15 year old marathoner (Read 390 times)

kilkee

runktrun

Maybe the heavy urge you feel is just from too many tacos?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

In all fairness, you are asking runners on a running website how to prepare for and run a marathon. In one more attempt to be helpful, seriously, maybe something like this is what you are looking for.

AlexJohnson

Don't just do a marathon to do it. This is actually about being smart and thinking it through. Sure you could do the marathon and kill yourself. To be completely honest you may be able to complete a marathon. It would be the most painful thing you've done. You would be doing over 2.6 times your weekly mileage in one day. I'm not going to act like I know a bunch of technical stuff about running because I'm 15 too, but this just doesn't sound smart. I would do some shorter stuff if I were you then do a marathon when you're older. I run over 50 miles per week and I still wouldn't do a marathon just to do it. It's just not smart at this age.

Feeling the growl again

A marathon is a perfectly fit goal for me right now. 

Absolutely  For 2020 or so.

Frankly it is clear you DON'T understand the work and dedication to train for and complete a marathon, because you are immediately taking shortcuts by not training for a minimum of 1-2 years to strengthen your body for the rigor of both training and the distance, and not putting in the consistent work for months on end to do it.

I had been running for 10 years when I ran my first marathon, including collegiately.  I trainged 50 mpw.  It still sucked.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SevenDeadlyShins

THUGLIFE

Yeah, your 2020 goal is something i despise as in a reply to my perfect goal for me. I doubt I need 5 years of training for that @spaniel. Like you said, you still did 50mpw and you ran one and it still sucked. Well I only run 8-10 miles a week and it would be rough as well. There's no change. I will work towards one even on undertrainment. I am not doing a marathon just to do one @AlexJohnson. There is a little bit more then what i let off that is going towards this marathon. Already it appears to me that no matter if you do 5 miles a week or 50. You can still train for a marathon and still get beat up tremendously in the process. I don't eat tacos FYI @kilkee. You are a better runner and more experienced runner of that than to me but that is one thing you don't have correct. Now I have ate some unhealthy stuff before and I do realize that. I don't need to do my marathon at the 3:00 mark at all or anywhere close. I got my openings to work with. I am not trying to put myself in a me against the world stage. More of me against 26.2 miles. No one makes me not train for a 10k and then the day of the race show up for same-day registration and go out and run it. Of course I may end up walking a total of a mile or so of it combined at walk breaks but there is no one that can say you can't do that. These races are open to anyone who wants to run/walk them and that can complete it. I maybe crazy for trying to run a marathon undertrained but the 15 year old that sits back and smokes weed everyday is doing everything ok? No i think he is breaking the law which I believe is much worse than undertraining for a marathon, but then again that's about as off topic as someone telling me I eat too many tacos or that people ride the TROLLER-COASTER for all the unsupportive and negative know-it-all's that say if you don't run 150 miles a week then don't even dream about running a marathon. That's right, when you sleep at night don't dream about it or I will jump in your dream and smack it right out of you. "Nuh-uh, you only run 149 miles a week. You got to 150 miles a week to dream this big wimp". Or is this just an over-exaggeration and means nothing. Maybe that. I understand I asked for advice and whatever on the page. But i found this page to be like any other page. A big group who all jump together when something doesn't just feel right. If your not like them and you haven't done this and you have not done that then don't. I will let everyone know. I dang well better not ask for advice for a 5k. I asked for advice for a marathon and you guys had a heart attack.

Bests...

1 mile: 5:44

2 mile: 12:48 

5k: 20:05

10k: 57:55 

I heard you're a player. Nice to meet you, I'm the coach. 

AlexJohnson

No one is having a heart attack. No one is overreacting. You came on here saying that you want to run 26.2 miles on only 10 weeks of training. People are trying to stop you for your own good. I don't care whether or not you do it. You should really consider why you want to do it. Is it for you or is it because you want to tell people that you nearly died trying to run 26.2 miles with minimal training? Just imagine how good you could be with a whole year of training. If you're not willing to work for a year to run a formidable and safe marathon, then you probably shouldn't be running the marathon in the first place.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Reminds me of the style of TheMysteryOne.

keeponrunning

Maybe you'll listen to me because I'm not that much older than you (I'm 22) and was once a fairly decent track and xc runner.  Probably not, but I'll try anyway.

What you're proposing is a bad idea.  I ran 10-20mpw throughout high school and thoroughly enjoyed it.  My training allowed me to run respectable times at distances from the 400m up to a 10 miler without too much discomfort.  I was strongly considering a half marathon when I injured my knee.  Looking back, I'm amazed I managed to run the times I did on the amount of training I had (I believe my 10 miler was 1:24 and change).

