 915 times)

they put Clemens in the Hall of Fame.  Writers are supposed to live their life by the facts and report the facts.  The fact is Clemens was never convicted of anything and nothing has ever been proven that he did anything.  Heck as much as I hate Piazza I think he should be in the hall as well, if you think his numbers deserve it.  I actually do!

I understand not putting in Rose, Sosa, Bagwell, Raffy and Bonds even though I would.  You have Cobb and Ruth why not those guys.  However, they all admited to doing something wrong.  So I sort of get that.  However, how many writers I wonder have ever written an article as fact and then had to take it back because of false information they thought was fact.   I'm sure they have done some dirty deed as their time as writers.  I understand taking away the whole getting in on the first ballot but he had better be in next year.

Yeah I am a Clemens fan.  Damn stubborn fool!

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Writers are supposed to live their life by the facts and report the facts. 

No. Box scores are for facts.

Baseball writing makes and breaks heroes and villians, creates a tale "based on a true story". At least, good baseball writing does.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      dennrunner

Keep your shorts on BCR, he'll get in later. He just has to be snubbed for a vote or two or three...

Purdey

Self anointed title

they put Clemens in the Hall of Fame.  Writers are supposed to live their life by the facts and report the facts.  The fact is Clemens was never convicted of anything and nothing has ever been proven that he did anything.  Heck as much as I hate Piazza I think he should be in the hall as well, if you think his numbers deserve it.  I actually do!

I understand not putting in Rose, Sosa, Bagwell, Raffy and Bonds even though I would.  You have Cobb and Ruth why not those guys.  However, they all admited to doing something wrong.  So I sort of get that.  However, how many writers I wonder have ever written an article as fact and then had to take it back because of false information they thought was fact.   I'm sure they have done some dirty deed as their time as writers.  I understand taking away the whole getting in on the first ballot but he had better be in next year.

Yeah I am a Clemens fan.  Damn stubborn fool!

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  I'm guessing that this is about a sport other than running - but apart from that? No idea.

Carry on.

No. Box scores are for facts.

Baseball writing makes and breaks heroes and villians, creates a tale "based on a true story". At least, good baseball writing does.

"Journalism is the activity or product of journalists or others engaged in the preparation of written, visual or audio material intended for dissemination through public media with reference to factual, ongoing events of public concern. It is intended to inform society about itself and to make public things that would otherwise be private."

Now obviously you have those rag magazines that write on gossip but baseball writers are not paid to write about gossip.  When voting for something I believe you take out your emotions and vote on the facts.  Even if you could prove Clemens did take PED's, something a million tax dollars could not, it was not like it was even illegal in baseball.  Plus who know's who was or was not taking them.  Look at that jerk Piazza.  Poor guy is being lumped in with all those who have revealed they did drugs.  Why is he guilty by association?

All it takes is one stupid person or newspaper person to claim someone did something and then they are affected for life.  I find this article interesting and kind of on point.

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Article/Tommy-Tuberville-An-Unfair-Target-110642

• Sub 22  5K
            xor

Simmer down.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

For your enjoyment, BCR.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20130110_Phil_Sheridan__Hall_of_Fame_voters_are_out_of_touch.html

Thanks.  He makes a good point in that most likely we already have players in the hall who have used steriods.  Would anyone be surprised to learn that Ricky Henderson did steriods?  I think he is the greatest leadoff hitter ever and I have always been amazed by his talents.  He was not a very good person but a hell of a ball player.

What about the guys who corked bats, scuffed balls, spit on their hands etc . .   This is all just a big joke.  The sad thing is even if they did do roids that they didn't break any baseball rules.  Maybe a US law but not anything to do with baseball.

• Sub 22  5K
                  Purdey

Self anointed title

baseball.

Thank you!  Now I can ignore this thread.

Goose Gossage applauds

Feeling the growl again

"Journalism is the activity or product of journalists or others engaged in the preparation of written, visual or audio material intended for dissemination through public media with reference to factual, ongoing events of public concern. It is intended to inform society about itself and to make public things that would otherwise be private."

Do you really think that when you turn on the news at night or read a paper that you are getting facts?

Read the definition again.  Journalism is with reference to factual, ongoing events.  This is different from saying journalism is facts, because it most certainly is not.

Plus, what Purdey said.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm really hoping that anybody that supports any of these baseball players mentioned by BCR also support Lance Armstrong.

If you don't support Lance, I have no idea how any baseball fan who loves the purity of the game could support any of these guys.

I guess you could argue, though, that baseball purity is gone.  And that's sad (sadder than cycling, IMHO).

Steroid use =/= 'corked bats, scuffed balls, spit on their hands etc'.

Cheers,
                          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

Baseball never had "purity".  Cheating has been part of the sport since it was invented... it's just that some forms of cheating had been more acceptable than others.

I wish I cared.  I used to looooove baseball and the stats and stuff.  But even though cheating has always been a part of the game, I completely stopped caring when people like Brady Anderson went from being chumps to knocking 50+ homers a year and a dead Roger Clemens suddenly renanimated in Toronto because of a (wink wink) amazing work out regimen.  Eh.  And Sammy cried.

Well, there was also the last big strike.

And the idea that a game of baseball is perhaps the longest 12 hours of my life, being spent in the pursuit of "fun".  Do you have to step out of the box and adjust your shit after every single pitch???

Prince of Fatness

Well, there was also the last big strike.

If you are talking about the one that caused them to cancel the World Series that did it for me, too.

Not at it at all. 

HermosaBoy

Do you have to step out of the box and adjust your shit after every single pitch???

Nah, after all the steroids -- they are just trying to find their shit...  Roll eyes

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob