Color Run? Whats the Point (Read 477 times)

Is the color run basically a group fun run that you have to pay $45.00 to do?   For you that have done this, what was your experience?  Did you have fun?  Was it worth the money?

http://thecolorrun.com/

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'd never run one on my own, but if a girlfriend or someone's child or grand-child asked to do it, I don't see the harm.  There's little difference between that and spending money to go to an amusement park, so I don't see any need to be bothered by it.  Frankly, I'm a little miffed that I didn't come up with the idea as a way to make money myself.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

"Amusement park" might be the right concept.

I haven't done one (and have no interest - too many other things to do in life), but there was a color run recently in Anchorage. The participants comments should help answer OP's question. (financial analysis of article is interesting, but not the point for OP)  It was the largest "run" ever held in the state. It got people outdoors and moving for a little while. No harm, no foul.

But the best-known and most-competitive running race in Alaska happens on July 4.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Queen of 3rd Place

It got people outdoors and moving for a little while. No harm, no foul.

This. I have non-running friends who do these.

Ex runner

#artbydmcbride

Outdoorsy, active, opportunity for photos to post on facebook.."look at me, look at me!"

Same idea as the Mud Runs really, but cleaner!

Runners run

Color Run? Whats the Point?

To get a finisher's medal, of course.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I'd be interested in the rates of reactive airway issues from all that stuff they throw at you.

That might make an interesting study.  Any med students out there looking for a research project?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

My running friends wanted to do The Color Run twice in New Orleans.  It is not really my thing, but I went along.  I think the "color" is colored cornstarch.  You don't really "run", you have to go slowly through the color areas.  DO NOT LET THEM SQUIRT in your face, obviously.  They sell alot of crap at the start line, poor quality t-shirt, but it is kinda fun with a group.

We had a big tail gate picnic after both races, which was the most fun of all.

Julia1971

The cost doesn't bother me.  If people want to spend $45 on one, more power to them.

I don't see the fun of getting covered in colored cornstarch.  But, that could be that even 25 years later, I'm thinking, "My mom would kill me if I came home like this".

Our city had a color run a few weeks ago. For at least a month before, everyone I know asked me, "Hey--are you doing the color run?" I even thought about having a shirt printed that would read, "No, I'm NOT doing the color run." I was relieved when it was finally over. Now I'm still getting, "Hey--did you do the color run?"

xhristopher

There are a lot of people in the world and the internet does a good job at bringing people with weird interests and fetishes together.

dennrunner

Our city had a color run a few weeks ago. For at least a month before, everyone I know asked me, "Hey--are you doing the color run?" I even thought about having a shirt printed that would read, "No, I'm NOT doing the color run." I was relieved when it was finally over. Now I'm still getting, "Hey--did you do the color run?"

So..."color you annoyed"???

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Same idea as the Mud Runs really, but cleaner!

The most recent, massive MI mud run (a Tough Mudder event) has now caused numerous people to come down with what appears to be Noro virus.  Not sure if that's a hazard of rolling around with 20k people in the mud or all those port-a-johns with ineffective alcohol-based hand sanitizer.  One day you roll around in the mud...a few days later you blow it!  This would probably not be the most effective ad-slogan for these sort of events to adopt, methinks...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I typically roll my eyes at such events, but in this case one of these motivated my wife to sign up for her first run in . years. good enough for me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

I typically roll my eyes at such events, but in this case one of these motivated my wife to sign up for her first run in . years. good enough for me.

Awwww!