After recovering from my injury, I ran my first half on under 20 mpw.  I finished, but it was a slow death march to the finish.  To run a marathon on that mileage is frankly stupid.  You might finish a marathon on that, but it will be neither pleasant nor fast.  You mentioned that you want to get back in shape for fall xc, which I can understand.  However, if you injure yourself running a marathon, you won't be doing xc at all.  A better idea for you now would be to slowly build up a base to 30mpw+ for xc.  You could do something like this:

July 26-Aug 1-- 15mpw

Aug. 2-8-- 18mpw

Aug. 9-15-- 23mpw

Aug. 16-22-- 28mpw

Aug. 23-29-- 30mpw

Aug. 30-Sept. 4-- 30mpw

That would give you a good base for XC.  I'm not sure what distance you run, around here it's 7km for gr. 11 boys.  Regardless, 30mpw would be a great base to head into fall training with and I could see you easily taking a few minutes off of your 10km time with smart fall training.  I'm female and I managed to run a 49min 10km on much less than 30mpw.

If you want more comparison, I did 6 half marathons and a 25km before attempting a full.  A full was a struggle for me, and I ran 35-40mpw while training for it.  I wouldn't do another one until I could manage 50mpw+.

MTA:  Also, having you even found a marathon that will allow you to run?  Around here, the majority have a minimum age of 18.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

DavePNW

I asked for advice for a marathon and you guys had a heart attack gave me advice for a marathon.

FYP. 

Dave

#artbydmcbride

I say go for it..but get some long runs in beforehand...a few 18 milers and a 20 mile run or two.   Come back and tell us how excited you are about racing 26.2 miles after you do those training runs.  

Runners run

Reminds me of the style of TheMysteryOne.

+1.

OP: 0/10.

PDoe

Don't be afraid to put some effort  into school either. Besides improving your grammar, it may help you sort out good ideas from bad ideas. Many have dreamed of running a marathon. That doesn't mean they weren't willing to put in the work that comes along with accomplishing a goal.

I 'dream' of being rich. I'm waiting for my lottery number to come in, then I will be.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A marathon is a perfectly fit goal for me right now. I know of a few people have ran a half marathon and even a full with little to no training. Of course they were already a prehand runner somewhat but they didn't follow a program. Some even entered three days before the race and although painful for them, they still finished. I would be surprised if other then Olympian runners ran a marathon and said. No big deal, even with training. Most people hit the wall as I hear it. These "wall-hitters" are usually the average-Joe runners out there. These are people that have trained a while but they are not out there going for a Boston Marathon qualifying time. So that is something I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between.

I'm not questioning whether the marathon is a fit goal for you now, but the timing is atrocious. Trying to prepare for one in 10 weeks starting from where you are in your training is begging for trouble. First I'll correct a few point:

1) When you enter a race is irrelevant, it's what you've done to prepare for it that's important.

2) I'm by no means an Olympian, I rarely even placed in local races when I was younger, but running a marathon really is no big deal. I find it a long, boring race for the most part. Running a marathon to your potential is another matter, but then that's true for any distance race.

3) Hitting the wall is more often a matter of poor pacing, not lack of training, the exception being runners trying to do what you propose.

The biggest obstacle I see for you though, is not your lack of base, but your attitude. You seem so cock sure of yourself that you ignore and disregard the advice of experienced runners, some of who have also been coaches. I can see you also ignoring the aches and pains you will probably have, push through warning signs as you follow the No Pain, No Gain approach, and run yourself into a self inflicted injury.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

xhristopher

Welcome, fool. This place is filled with fools, so you will fit right in. There is even a marathon for fools who congregate here. It's one you can't train for. In fact, many fools around here run it annually with less training than you. Nobody ever tries to talk them out of it. Rather, the foolish parade of suck is celebrated. Youth is about making bad decisions and being resilient. Embrace your upcoming shufflefest of suck with your head held high. Bragging rights for a 6 hour marathon and a 3 hour marathon are equal to over 90% of the population.

DoppleBock

I was being serious - I gave you a serious plan

The little sister comment was not jibberish - It is a comment about how everyone wants to run a marathon to complete one, even if they are not trained or should not run one.  They used to take down the finishe line at 4 hours because running a marathon was about testing how fast you could run one.  It has went from a competetive sport to a completion sport.

I was serious about the 50k - A 50k on trails is easier on your body than a marathon on roads and likely the race director will let you in.

Remember when you are trying to understand what someone types you can take it possitively or negatively and you chose the later.

I was trying to figure out your athletic background as your 10k times were not a sign of good fitness

No one here would recommend running a marathon under trained and at your age - I spent the time to give you a plan anyway, becasue I am wired that if I chose to do it at 15 I would with help or not.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !