What to drink on long runs... (Read 1926 times)

I tend to sweat a lot too, and I carry Gatorade on my longer runs. I used to carry water when I lived in Florida. Actually I would freeze bottles of water and carry the ice so that it melted steadily during the run. That kept the drink cool and also prevented me from gulping too much too soon. Since I moved to Toronto I switched to Gatorade. Reason? I run outside during the winter and I found that the water in my bottle would actually start to freeze. Ice chips in Florida in July are awesome. Ice chips in Canada in January are not so awesome. The Gatorade seems to not freeze as quickly as the water though I can't imagine why. Last I checked Gatorade does not contain amonia. Hmmmmm. Now I wonder if perhaps my wife is secretly putting anti-freeze in my Gatorade bottles. Awwwww, you just gotta love those wacky redheads.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Gatorade seems to not freeze as quickly as the water though I can't imagine why. Last I checked Gatorade does not contain amonia. Hmmmmm. Now I wonder if perhaps my wife is secretly putting anti-freeze in my Gatorade bottles. Awwwww, you just gotta love those wacky redheads.
      Maybe she's sneaking some vodka in...? Evil grin I wonder if sugar changes the way stuff freezes. Kind of like popsicles vs. ice cubes. Plain old ice cubes always seem to freeze harder/denser.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Misinformation Officer

It's the salt.
        mikeymike

In the summer I usually just drink water--most of my routes pass a park or ballfield or something where there's a water fountain. In the winter I don't tend to need fluids on my long runs.

Runners run

Ostrich runner

Rolling Rock if available. Otherwise, water... "No calories unless it has benefits."
            That's pretty much a wash isn't it?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I am a camel back fan. I do mostly trail running in the Mountains. Some routes I don't have the ability to use my car as an aid station so I can carry everything I need. I can carry up to 100 Oz of water, Gu's, electrolyte tablets, Hammer drink and clothes. I don't normally use Gatorade. Too much sugar upsets my stomach. I never put anything but water in my camelback. Its easy to clean if it doesn’t have bacteria causing agents in it.
              If you're bored ask why you're boring
                I like my Amphipod belt (adjustable) with the little 8 oz bottles. The weight can be distributed so that it doesn't bounce. I personally don't use Gatorade, etc, in training runs because that stuff has sugar/calories and I'm not trying to train myself to consume sugar - I'm trying to train the body to run off of its stored fuel reserves.
                Ditto on both counts. I started the day of my most recent run (a LR) skipping breakfast and just drinking a cup of coffee. I drank 2 x 20 oz Propel drinks during the run. I think that was a bad move from the perspective of my heart-health. I was maintaining my HR at at 180-age. Thoughts?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

JimR

Thought you'd just lace up and go!
                  that actually works surprisingly well. usually just water for me, handheld in a bottle, or just from the fountains in the park system
                  Lane

It's the salt.
                    Anything that's in the gatorade will lower it's freezing temperature. That includes the salt and the sugar. http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Ce-Co/Colligative-Properties.html Salt just works twice as well to keep water from freezing because it dissociates into two units, the Na+ and Cl- ions, where sugar does not, and remains one unit.