half marathon distance still intimidating (Read 301 times)

npaden

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this or not, but I would cut the 12 miler the week before the race, especially if that would just be 7 days before the race.  I like to taper for about 10 days for a half marathon if possible with the last tough workout falling right at 10 days before the race.  Maybe cut the 12 miler back to 8 or so if it is 7 days before the race.

My 2 cents, probably not worth that much.

Nathan.

PS - your long runs you have scheduled are plenty for a half marathon in my opinion.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Can I say that I'm really excited to see how you do?

I think you're in great shape.  I've done exactly one half, and I did it on a finish-it plan with a long run of 13 miles.  You're far more prepared than I was, and I had a BLAST at my first.  I was a little sore the next day but nothing obscene.  Go out under control and easy*, and enjoy it!

*i.e., not like me, who started out 30 seconds under pace and paid for it pretty hard at mile 11....

IsaacRigel

5 weeks to go till my first half marathon race and training is going fairly well.   (My log is available for those interested). BUT!  the distance of 13.1 miles is still mentally intimidating and challenging to me. 

In the past few months I  have done 2 long runs of 13.1 and several long runs in the 11-12+ mile range.   These days I am finding the distance of 10 miles to be non-intimidating, whereas before I started training for the half I used to think 10 miles was impossibly long when my "long" runs were just 7 miles.  Does the mental challenge of 13.1  become easier the more you do it or do I need to do even higher mileage long runs to make 13.1 seem less intimidating?  With five weeks to go, I am planning two of my long runs be in the 14 mile range and one in the 13 mile range.  Should I bump up one of those 14 miles to 15 miles?  Or is that asking for trouble at this point?  My long runs are looking like this over the next five weeks:

10 (cut back week)

race

And  does anyone use any kind of mental tricks on race day to make the half marathon distance less intimidating?.  Do you break it down into more mentally manageable chunks like:

3 x 4 miles + 1.1

4 x 3 miles + 1.1

2 x 5 miles + 5k

or even

2 x 6 miles + 1.1?

or do you just run one mile at a time?

Thanks!

I think what you have is a good foundation. Just keep building and trust in the process. Start off the 14+ mi runs conservatively and have a game plan for hydration along the way. Just have fun. After the race, however it goes, go out and celebrate some. Think over stuff that you could do better or differently in the race and training while the race is still fresh in your mind, then set another goal soon afterwards to help keep yourself on track to keep making fitness gains. Best of luck to you!

NHLA

Your training looks good.

Don't go out too fast.

The excitement of the race will make the first few miles so easy its almost like you are only having to run eight miles.

One mental trick is a sailor knows 1/2 way is the fartherest you get from home. After you get 1/2 way think like you are headed home.

I like to run out and backs with negative splits while training. Turn around and run home. This will also keep you from starting too fast.

The easy way to run a neg split is don't run the first 1/2 too fast.

onefatchick

Yeah, I think going out too fast is something I really need to watch out for.  The first mile or so is a nice slight downhill.  When I did the 5k on this part of the course last year I mistakenly went out way too fast thinking I could get a lot of time off the clock, but I just died on the last mile and a half and it ended up costing time.  At least I know to expect it will feel way easy in the beginning and I need to be patient and to maintain good control the first five miles.  I hope to negative split the entire race but shall see.  There's a few mountains (hahaha!) to climb at the end and who knows what the wind direction and speed may be that day.  I am really hoping for a nice sunny day in the mid 50s at race time and no wind.  Is that too much to ask?

Keep Going

Yeah, I think going out too fast is something I really need to watch out for. 

But if you by chance you do go out too fast, don't sweat it. I go out too fast all the time. I have done it countless times and have blown up. LOL! It happens, we all do it. Slamming down a negative split on your first half isn't easy. The idea is to have fun. Don't expect to record perfect splits and this and that blah blah blah. Enjoy yourself, talk to other runners at the start line and during the run.

100 milers are my favorite

SMART Approach

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this or not, but I would cut the 12 miler the week before the race, especially if that would just be 7 days before the race.  I like to taper for about 10 days for a half marathon if possible with the last tough workout falling right at 10 days before the race.  Maybe cut the 12 miler back to 8 or so if it is 7 days before the race.

My 2 cents, probably not worth that much.

Nathan.

PS - your long runs you have scheduled are plenty for a half marathon in my opinion

+1. Use this long run day as a prep day for your half. Get up at same time. Consume what you would consume. Do your same warm up. Start run same time as race. Use first 2 miles to simulate race and pace and start a tad conservative. Take next 3-4 at your goal pace/goal effort. Cool down the last 2-3 miles with striders and easier pace. There is no reason (FOR YOU) to run longer that 8-9 miles 7 days before the race. Your training is in and there is a risk this could beat you up from a fitness stand point, 12 miles can only hurt you, not help you 7 days pre-race. Use this run as a pre-race simulator and confidence builder yet it will still be a nice work out you can bounce back from before race day.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Yeah, I think going out too fast is something I really need to watch out for.  The first mile or so is a nice slight downhill.  When I did the 5k on this part of the course last year I mistakenly went out way too fast thinking I could get a lot of time off the clock, but I just died on the last mile and a half and it ended up costing time.  At least I know to expect it will feel way easy in the beginning and I need to be patient and to maintain good control the first five miles.  I hope to negative split the entire race but shall see.  There's a few mountains (hahaha!) to climb at the end and who knows what the wind direction and speed may be that day.  I am really hoping for a nice sunny day in the mid 50s at race time and no wind.  Is that too much to ask?

