Adrenaline GTS 12 heel wear (Read 800 times)

I've had a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 since November. They've been great so far, but I've recently noticed that I have

been getting pain mid-foot from my runs. At first, I thought there was no chance that it could be the shoe, since they only have

a little over 300 miles on them now. Still, I took a close look and noticed that the outside of each heel seems to taper upward

away from the ground, a little over 1 cm at max. If I put my hand in the shoe, I can roll it backward onto the heel - it's as if the mid-section of the shoe is holding more of the weight. I don't weigh an awful lot (120 lbs), but I have done a fair amount of steep hill running in these since I got them. Am I worrying more than need be?

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Menace to Sobriety

How does this wear pattern compare to previous models? I haven't been in the 12's yet, but have been in the Adrenalines since 5 and haven't had any shoe related problems. They do sometimes feel different from one model year to another, but other than that, no problems. It does seem that they seem to break down a little faster since they went to the "greener" materials. I used to be able to get over 300 miles without having any knee or back aches, but now they seem to creep in at a little under 300. (i'm about 210 lbs)

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I can't speak specifically to the heel wear you're noticing but I just retired a pair of GTS 12s with 297 miles on them. I actually think they were completely worn out around the 250 mile mark and I went a week or two longer in them than I should have. I thought there was no way they were worn out that soon but my knees and back were telling me otherwise. I've since switched the Ravenna 3s and am hoping to get more use out of them.

I have not owned any other Brooks trainers besides the GTS 12s, so I don't know how they compare. I did read that they are intentionally designed to be beveled at the heel, but it just seems a little too much right now. The best way I can describe it is that they roll out naturally onto the outside side of each shoe if I apply pressure to the sole, rather than just stay flat like most running shoes. I'll post some pictures if that would help.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

huge Brooks fan here & have been wearing the Adrenalines for several years through all the different generations.  track mileage on them & usually get close to 500.  rotatating 2 GTS 11 & one GTS 12 right now.   the 12s have alittle over 100 right now.  every generation Brooks make small changes to them.   one thing about the 12's that I noticed right away is that the medial posts are longer  making them more for overpronators as opposed to mild-mod like myself.   not sure if that makes any difference in wear or not.  ????   just took a look at them & actually they do seem to have more heel wear on them than usual for only 100 miles or so.   uumm interesting

I've had a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 since November. They've been great so far, but I've recently noticed that I have

been getting pain mid-foot from my runs. At first, I thought there was no chance that it could be the shoe, since they only have

a little over 300 miles on them now. Still, I took a close look and noticed that the outside of each heel seems to taper upward

away from the ground, a little over 1 cm at max. If I put my hand in the shoe, I can roll it backward onto the heel - it's as if the mid-section of the shoe is holding more of the weight. I don't weigh an awful lot (120 lbs), but I have done a fair amount of steep hill running in these since I got them. Am I worrying more than need be?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here...  More specifically, I'm not sure if you are connecting two completely separate things...

I'm not sure if your observation (that the outside of each heel seems to taper upward away from the ground, a little over 1 cm at max. If I put my hand in the shoe, I can roll it backward onto the heel) is from the design or wear.  If you see the heel plug rubber wearing (usually there's some sort of alphabet or some design on the surface of rubber and you can see it's worn off) or the mid-sole, usually white, having lots of wrinkles, indicating the rubber has been compressed; then you may want to be a bit careful.  But otherwise, it's probably the design of the shoe itself.  The shoe itself seem to have a rather large round heel to begin with.  The shoe should have some sort of "rocking" motion--it's called the spring of the shoe--and, if the shoe is flat on the ground, you may have some other problems like black toe-nail, etc.  Years ago they came up with round heel but then they noticed that's where you do need rubber so, even though you may see some rounding, it's no longer shape of a ball.  Of course, if you run heel-to-toe, that's where you see the most wear.  

I don't necessarily trust the manufacturer's standard 100%; it's not uncommon to see some sort of defect within the reasonable degree.  If you actually have a pressure point in the mid-foot where you're not supposed to and you know it's from the shoe, you may want to consider maybe scraping off a small portion of removable insole.  Mid-foot area is actually a constant battle field for shoe manufacturers; that's where you do get a lot of wear because that's where you push-off, so you want rather hard, long-lasting material; yet, you want some cushion on that area because your foot gets a lot of beating there as well.  Some manufacturers place different material right underneath that area for protection/cushioning.  I don't know if Adrenaline has that but I know some models from Brooks has such feature.  

Your mid-foot pain may have come from "fair amount of steep hill running" and nothing to do with shoes.  Besides, I highly doubt excess heel wear causes mid-foot pain.  It may; but I doubt it.