How do you know what race distance is right for you? (Read 694 times)

Like everyone that's ever purchased dedicated running shoes, I want to run a marathon. I have no other reason for doing so than it's there. I've signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon in two months but I'm considering deferring until 2009 because I don't think I can meet my meager expectations and I don't want it to be a miserable and disappointing experience. I got to thinking about it and I have no reason for running it other than to say I've done it. Even if properly trained, my time would be laughable by any remotely serious runner. That got me thinking about why people are so hell-bent on running a marathon, which then led me to wondering what the right race for me really is. I'm never going to be elite and I'm never going to win anything so it would seem that I should run distances/races that are "fun". Does that seem about right? Am I missing something? How do you decide what races/distances are right for you?
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
    Scout7

Try them all out, and decide which one(s) provide the most satisfaction.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why can't you race multiple distances? I love the marathon. But sometimes I wonder if I should be striving for a 200 meter sprint, what with how my legs are built and all.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Like everyone that's ever purchased dedicated running shoes, I want to run a marathon. I have no other reason for doing so than it's there. I've signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon in two months but I'm considering deferring until 2009 because I don't think I can meet my meager expectations and I don't want it to be a miserable and disappointing experience.
          It's a good idea to hold off on the marathon until you feel ready. Too many people jump right into the marathon. If you run you're first when you're not ready, you could end up with a miserable experience will turn you off running completely. Even w/o the marathon, there's plenty of races to run. 5k, 8k, 10k, 15k, 10miler, HM. There's lots out there. Try 'em all and see what works for you.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

I did what Scout suggests, and over time decided that the half is my favorite distance. Also, don't just sample the menu once. It also comes down to what kind of training (and time for training, and desire for certain TYPES of training) you put in. This may change over time. Point of perspective: in the Maniacs, there is a hardcore set of us who have done tons and tons of marathons. After awhile, many people in this group go through the whole "well, what's next??" exercise. And they gravitate towards the next holy grail-like event: 100 milers. Not me. I don't care if it seems to hold some magical quality for some runners. I'm not built for it and I don't have the time to train for it. I'd much rather run a fast half or a medium-but-fun sociable half than run a 100 miler... Similarly, people who have yet to do a marathon seem to get encouraged that the marathon is a holy grail. And it can be! But it doesn't have to be. Unless you and your family's life depends on it, do what makes you happy. BTW, "happy" and "fun" can still imply hard work. Sometimes my most satisfying races were the ones that were hard as hell. Then again, sometimes the hard as hell races are just... hard as hell. I will not do the White River 50 Miler again for this very reason.

I love the marathon. But sometimes I wonder if I should be striving for a 200 meter sprint, what with how my legs are built and all.
              I had a great 40 time back in the day and never ran anything competitively over 200m. Two knee surgeries before the age of 16 (and another at 19 for good measure) cut my sprinting career short. I still love to run intervals (although I stopped doing speed work 6 months ago when it seemed counter-productive) and I know I don't have the normal long runner build (or aptitude). I've tried all the flavors up to 1/2 and I've ran training runs longer than that. I don't know for certain yet but I think I'll eventually settle into the 5-10K range. Are there any 30K races? It seems like that would be a sweet spot distance-wise (not for me but in general) but I never see anything that length.
              2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
              mikeymike

There are some 30K's around. In New England there are a few in the spring and the fall and I always try to include one in a marathon buildup. I really like them. I really don't see a need to specialize too much. I think my favorite distance to race is the half marathon, but I like to race them all. I tend to aim my training at a marathon, mostly because I feel like I have the most upside at that distance right now and the impeding event helps me stay focused. Mostly I just think of myself as a runner. If people ask me what distance I race, I say, "5K to marathon, mostly."

Runners run

Try them all - you will likely like lots of different distance (for different reasons) as they are all different...but you'll likely find one that sticks out as a favorite.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

heelgrad92

For me, one good reason to run a marathon is that it gave me long and short-term goals to strive for. I could not stick to running merely to stay "fit", though I wanted to always be fit. The unique challenge of the marathon presents a puzzle to be solved with each round of training. I have also vastly improved my race times at shorter distances as a result of marathon training. My 5K PR for instance went from 20:17 to 17:37. The marathon translates into the shorter distances but not the other way around. Though I have won local 5K's, I will never win any marathon I run, but there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that I feel after a marathon that the shorter races do not give me.
                    PDoe

I've run competitely for 3 years now and still don't feel the urge to do a marathon. Halves and under are working fine for me. If I do decide to do a marathon, it'll be because I'm closer to being able to do one now than I probably ever will be.
                      Carps10

you need to go to a sports scientist and get your ratio of slow twitch to fast twitch muscle fibers tested....jk you just need to try out different races and see what you are most comfortable with
                          My pimary motivation for running during my first full year of training was to race a marathon to the best of my ability. Although it was one of my greatest thrills to accomplish what I had set out to do, I have only run 7 more in the 30 years since that day. The marathon training was so beneficial that I started to do well in a variety of distances. I learned that there was a lot more to the sport than just running marathons and realized that I enjoyed racing all distances. I think that after we’ve had quite a few races we start to get an idea of what distances we do best at and which ones we most enjoy. The age-grading scales and equivalent time calculators are good tools for helping us know what our best distances are. Over the years I have done best at the mid-range between 10k and half marathon, while I haven’t done quite as well at the shortest distances and marathon. If I had to pick one distance I like most it would be the half marathon although I’ve scored highest at 10k.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm currently training for my first marathon...mostly just to experience it at least once. I already know that I LOVE distances from 15-25k, so if I decide that one marathon is enough, so be it. It's a much greater time and money commitment, so that works against it. Also doesn't help that my first significant injury came 2 weeks before training started and has nagged me for 3+ months, now. That kind of thing really wears on a person and colors their perception. Plus concentrating on a specific range of distances allows one to specialize and get relatively good at that range. I'm really bummed that I won't be able to fit a HM in this year, as a matter of fact. I always enjoyed training for my halfs (halves?) and 25ks, but I'm not really lovin' the marathon training, thus far. Right now I am 11.5 weeks into an 18 week training plan and the taper cannot come soon enough, at this point. So it's great to have a lofty goal like the marathon, but it's also OK to do one and never do another...or be content with shorter distances from the get-go, too. Most of us who start running in our 30s find that all distances are a major accomplishment and something to be proud of.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Are there any 30K races? It seems like that would be a sweet spot distance-wise (not for me but in general) but I never see anything that length.
                              Don't know where you live but I just ran a 30 in Toronto. It was great event, held in the evening so you finished after 9pm. There was a beer tent onsite,barbecue. & DJ. It was a great time 5 of us RA'ers ran the event some did the 15k. Much better than the standard here is your Bagel, banana and yogurt, see ya next year. Oh yeah the 30k distance was fun. MTA- ther is also the "AROUND THE BAY" which is also the oldest race in North America. It's held in Hamilton Ontario (Half hour from Toronto), at the end of March.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

We have a couple 30Ks here. One of them is timed in the spring to be a nice training race for boston. Its a wicked fahhhst race considering most of the runs done by that club are "pedestrian" in pace. I like HM's the best. I ran 4 or 5 last year and felt I was weaker in the 10K so this year I ran a lot of 10K's I learned a lot more from 10K's that is helping me at all distances, but I still like HM's best. Next year I'll probably do more HM, 20K and 30 events and fewer 10's. But I try to get some of all the distances in, including 5K's which I detest. What we dont have many of that I see a lot of people talk about are 10 milers.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7