Seconds saved in the early miles tend to end up being minutes lost later on in the race - START SLOW.   I saw in an earlier post that you were thinking about going out with a pace team.   I think this is a great idea IF the pacer seems to know what he/she is doing.   I currently pace more marathons than I race each year, as I thoroughly enjoy helping people reach their goals.   Talk to the pacer at the expo or in the corral the morning of the race to find out his/her strategy.   Keep in mind not all pacers are good pacers in terms of race strategy.   If they talk about banking any amount of time early on I would probably just start out running your own race and plan on catching up to them later on.  However, if they plan to run even splits or even start a touch slow then I would be inclined to start with them.  Ask them how many races they have paced as well, and you will get a feel for how much you can trust them.   Finally once the race starts just watch those first few miles - if the pacer is way fast then back off and run your own race.   These are the items to watch, however, MOST pacers do an awesome job nailing there respective splits/times and can REALLY help you to hold back in those early miles when the adrenaline is flowing.  They can also really help to cheer you on that final mile or so when the going gets tough.   Not to mention the time can really fly by when you have a group of runners together.   Good luck!

onefatchick

Really appreciate everyone's input regarding my long runs these last few weeks.

As it turns out, on my cut-back week I did not do a long run.  I was feeling so fatigued and dead from work and just couldn't muster the energy for a semi-long run that week.  But I think taking that break was just what I needed at that point; felt like I was able to recover and train really well the last three weeks.

The rest of the long runs were a little shorter than what I originally planned, but long enough at 12, 13 and 12.   My last "long" run was yesterday and I pretty much followed TChuck's specific suggestion.  (Thanks TChuck!).  That run yesterday felt like it was great preparation and I feel "rarin to go"  today!  Today I plan a 4-5 mile slow recovery run; followed by a day of rest on Monday.  Not sure what the rest of the week should look like.  I'm thinking of running Tues (5-6 mile tempo), recovery of 4-5 miles on Wed.  and then 3 slow and easy on Fri.   I don't want to overdo it this coming week, but don't want to feel slow and rusty come Saturday.  Any suggestions?

+1. Use this long run day as a prep day for your half. Get up at same time. Consume what you would consume. Do your same warm up. Start run same time as race. Use first 2 miles to simulate race and pace and start a tad conservative. Take next 3-4 at your goal pace/goal effort. Cool down the last 2-3 miles with striders and easier pace. There is no reason (FOR YOU) to run longer that 8-9 miles 7 days before the race. Your training is in and there is a risk this could beat you up from a fitness stand point, 12 miles can only hurt you, not help you 7 days pre-race. Use this run as a pre-race simulator and confidence builder yet it will still be a nice work out you can bounce back from before race day.

Adam Gentile

There is not need to run 14 miles in training for half marathon, it's overkill.  And i would make that 12 miler the week before the half to 8 miles.  A 12 miler a week out before the race has no benefits whatsoever.

npaden

I would skip a 5-6 mile Tempo this week.  If you want to throw in some speed work, do some strides on a couple of your easy runs.  Maybe change that 5-6 mile Tempo into a fast finish type run but I wouldn't do more than a mile of it at Tempo pace.  You might get away with the Tempo 5 days before the race but if you are fatigued at all it could hurt you a lot more than it might help.

My 2 cents.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BeeRunB

And  does anyone use any kind of mental tricks on race day to make the half marathon distance less intimidating?

The intimidation you perceive is your own creation. Deal with a race as you would life: stay in the present and remember that your thoughts and memories aren't reality--just little movies in your head that exist for survival and creativity reasons. Then get busy being creative and involved in things that keep your interested, one step at a time. When the time for the race is at hand, you'll run it one stride at a time and run the race you're most interested in creating. If that means you want to achieve a certain pace plan, a PR,  or just let go and run and let it be what it will be, or just enjoy the scenery---just create it the best you can. Like a painting or a performance of a song, you might nail it perfectly, or it won't come out right, or it will be mediocre.  I'm 99% certain you'll feel alive at the end of the race and glad you made the attempt to create and achieve a vision. 

onefatchick

Barefoot Gentile, I ended up running 8 miles (instead of 12+) for my last long run --- 1 week before my race next Saturday.  I  did get some really good advice here on these forums!

Nathan, I will take your good advice and not do the 5-6 miles tempo.

jimmyb, My mind is a fickle thing-hopefully I can stay focused on all the good things and not let the negatives slip in and interfere with what should be a great day.  If the negatives do start to slip in, I will remind myself of the great psychological advice you've given here!

Adam Gentile

Good luck, and more importantly have fun!

GinnyinPA

While training for my first marathon, a friend gave me some advice that resonated with me.  I was worried about the jump from the 20 miles I'd run in training to 26.2 in the race.  Since all my long runs felt difficult, how could I do so much more?  She told me, "Run the mile you're in.  Don't focus on the miles ahead, just worry about getting through this mile. You can do that."

What has amazed me in both half marathons and my marathon was how quickly the miles passed when I was actually racing them.  Much faster than while training.  When I was with other people, I could focus on them to some extent.  When running alone, I could focus on the scenery, on my form, on just being fully present in the moment.  And the miles just flew by.